NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #3,196 of 4,971
Why not have it all? Why choose? I think it's nice to be able to have an amp that plays the HD800 true to its sound and one that alters it for a different presentation. I think the Vali actually allows more detail and an analytical approach for the HD800 over Crack. But it's also lacking in body and becomes more of a studio recording session than a relaxing, enjoy the music session. It all depends on what you want to achieve.

I'm in the cheer-squad for euphony and musical involvement. The HD650 is one of my favourite headphones and I often overlook its deficiencies in favour of engagement. The Vali is firmly in this category IMO. For all the praise, it is NOT the be-all. I have issue with its lack of control in the bass region compared to the Mjolnir. But it IS a very affordable amp with pros that greatly outweigh cons.

The clarity in the upper registers, the depth of soundstage, the rendition of low-level detail, the liquidity in its transitions and that pleasing reverb like quality - all combine to render a captivating analogue signature, sans the treble edge and glare evident in SS.

Relaxing and enjoyable? Yes. Analytical (in that dreary, sterile sense)? Far from it.

I've always been curious about the Crack's supposed synergy with Senn headphones. If it's a component that makes the Vali sound comparatively thin and analytical then it is likely one component that goes too far in colouring the transducer. Your posts serve as a warning for me to stay clear of it.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #3,198 of 4,971
Just bought some Hifiman HE-300, as I am sick of my DT770 Pro. I will test them with this and my Fiio E17, to see how they compare.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #3,200 of 4,971
I'm in the cheer-squad for euphony and musical involvement. The HD650 is one of my favourite headphones and I often overlook its deficiencies in favour of engagement. The Vali is firmly in this category IMO. For all the praise, it is NOT the be-all. I have issue with its lack of control in the bass region compared to the Mjolnir. But it IS a very affordable amp with pros that greatly outweigh cons.

The clarity in the upper registers, the depth of soundstage, the rendition of low-level detail, the liquidity in its transitions and that pleasing reverb like quality - all combine to render a captivating analogue signature, sans the treble edge and glare evident in SS.

Relaxing and enjoyable? Yes. Analytical (in that dreary, sterile sense)? Far from it.

I've always been curious about the Crack's supposed synergy with Senn headphones. If it's a component that makes the Vali sound comparatively thin and analytical then it is likely one component that goes too far in colouring the transducer. Your posts serve as a warning for me to stay clear of it.

I think that's just indicative of OTL tube technology. I noticed on details, while microdetails are more apparent with the Vali, you can hear it as well on the Crack, but it's not as apparent because there is a larger bass presence as opposed to treble for the Vali. The treble is very airy and almost electrostatic like. It's the closest headphone I've heard compared to my ESP950 in treble. I think due to the bass presence from the Crack, you don't hear the treble as much and this contributes to a sense of less microdetails, even though it's there. But that bass presence gives that body and tactility to instruments that makes guitar strums and drums so realistic. I guess you can't have airiness, very apparent microdetails and bass slam, tactility because the bass easily drowns out the treble and you need a level of bass and slightly slower decay to give that sense of body. And to hit that threshold, it would be too much and would cover up the treble presence. Plus a slower bass to gives the sense of body is the exact opposite of a fast treble that brings details and airiness. Barring separate bass and treble drivers, I don't know if you can have both, and it would be hard to balance it in a way that you get both.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #3,201 of 4,971
  I get a fair amount of noise with my Grado SR225 (32 ohms) with the Vali. It's not really noticeable when music is playing. I would think an headphone below 32 ohm and high sensitivity would be unsuitable with the Vali, unless you had an adaptor to raise the impedance as others have suggested.

You want an L-PAD that will attenuate the output of the Amp, not necessarily to raise any impedance. You can use a PAD to match impedances at a loss of signal. Simply adding a series resistor will reduce damping (not good) and if the cans have an impedance frequency curve that gets a bit extreme you could affect the FR.

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #3,202 of 4,971
@Sonido @jaywillin @olor1n @purrin @zilch0md:

Gentlemen, Bravo. Thank you for finally bringing this discussion to where it needs to be. It is the combination of gear that makes (or breaks) a setup. I know this is obvious to the Headphoneus group, but those of us who are less experienced (or are perhaps a fan of Budget-Fi amps) need the comparisons between different cans, different music, etc, to be able to make an intelligent choice as to whether to purchase something or not.

I for one find such discussions invaluable decision making tools. I almost want to bookmark the last few pages, or hope that this thread remains on this sort of track.

(Yeah, I know, I've been a sideshow on this thread, but mostly only because my budget has been seriously hosed for a while, and so I am sidelined for a while. Not that my opinion would be worth much.)

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #3,203 of 4,971
Originally Posted by UmustBKidn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is obvious to the Headphoneus group, but those of us who are less experienced

I think "Headphoneus Supremus" is misleading, I just think it means they've posted here a lot, I was fooled by this at first, thinking they were all experts, and wondering why some seemed to have no idea.
Of course there are many who are very experienced and knowledgeable and generous enough to share their wisdom and their views, for which I, for one, am grateful.
Those "Headphoneus Supremus" you mention (and many others) would come into that category, I don't think policy would let me give examples of the other type
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #3,204 of 4,971
  @Sonido @jaywillin @olor1n @purrin @zilch0md:

Gentlemen, Bravo. Thank you for finally bringing this discussion to where it needs to be. It is the combination of gear that makes (or breaks) a setup. I know this is obvious to the Headphoneus group, but those of us who are less experienced (or are perhaps a fan of Budget-Fi amps) need the comparisons between different cans, different music, etc, to be able to make an intelligent choice as to whether to purchase something or not.

I for one find such discussions invaluable decision making tools. I almost want to bookmark the last few pages, or hope that this thread remains on this sort of track.

(Yeah, I know, I've been a sideshow on this thread, but mostly only because my budget has been seriously hosed for a while, and so I am sidelined for a while. Not that my opinion would be worth much.)

now the thread is ringing with right kind of discussion. bravo ...

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #3,205 of 4,971

I've decided to go with the crack for the hd650 as an end game setup. Never to be touched or tampered with. Not that I wont buy other headphones and gear...I will. But after hearing the crack w/sb on the hd650 a few weeks ago, I'm convinced that there is no better pairing out there for my favorite hp. Right now I have the 650 on the Vali and find it's a pretty decent pairing. 

olor1n ...was the above comments you made your opinion of the Vali and 650?

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #3,206 of 4,971
Matt - my comments were in relation to the HD800, as its pairing with the Vali was the main point of discussion. The aspects I speak of can be heard through the HD650 of course, though they are less pronounced through the less capable Senn - as opposed to the intense HD800 microscope.

I really dig the Vali's synergy with the HD650 but I am more impressed with how well it handles the HD800. If only it had the Mjolnir's width of soundstage, lower frequency extension, control and slam, and its explosive macro dynamics. Maybe that's reserved for a Lyr mk.II or some other Schiity construct. Jason and co. will have my money again when that happens.

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #3,209 of 4,971
I wasn't as discerning at first because I didn't initially like how the vali took away some of the bite of my music. But now I can hear the refinement of it and it does smooth things out but in a good way. It makes my music slightly less agressive, a tad more spacious and is an overall improvement. I like it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back