NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jul 11, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #4,771 of 4,971
Haven't tried the T1's, but the Vali works fairly well for my DT880 600ohm. Volume knob sits around 1 o'clock on most recordings so it pushes the little Vali a bit but I really enjoy the results. I've had no issues with the 880 being too "bright" with the Vali either.

Thanks,
My problem is that in some tracks, I feel that there is not enough punch in the bass. So, I thought that maybe there isn't enough voltage in those frequencies.

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #4,772 of 4,971
Thanks,
My problem is that in some tracks, I feel that there is not enough punch in the bass. So, I thought that maybe there isn't enough voltage in those frequencies.

Not enough voltage would result in clipping, a very noticeable distortion. One shouldn't make wild guesses as that can mislead others that do not have the technical background to understand.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #4,776 of 4,971
  Gain and volume are not the same thing.

The Bottlehead SEX suffers from the problem of poor bass at low gain irrespective of the attenuation.

Low gain, lower volume due to cause and effect. It's a very simple relationship. Attenuation is the reduction of signal, not the same as gain. Did you read up on those two topics I mentioned?

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #4,777 of 4,971
  That would affect the volume. Lower volume affects our perception of FR. You can read up on "Equal Loudness Contour" and "Fletcher Munson" to get more info.

Exactly-we are less sensitive to bass frequencies- so while we might hear the mids adequately, the bass and treble will seem weak at low volume. Old stereo receivers used to have a button called "loudness" to compensate-and some still do.

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #4,778 of 4,971
  Exactly-we are less sensitive to bass frequencies- so while we might hear the mids adequately, the bass and treble will seem weak at low volume. Old stereo receivers used to have a button called "loudness" to compensate-and some still do.

Those loudness buttons were not able to vary the frequency curve with changes to loudness so they were a best chance guess by the designers. Still, it beat a blank. Too many people on head-fi do not understand the importance of the loudness used for comparisons as well as the short term of human echoic memory.

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #4,779 of 4,971
  Ok, good to know. Since i want a Tube Amp the Magni 2 Uber isn't for me though.

I've solved the problem by selling my Valhalla2, which honestly sucked with my HE 500s and LCD2s, and getting a micro ican for my orthos, and I have a Vali on order for my dynamics (HD600 and 250ohm DT880). The orthos both sound great from the ican. Picked up both amps for about the same $ as the valhalla2 cost new. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #4,781 of 4,971
  I've solved the problem by selling my Valhalla2, which honestly sucked with my HE 500s and LCD2s, and getting a micro ican for my orthos, and I have a Vali on order for my dynamics (HD600 and 250ohm DT880). The orthos both sound great from the ican. Picked up both amps for about the same $ as the valhalla2 cost new. 

In my opinion HD600 also sounds better with the iCan. Even though I loved my Vali. iCan is just a step up...

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #4,782 of 4,971
I have recently bought an HD650 and I have been trying to use them with my Fiio E10k. I have heard E10k is able to drive them, but I am feeling like my cans could use a little bit more power. Then again I am not sure, I have never used a decent DAC or amp before and not sure what it can bring to the table. Do you guys think if it is worth giving Vali a go? 

And if I buy Vali, can I use my E10k as a dac and skip the amp section? What kind of connection needs to be done?

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #4,783 of 4,971
  I have recently bought an HD650 and I have been trying to use them with my Fiio E10k. I have heard E10k is able to drive them, but I am feeling like my cans could use a little bit more power. Then again I am not sure, I have never used a decent DAC or amp before and not sure what it can bring to the table. Do you guys think if it is worth giving Vali a go? 

And if I buy Vali, can I use my E10k as a dac and skip the amp section? What kind of connection needs to be done?

The E10K doesn't deliver much power at 300 Ohms, 22.7 mW that I calculated from the the Vp-p spec. The Vali delivers much more power, although I would recommend a Magni 2.

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #4,785 of 4,971
  Actually I want to see a taste of tube sound, even though I have my doubts how much of it Vali offers.

I have a Vali, Magni and Asgard 2. The Vali is an OK amp, however, of the 3 it's my least favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back