NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Nov 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #796 of 4,971

Unfortunately the Vali isn't really "out in the field" so to speak for testing. If you aren't in a huge rush, I'd wait another 2 weeks or so. By that time a good number of people will have both, and maybe even a few will have the DT880 and a Vali. With that information you'll be in a better place to decide. 

A little OT, but I don't think I've really heard anyone describe the DT880 as "bright". What are you plugging them into?

Oh yes the DT 880 are on the bright side. I've owned 2 Dt 880s and I still feel they are bright headphones. Granted very balanced but still a smidge bright,

Non the less I agree, wait a few weeks on getting on. Till the hype dyes down and ppl can a get chance to flesh out the amp. But it boils down to preferance. I owned a Solid State and Tube at one time, both where quality wise on about the same level. I hapapend to like my Solid State over my tube, so I went that direction. What you like will depend on your preferance, and I would to get both the Vali and Mangi at the same time. Schiit may charge you a small restocking fee to return it, but you could also resell it here on head fi Or you can start with the Vali, and if you don't like it trade it for a Magni! 

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #797 of 4,971
Thanks guys, I'll wait for the Vali and see how it goes.
I've seen many people in the dt880 thread say it's bright. I also have a pair of Shure SRH440, and its treble is nowhere near the dt880. I prefer the sound of the dt880 though. I'm just afraid the Magni may make it too bright. 
I don't have any dac/amp so I just plug the dt880 straight to my laptop for now. The laptop can make it loud enough, my normal listening volume is 6-10% for ~50 Ohm hp and IEMs, and 18-28% for this headphone. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #799 of 4,971

Unfortunately the Vali isn't really "out in the field" so to speak for testing. If you aren't in a huge rush, I'd wait another 2 weeks or so. By that time a good number of people will have both, and maybe even a few will have the DT880 and a Vali. With that information you'll be in a better place to decide. 

A little OT, but I don't think I've really heard anyone describe the DT880 as "bright". What are you plugging them into?

A LOT of people have said DT880s are bright

Look at the 6db peak at 8-9 khz there.

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #800 of 4,971

U think that's bright go look at the DT 990 or T90 xD 

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #801 of 4,971

Huh, well I guess at the time I had them I was comparing to a pair of DT990s 
redface.gif
, so my reference was probably in comparison to those. Most of the time I hear the DT880 being described as close to neutral, but that probably is also in reference to the DT990. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #802 of 4,971

Huh, well I guess at the time I had them I was comparing to a pair of DT990s 
redface.gif
, so my reference was probably in comparison to those. Most of the time I hear the DT880 being described as close to neutral, but that probably is also in reference to the DT990. 

xD the DT 880 is very close to neutral and the DT 990 is pretty much the oppisite of that, although I owned and enjoyed them both at the SAME time  

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #803 of 4,971
I think I will get the vali to try it with my T1. I much prefer the T1 now than the DT 880, but still for the price the DT880 are excellent.

Do there is anything better then T1 available (more precise?)

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #804 of 4,971
  xD the DT 880 is very close to neutral and the DT 990 is pretty much the oppisite of that, although I owned and enjoyed them both at the SAME time  

DT880 may have been called neutral in the past but with more understanding of what's neutral in headphones it would better be caracterized as a slightly bright and and basslight headphone.

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #805 of 4,971
  I'm torn between getting the Vali or the Magni. My Beyer DT 880/250 Pro just arrived yesterday. Out of the box, it's a bit bright, but still ok for my ears (I like treble). I've read that the Magni is brighter, while the Vali produces slower bass. I listen to a lot of symphonic metal (metal + orchestra), so I want the phone to be fast, with good bass & instrument separation. I lean a bit towards the Magni, but the DT 880 is already bright so I don't know if I can stand it with a bright amp. My total budget for both amp+dac is $200. I'm also considering the O2 and E17, but all you schiit-heads have made the Magni/Vali/Modi stack very appealing to me 
biggrin.gif
. Can I have suggestions which one I should get? I appreciate all the help.

