NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Apr 28, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #4,726 of 4,971
At ~40 years old, I don't feel the need to learn anymore, nor do I care.  I'm so old I'm stuck in my ways and know what I hear.  
wink_face.gif

Thanks though, maybe when I'm bored silly and gone deaf.  Until then, me any many others will enjoy the differences we hear between different amps.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #4,727 of 4,971
  At ~40 years old, I don't feel the need to learn anymore, nor do I care.  I'm so old I'm stuck in my ways and know what I hear.  
wink_face.gif

Thanks though, maybe when I'm bored silly and gone deaf.  Until then, me any many others will enjoy the differences we hear between different amps.

I'm even older, but keep up with tehnology, especially in my field. We'll just have to disagree. Enjoy all the kit.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #4,728 of 4,971
I know you are Stan, I was poking fun.  
biggrin.gif

We disagreed a long time ago.  All is good.  Nothing is personal, just blah blah entertainment on the internet.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #4,729 of 4,971
  I know you are Stan, I was poking fun.  
biggrin.gif

We disagreed a long time ago.  All is good.  Nothing is personal, just blah blah entertainment on the internet.

One thing we all should have in common, enjoying both music and Schiit. I try to keep myself behaved. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #4,730 of 4,971
An excercise for your Vali. - Distortion.
Pick a pair of headphones that are not overly sensitive as:
  • Noise is not part of this exercise.
  • We want to crank up the volume control

Listen to some music that you are familiar with that is not overly compressed (volume), something with dynamics.
Being mindful of your hearing:
  1. Raise the volume till you begin to hear distortion on transients. It may not at first be apparent.
    1. There's a good chance that's far louder than you would normally listen
  2. Next, being careful raise the volume till you get more distortion, even clipping.
    1. If that doesn't happen perhaps your cans aren't sensitive enough or your source is not turned up enough.

I'll be that most people will have plenty enough volume without noticeable distortion unless they have one of those very demanding cans that are not at all sensitive. I can get distortion on my HE-500's (not sensitive, at all) but it does have to get to or near to headbanging levels.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #4,731 of 4,971
I own a Magni 1, Vali, and Asgard 2. Here's my opinion: I believe that each amp sounds slightly different from the others. The Magni and Asgard 2 are similar, but the Asgard 2 is smoother and more refined. The Magni has more grain. The Vali has a slightly lush, smooth sound. It is as smooth as the Asgard 2, but the bass is not as tight (more flabby). Ultimately I prefer the Asgard based on sound quality, and also the fact it has pre-amp outs.

No, I haven't done any ABX trials to confirm what I perceive. However, these impressions were apparent very quickly and they've persisted over time.

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #4,734 of 4,971
Yes, the 580s can be great and sometimes more musical than the 600s. But you have to pair it with the right amp to get the most out of it (true for all phones generally).

Both can sound glorious, but how would I describe the differences? The 580s are warmer and maybe less resolving (even though they supposedly use the same drivers), but there's a suppleness and organic quality to the sound that is just hypnotic. But if you don't have just the right phone/amp combination, they can sound like a overly-warm, bloated mess.

The 600s, on the other hand, sound more dynamic and clear, but lack the suppleness and organic quality I just described above. They sound stiffer in comparison. Still, they can sound great.

For those of you who know tube amps, the 580 would be akin to a really involving single ended tube amp (like 2A3 or 300B), whereas the 600 are akin to a really good push-pull tube amp.

But, IMO, you have to get the right phone/amp synergy with both, it they can sound really wrong.

I will try both with the Vali when I have time and report back.

Did you ever tried the Vali with the HD580? How do they pair together (black or silver screen?)

Anyone tried the Vali vs the BottleHead Crack? Any thoughts?

May 10, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #4,735 of 4,971
Hey guys, what should be a good upgrade to the Vali? The valhalla 1 or 2 sound more less the same with the Vali? I have a pair of Sennheiser HD560II and with these headphones i feel that sometimes the amp don't have enough power. 

May 10, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #4,736 of 4,971
  Hey guys, what should be a good upgrade to the Vali? The valhalla 1 or 2 sound more less the same with the Vali? I have a pair of Sennheiser HD560II and with these headphones i feel that sometimes the amp don't have enough power. 

Do you know what the sensitivity and impedance specs are for the 560II's? Without this one canot determine the driving/power requirements.

May 10, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #4,738 of 4,971
It's the typical sennheiser 300ohm. But I guess that doesn't tell much. With the HD580 I get the vali from 9 to 12 o clock. And with the hd560 it's at least at 12oclock

That difference could be due to sensitivity. The Valhalla2 has an output of 800 mW at 300 Ohms, which is huge, that exceeds the HD800's maximum long term power rating of 500 mW. If you can dig up the specs on those cans I suspect you can gain some valuable insight as to what to get.
Also, headphones of that era may not have had the same extended bass response as contemporary headphones. If that's the case perhaps try using some EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back