NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Nov 21, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #887 of 4,971
  Does the Valhalla not have preamp outs? 

Do you need the size of the Magni/Vali?  If not, consider either an Asgard2 or a Lyr.  Both have preamp outputs.  You said you were willing to pay more for the output option, so consider an Asgard.  $249, more and better power than Magni and pre-outs. If you want tubes, it's a larger jump to the Lyr in price, but it opens the world of tube rolling etc. 

@Mshenay Unfortunately, the Valhalla does not have preamp outs =(

@leesure yes, I was looking at both the Asgard 2 and the Lyr, but after reading this thread I have been very interested in the Vali, and I have been interested in tubes. The Lyr was my main focus because I do want tubes, but if the Vali can drive the HD650's and sound good at the $119 - $129 price point then I am very interested in that.

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #888 of 4,971
I'm very much looking forward to the Vali. Hopefully after the delay they won't come back with a higher price.

I just purchased a Schiit Magni/Modi stack and an Asgard 2. They're on their way now. I didn't know about the existence of the Vali until after I made this purchase.

I hate purchasing something and then finding out something better in the price range has just been released soon after. I wonder if that will be the case with the Magni vs the Vali.

Even so, I'll probably still get the Vali if it's all it's cracked up to be. At the price, I would still probably want one.

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #889 of 4,971

@Mshenay Unfortunately, the Valhalla does not have preamp outs =(

@leesure yes, I was looking at both the Asgard 2 and the Lyr, but after reading this thread I have been very interested in the Vali, and I have been interested in tubes. The Lyr was my main focus because I do want tubes, but if the Vali can drive the HD650's and sound good at the $119 - $129 price point then I am very interested in that.

It should drive the HD650's very nicely.  You'll just need a Y-splitter between your computer or DAC and the amp so you can send signal to both the Vali and your powered speakers.

A pair of these should do the trick...

http://www.audioadvisor.com/AudioQuest-Hard-Y-Adapter-1-Male-to-2-Female-RCAs/productinfo/AQM22FHRD/#.Uo55OyRDDTw

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #890 of 4,971

I hate purchasing something and then finding out something better in the price range has just been released soon after. I wonder if that will be the case with the Magni vs the Vali.

Better is a subjective thing.  Different for sure.  Better is for you to decide.  Fortunately, you can get both and return the one you don't prefer. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #891 of 4,971
What about, say connecting a 3.5mm jack/cable from the headphone out of the Titanium HD to the Aux in of the powered desktop speakers would that work also? That way I can leave the RCA's connected to the Vali?

That is definitely worth trying.  In fact, you can just compare connecting the RCA outs to the speakers to connecting the 3.5mm to the speakers and see if there is any sound difference.

And yes, the DAC chip in the TItanium HD is high quality, and you would have to spend at least $350 to get better sound quality and that would be mostly due to being able to use Asynchronous USB connected DAC as opposed to sound card DAC.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #892 of 4,971
That is definitely worth trying.  In fact, you can just compare connecting the RCA outs to the speakers to connecting the 3.5mm to the speakers and see if there is any sound difference.

And yes, the DAC chip in the TItanium HD is high quality, and you would have to spend at least $350 to get better sound quality and that would be mostly due to being able to use Asynchronous USB connected DAC as opposed to sound card DAC.

Really? $350? The $99 Modi gives you a high quality 24/96 asynchronous USB DAC.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #893 of 4,971

Really? $350? The $99 Modi gives you a high quality 24/96 asynchronous USB DAC.

I didn't say that Asynchronous USB DACs cost $350.   I said that it would cost $350 to get a better DAC than the Titanium HD, and that the Asynchronous USB DAC would be the biggest source of improvement.

Don't read so fast...

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #894 of 4,971
I didn't say that Asynchronous USB DACs cost $350.   I said that it would cost $350 to get a better DAC than the Titanium HD, and that the Asynchronous USB DAC would be the biggest source of improvement.

Don't read so fast...

I read your post carefully. You wrote that the primary increase in sound quality would come from using an outboard asynchronous USB DAC. You also wrote that the improvement would require a $350 expenditure. I simply pointed out that you can get a high quality asynchronous USB DAC for $99.

If you wanted to say "that it would cost $350 to get a better DAC than the Titanium HD" then you should write more clearly.

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #895 of 4,971
I read your post carefully. You wrote that the primary increase in sound quality would come from using an outboard asynchronous USB DAC. You also wrote that the improvement would require a $350 expenditure. I simply pointed out that you can get a high quality asynchronous USB DAC for $99.

If you wanted to say "that it would cost $350 to get a better DAC than the Titanium HD" then you should write more clearly.

Oh snap!

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #896 of 4,971

just kidding
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #897 of 4,971
Hello All

First time posting so be gentle.
tongue_smile.gif
  I just finished reading through this whole thread.  I just got my Schiit Modi today and am waiting hungerly like everyone else here to order the Vali. Apparently Monday Nov.25 is the most likely date I've read from Jason.  I'm keeping my Schiit refreshed every hour or so just for fun
bigsmile_face.gif
  For some reason the site won't let me change my avatar so sorry the the lame stock one.

Have fun

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #899 of 4,971
Yes it feels like it has taken me the month and a half since the start of the thread to read all of it.  At least I got some good laughs at the Schiit jokes.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back