I have the dt880pro and o2+odac.Orchestra sounds kickass on the combo.I listen to fusion mostly like Lindsey Stirling and David Garrett and the sound is very good.What I feel is lacking is the instrument separation.Don't get me wrong.There is good amount of detail but I know dt880 can do better.I also have hd650 and I prefer dt880 as it sounds more natural and true to the recording.Hd650 sounds wow like no doubt but I prefer dt880.Both are great headphones and cover all the genres well.
     What I would suggest is wait for few more weeks and check out the general response on Vali as right now its slowly turning into an overhyped FOTM.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #806 of 4,971

DT880 may have been called neutral in the past but with more understanding of what's neutral in headphones it would better be caracterized as a slightly bright and and basslight headphone.

Bass Light... Oh yea well if your not giving it enough power I can see how you would find the bass lacking... interestingly... going balanced with my DT 880 gave the bass a little more kick, in addition it gave the mids a touch more body as well... 

But it is a touch bright... but as far as neutral goes you either have bright or dark, the "Mad Dog" is neutral but it's rather dark, and apprently the Alpha Dog is a touch bright.... 

Still your insulting the DT 880 on an DT 880 Thread :D beware... I bite ^^ 

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #807 of 4,971
  Bass Light... Oh yea well if your not giving it enough power I can see how you would find the bass lacking... interestingly... going balanced with my DT 880 gave the bass a little more kick, in addition it gave the mids a touch more body as well... 

But it is a touch bright... but as far as neutral goes you either have bright or dark, the "Mad Dog" is neutral but it's rather dark, and apprently the Alpha Dog is a touch bright.... 

I'm listening to my DT 880 03' at the moment and I agree with you, they have plenty of bass. I have the newest 600ohms and I think they are not as good, very little bass and with my setup I have plenty of power to spare.

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #808 of 4,971
  I'm listening to my DT 880 03' at the moment and I agree with you, they have plenty of bass. I have the newest 600ohms and I think they are not as good, very little bass and with my setup I have plenty of power to spare.

Yea that's another issue... Beyer's slide scale of prodcut quality... It appears with age the sound signiture changes a little... non the less I have a 600 ohm and I very much enjoy the bass it has! The same could be said about my Pro Model which I purchased new last year... 

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #809 of 4,971

It only drops roughly 5-8 dB from 200-20Hz which is rather good for (semi)open dynamic headphone. That is however not what could be considered neutral. It should have gone up a few dB above flat instead from 200 Hz
That is not the full story though. It would have been much easier if it where.
You have to look at other factor beyond FR. Even if you EQ the D5000, LCD-2, DT880, a TWFK in-ear, Stax X flat from 20-1kHz their bass would be totally different in regards to perceived amount, fullness, slam and weight.
The DT880 have a rather dry bass as well which makes them seem even a little more bass light. From my experince with Beyers they benefit from a warmer and lusher tube amp that roll of the treble somewhat and gives a small midbass boost or a Violectric SS amp.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #810 of 4,971

It only drops roughly 5-8 dB from 200-20Hz which is rather good for (semi)open dynamic headphone. That is however not what could be considered neutral. It should have gone up a few dB above flat instead from 200 Hz
That is not the full story though. It would have been much easier if it where.
You have to look at other factor beyond FR. Even if you EQ the D5000, LCD-2, DT880, a TWFK in-ear, Stax X flat from 20-1kHz their bass would be totally different in regards to perceived amount, fullness, slam and weight.
The DT880 have a rather dry bass as well which makes them seem even a little more bass light. From my experince with Beyers they benefit from a warmer and lusher tube amp that roll of the treble somewhat and gives a small midbass boost or a Violectric SS amp.

I suppose I like the drier bass, as I enjoyed my Solid State. The NFB 10ES2 does gives the mids a nice body and forwardness, in addition to a little more visceral bass. Non the less, the best thing about the DT 880 is so many of us like it for different reasons and enjoy it with so many different amps :3 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back