NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jul 19, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #4,788 of 4,971
I'm about to find out. I figured at a buck twenty it was a pretty low risk proposition. Didn't want to be utterly tubeless, you know?

Yes, I felt the same way before I bought my iCan.
But on the one hand Vali is not a real tube amp, it is a hybrid amp with micro tubes. With "tube like" sound.
On the other hand iCan is just simply better. More body to the sound, thicker, more fun.
The only advantage Vali has over the iCan is more space. But sound feels thin compared to the iCan.
(Have to mention though, iCan costs double of the Vali, so it is not really fair to compare.)

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #4,789 of 4,971
  Yes, I felt the same way before I bought my iCan.
But on the one hand Vali is not a real tube amp, it is a hybrid amp with micro tubes. With "tube like" sound.
On the other hand iCan is just simply better. More body to the sound, thicker, more fun.
The only advantage Vali has over the iCan is more space. But sound feels thin compared to the iCan.
(Have to mention though, iCan costs double of the Vali, so it is not really fair to compare.)

Actually the ss output stage is one thing I want, as that might help with orthos, not counting on it though.

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #4,790 of 4,971
Not enough voltage would result in clipping, a very noticeable distortion. One shouldn't make wild guesses as that can mislead others that do not have the technical background to understand.

do you know maximum output voltage of Vali? Or have you used T1 with Vali?
Sometimes, I feel that my T1 lacks in bass. I want to know if it's normal or not.

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #4,791 of 4,971
do you know maximum output voltage of Vali? Or have you used T1 with Vali?
Sometimes, I feel that my T1 lacks in bass. I want to know if it's normal or not.

The Beyerdynamic T1 has an impedance of 600 Ohms and a sensitivity of 102 db/mW.
The Vali can crank out 115 mw RMS at 600 Ohms. Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db, 5Hz-100KHz, -3dB
Which means that the Vali can push the T1 to about 122.6 db SPL continuously.
That should be enough to set one's ears on fire. The Vali's FR should not be an issue. Perhaps you prefer some bass boost or a set of cans that are bassier. Why not try some EQ?

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #4,792 of 4,971
  The Beyerdynamic T1 has an impedance of 600 Ohms and a sensitivity of 102 db/mW.
The Vali can crank out 115 mw RMS at 600 Ohms. Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db, 5Hz-100KHz, -3dB
Which means that the Vali can push the T1 to about 122.6 db SPL continuously.
That should be enough to set one's ears on fire. The Vali's FR should not be an issue. Perhaps you prefer some bass boost or a set of cans that are bassier. Why not try some EQ?

Thanks,
I'm familiar with basic calculation of loudness. But, from other side, I don't consider myself a basshead at all.
I have used w4r for years and I always thought that it can have a little less bass.
I've played with equalizer, it makes some frequencies sounds louder (it's a good thing at this situation) but EQ doesn't make a note to sound thicker or hit harder. I feel that base is not punchy enough or mid is a little thin. 
That's why I asked here, I want to see the result of driving T1 with Vali from someone who is not only familiar with t1/vali, but also who has paired t1 with some other amps such as crack or similar tube or more powerful amps.
(These were just my feeling and I hope I haven't mislead anybody)

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #4,793 of 4,971
  Thanks,
I'm familiar with basic calculation of loudness. But, from other side, I don't consider myself a basshead at all.
I have used w4r for years and I always thought that it can have a little less bass.
I've played with equalizer, it makes some frequencies sounds louder (it's a good thing at this situation) but EQ doesn't make a note to sound thicker or hit harder. I feel that base is not punchy enough or mid is a little thin. 
That's why I asked here, I want to see the result of driving T1 with Vali from someone who is not only familiar with t1/vali, but also who has paired t1 with some other amps such as crack or similar tube or more powerful amps.
(These were just my feeling and I hope I haven't mislead anybody)

So what do you mean by thicker? I don't want to guess your meaning.
Frankly if you want hitting power you are probably thinking about transient response, IMO that's more up to the headphones (like a Planar) than any amp. In my pile of headphones is an HE-500 and boy can that snap at you and the bass extension is out of sight. What property of an amp do you think will make it hit harder?

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #4,794 of 4,971
  So what do you mean by thicker? I don't want to guess your meaning.
Frankly if you want hitting power you are probably thinking about transient response, IMO that's more up to the headphones (like a Planar) than any amp. In my pile of headphones is an HE-500 and boy can that snap at you and the bass extension is out of sight.

(English isn't my first language, Sorry for any inconvenience)
 What property of an amp do you think will make it hit harder?

I don't know exactly. The only things that came to my mind were Voltage and slew rate at 1200 ohms (which is the impedance of T1 in base freqs).

This is my current EQ setting. When I compare freq responses of T1 and w4r, it seems odd to me that I have to boost base 6db. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #4,795 of 4,971
  (English isn't my first language, Sorry for any inconvenience)
I don't know exactly. The only things that came to my mind were Voltage and slew rate at 1200 ohms (which is the impedance of T1 in base freqs).

This is my current EQ setting. When I compare freq responses of T1 and w4r, it seems odd to me that I have to boost base 6db. 

Slew rate affects high frequency response, not bass.  Voltage affects loudness. So I don't think these are it.
IMO that EQ dip at 500 Hz might not be helpful. I would try everything flat above 100 Hz and start that bass boost at or just below 100Hz.Perhaps giving a little more boostwhere you start rolling off at 50 Hz. Give it a try.

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #4,796 of 4,971
Just got Vali yesterday and I noticed it operates too hot. I expected it would be kind of warm when up and running but this is really hot. Is it normal? Is it because it's a tube amp?

On the other hand, no matter how hard I try there are no microphonics, no ringing, nothing. Wonder if I have a defective pair
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #4,797 of 4,971
  Just got Vali yesterday and I noticed it operates too hot. I expected it would be kind of warm when up and running but this is really hot. Is it normal? Is it because it's a tube amp?

On the other hand, no matter how hard I try there are no microphonics, no ringing, nothing. Wonder if I have a defective pair
tongue.gif

Microphonics depend a lot on the HP being used. Vali runs pretty hot for me too, nothing that will burn my skin, but hot nonetheless.

Usually there are very less microphonics, for me, until the tubes decide to leave their foams.

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #4,798 of 4,971

tongue.gif

What do you consider too hot?  Mine gets hot, but I wouldn't consider it something to worry about.

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #4,799 of 4,971
Slew rate affects high frequency response, not bass.  Voltage affects loudness. So I don't think these are it.
IMO that EQ dip at 500 Hz might not be helpful. I would try everything flat above 100 Hz and start that bass boost at or just below 100Hz.Perhaps giving a little more boostwhere you start rolling off at 50 Hz. Give it a try.

Thank yoy Stan.
I think it's better to try an otl amp for myself.

That dip is peculiar to me too :D
But honestly, it makes mids more clear to me. It removes a skin curtain from the space of between me and instruments.
I've came from w4r. And have used it with love for more than 3yrs. I need that peak at 3khz too :wink:

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #4,800 of 4,971

Usually there are very less microphonics, for me, until the tubes decide to leave their foams.

Could you elaborate this a bit further? I am new to the tubes.

What do you consider too hot?  Mine gets hot, but I wouldn't consider it something to worry about.

Well, it's been up and running for 2-3 hours now and while it's not untouchably hot, it's still pretty hot. However probably nothing to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back