NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Feb 3, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #3,301 of 4,971
did anyone try HE-300 with Vali?

I just got my HE-300 and they sound amazing with the Vali. They have great synergy together.

Bass is juicy, low-mids are expectedly emphasized, upper-mids are a bit recessed, treble is surprisingly present. I'm using a Modi and Vali.

Sounds great on all genres, though I do like warm sound a lot.

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #3,303 of 4,971
New to this thread. Just got my Vali, unplugged my Lyr and plugged the Vali into my Bifrost. My reaction: Listen, I have shamelessly copied Purrin's reaction:

"Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Holy Schiit fantastic. This is tubes done right................." (Purrin, hope you don't mind...if you do, my apologies but your reaction spurred me to buy this amp) 
wink.gif

There are no new words to add. Except to say that I have probably replaced the Lyr with this tiny beast.

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #3,306 of 4,971
  The Vali is 'as delivered' where as the Lyr needs new tubes to really shine.

That's just it. I had to go through three iterations before i got the right tubes for my Lyr. Now I grant you that this may be an instantaneous reaction to hearing this amp but IMO, the quality of music/dollar delivered makes this a better product. I know I am opening a can of worms with that phrase. FWIW, I am using the HE 500 (with Jergpads by Modulor) and this little thing drives it effortlessly. I have to test it with my Audez'e later. I may have to retract my statement but that's OK. Either way, Schiit's got it right 
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #3,308 of 4,971
Ordered mine two days ago. Will receive it by wed or thursday. Im pretty excited. Havent heard tube amps

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #3,309 of 4,971
  That's just it. I had to go through three iterations before i got the right tubes for my Lyr. Now I grant you that this may be an instantaneous reaction to hearing this amp but IMO, the quality of music/dollar delivered makes this a better product. I know I am opening a can of worms with that phrase. FWIW, I am using the HE 500 (with Jergpads by Modulor) and this little thing drives it effortlessly. I have to test it with my Audez'e later. I may have to retract my statement but that's OK. Either way, Schiit's got it right 
biggrin.gif

It can drive HE-500's but not effortlessly, you must be listening at low to moderate volumes.. The Asgard 2 can drive the HE-500's effortlessly. I have both amps and the HE-500's.

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #3,310 of 4,971
Just checking in after a couple more days with the HD800 and the Vali.

Still love the combo. I think it's great.

last night I added the Emotiva DC-1 into the equation. I didn't do much back and forth testing with the Burson 160D output as I was tired but I did notice a further slight increase in soundstage, and slight reduction in midbass heaviness. I can't really get into more detail than that without more listening time.

The DC-1 headphone out, by itself, can highlight the treble response in the HD800 and sibilant tracks can sound really sibilant. maybe it's more accurate, maybe it's exaggerated. no idea. I know that it's much more pleasant to listen to potentially sibilant tracks with the Vali hooked up tot he DC-1 line output. 

don't get me wrong, it's not glossing over too much -- really excessive sibilance in a recording will still come through but it's not as sharp and disturbing as it is from the DC-1 headphone output. The Burson headphone out tends to blunt sibilance too, but this comes at the expense of reduced soundstage and a more blurry bottom end.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #3,313 of 4,971
  I had two amps that had 2watts and none of them drove the he500 effortlessly but decently. The asgard isnt considered to drive the he500 effortlessly but barely satisfactorily. 

Really. 2 Watts will drive the HE-500's above the threshold of pain. 1 Watt will just barely reach the threshold of pain. Nobody listens anywhere near those figures without getting hearing impaired. I can listen quite loudly, not experience any distortion and the sound is excellent.
Were you referring to the old Asgard?
The Asgard 2 is an excellent design where it's low distortion doesn't come from gobs of negative feedback but from a careful design using discrete components, not opamps. This is not the easy way to design a headphone amp.

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #3,314 of 4,971
I have been watching this thread for quit a bit, so many positive comment, well I bit and just pulled the trigger on a Vali/Modi minutes ago looking forward to some long listening sessions this weekend.
I have never had an opportunity to listen to a tube amp and although its a hybrid this would be a first, again looking forward and hoping to get the same type of enjoyment from the combo.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #3,315 of 4,971
  Really. 2 Watts will drive the HE-500's above the threshold of pain. 1 Watt will just barely reach the threshold of pain. Nobody listens anywhere near those figures without getting hearing impaired. I can listen quite loudly, not experience any distortion and the sound is excellent.
Were you referring to the old Asgard?
The Asgard 2 is an excellent design where it's low distortion doesn't come from gobs of negative feedback but from a careful design using discrete components, not opamps. This is not the easy way to design a headphone amp.

dont really feel like getting into this but its not always about volume... and I firmly disagree. That is why you never hear the asgard 2 as a recommendation for the he500. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back