NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Oct 27, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #528 of 4,971
Hopefully it means a Lyr2 with the same 'lesson learned' mentality Schiit got when they made the Magni, Asgard2 and Bifrost Uber upgrade.

I'll repeat what I posted a couple weeke ago:
not that this is worth much or could be "set in stone", but I emailed Jason in late Aug before I pulled the trigger on a Lyr.
my basic question was: "are they any plans for a Lyr2 as I don't want to buy a tube amp now only to have new schiit render mine last generation."
jason answer:
"Not at the Moment".
pulled the trigger on the Lyr, got some great tubes and I've been set since with my HE-500.

Oct 27, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #530 of 4,971
I've decided to get a Vali for Christmas...but need to match it with a new headphone. I'm considering DT880, Q701, and HD600. 

Opinions? I listen to a little of everything, but tend toward pop and techno. I value detail level and sound stage.

I was previously underwhelmed by the Q701 (without an amp, which was obviously the problem) but thought the detail and sound stage were amazing. I live in the deep south and can't try anything out before I buy.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #532 of 4,971
I had a chance to try out the Vali at the Philly meet on Saturday. It's a nice punchy and articulate amp and I quite liked it. Is it the best amp priced under a certain amount of money? I don't have the experience to answer that, but I do know I liked it and was surprised at the quality for the price.

I took the chance to try them out with a low impedance sensitive headphone, the Denon D7000 which has an impedance of a 25 ohms and a sensitivity of 108db/mW (though because of the Lawton mods it may be a bit less sensitive). The noise floor definitely wasn't as low as my M-Stage, but it wasn't loud by any means. It wasn't noticeable over normal music (I didn't try music with very quiet sections, though), and even as I turned down the volume, it never overpowered the music or caused much of a problem. It actually sounded pretty nice. I may still pick it up to get a longer trial period with it.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #533 of 4,971
  Oh I know, it (Lyr) doesn't have to be at the moment, but sometime down the line-- even if it's like 1-2 years down the line.

oh yes, I would be in total agreement for that!  as long as the tube type doesn't change, I bet existing Lyr owners wouldn't mind an upgrade since the current price point certainly isn't super high.
whereas some folks tube investments might be.  ha!

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #534 of 4,971
Oct 28, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #535 of 4,971
It was a very popular little amp at my meet on Saturday, so I didn't get to spend any time with it there...I knew I'd have some time afterwards. I will listen today and post impressions with Grado 125si, Audez'e LCD-X's and HifiMan HE-400’s. And will also compare and contrast with the Magni.

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #536 of 4,971
popcorn.gif

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #538 of 4,971
I'm wondering how the Vali stacks up against the lyr?

In why sense?? The Vali puts out 650mW into 32 ohms. The Lyr is Ten times that. The Lyr is a tube roll-able hybrid amp designed to drive most anything. The Vali is a great little amp with a specific sound signature that outperforms its price point.

If you're hoping for a $120 amp that beats the Lyr, keep hoping.

That's based on about 30 minutes of listening to the Vali at RMAF & a couple of years with a Lyr at home. I'll give you more concrete impressions in a day or three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back