NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 25, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #3,151 of 4,971
  Comparing a $400 (unassembled kit) amp with a $120 amp is pretty unfair. Of course the Bottlehead will most likely sound better and have a more "tubey" sound as it is an OTL design. The Vali is a great amp and compete with amps twice it's price, but amps four to six times as much are in all likelihood going to be superior.

you know what though... Now that I think about it I think the purpose of it was to see if it has a real tube sound and to compare it to a solid state sound and tube sound. Overall it was very useful in communicating the fact that the vali doesn't put the tube warmth over the bright headphones. 

I will compare it myself as well but with a cheaper no name tube amp and I will see as well. I really do believe his impressions are inline with others and therefore would call it accurate. 

I also think it was worth comparing to the crack but that while reading I had no expectations of the vali to hold its own next to it. 

I would like to know which of the two had better instrument separation and imaging. The crack isnt known for its details etc but for its bass and warmth and richness while being clear

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #3,152 of 4,971
~~To me, the Vali is about the same as getting a Fiio or Modi or O2 for the HD800. You better get used to the brightness and fatigue. 

I really don't find the Vali bright or fatiguing in the least with my DT880 .I have never listened to the  HD800 (unfortunately) so I am not sure what it's sound signature is. I can tell you this much though, if I spent $1500 on headphones I sure as schiit would spend more than $120 on the amp. Thank you for your write up, it was a good read
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #3,153 of 4,971
  I would like to know which of the two had better instrument separation and imaging. The crack isnt known for its details etc but for its bass and warmth and richness while being clear

Heh I couldn't focus down on those elements when listening to the Vali with HD800 as I was too distracted by the brightness. Still, I think those are areas the Vali could give the Crack a run for its money. I'll have to compare for those things later.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #3,154 of 4,971
~~Now that I think about it I think the purpose of it was to see if it has a real tube sound and to compare it to a solid state sound and tube sound. Overall it was very useful in communicating the fact that the vali doesn't put the tube warmth over the bright headphones. 

I definitely see where you are coming from.  I think a more even comparison would be with something like a Little Dot, which is around the same price range as the Vali. I would be interested to read a comparison of a MK2 and the Vali.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #3,157 of 4,971
I found the Vali pleasant, musical and engaging with Grado Magnums and JH13pro (with impedance adaptor/attenuator).  The light warmth and midrange wetness really complements the Grado and JH13pro.  I found the Vali great with the LCD-2 also.  

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #3,158 of 4,971
  I found the Vali pleasant, musical and engaging with Grado Magnums and JH13pro (with impedance adaptor/attenuator).  The light warmth and midrange wetness really complements the Grado and JH13pro.  I found the Vali a little too warm and congested sounding with the LCD-2.  But need to give it more time. 

What attenuator are you using?

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #3,159 of 4,971
I got an impedance adaptor from ebay.  It adds 50ohm's.  It reduces most of the hiss.  Not all but most. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #3,163 of 4,971
i've had both the ld and the vali, as for which is better, i think it depends on the headphones being driven, both are outstanding though

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #3,164 of 4,971

Comparing a $400 (unassembled kit) amp with a $120 amp is pretty unfair. Of course the Bottlehead will most likely sound better and have a more "tubey" sound as it is an OTL design. The Vali is a great amp and compete with amps twice it's price, but amps four to six times as much are in all likelihood going to be superior.

Very true and as expected. But when I was reading up on the Vali, I heard people mention it was a good pairing with the HD800, or it could hold its own with the Crack, I wanted to give my own impressions on those two statements. Actually, it probably could hold its own with the Crack in many ways and for other headphones, just not the HD800. To me, the Vali is about the same as getting a Fiio or Modi or O2 for the HD800. You better get used to the brightness and fatigue.

It's worth noting the source components employed by HD800 owners who have praised its synergy with that headphone. The first impressions of this amp were from people who are very familiar with quality gear and it was stated from the outset that the Vali was quite capable of resolving upstream components. Others have since verified these claims and I can attest to the same findings.

Perhaps the treble glare you speak of stems from your D3 dac? I'm sure the BH stuff is good but the impression I get from your post is that you're employing those things to EQ what you hear through your HD800.

The Vali isn't the be-all but it is a fine amp. It doesn't roll off the upper registers. Treble is extended, pristine and incredibly smooth to my ears. Really good match for the HD800. There are only two reasonable explanations for thinking otherwise - 1) your upstream components aren't up to scratch and 2) you are fine with stifling the HD800 best qualities in favour of smothering it into a totally different headphone.

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #3,165 of 4,971

It's worth noting the source components employed by HD800 owners who have praised its synergy with that headphone. The first impressions of this amp were from people who are very familiar with quality gear and it was stated from the outset that the Vali was quite capable of resolving upstream components. Others have since verified these claims and I can attest to the same findings.

Perhaps the treble glare you speak of stems from your D3 dac? I'm sure the BH stuff is good but the impression I get from your post is that you're employing those things to EQ what you hear through your HD800.

The Vali isn't the be-all but it is a fine amp. It doesn't roll off the upper registers. Treble is extended, pristine and incredibly smooth to my ears. Really good match for the HD800. There are only two reasonable explanations for thinking otherwise - 1) your upstream components aren't up to scratch and 2) you are fine with stifling the HD800 best qualities in favour of smothering it into a totally different headphone.

Probably #2. I admit my preferred chain for the HD800 is far from the pure frequency response that the HD800 was designed to have. And that's fine with me. I care more for my own subjective enjoyment of music. I don't want to get into what's the right way to listen to music argument so I'll just leave it at that. I like the HD800 for its technical superiorities such as soundstaging and detailing, but I'm not a big fan its stock sound signature. I mentioned the Vali to not add warmth like the Crack, and for me it was bright. I guess was not clear on this, but I don't think the Vali added highs or treble either. I think it did a good job pushing out the stock sound of the HD800. From an engineering standpoint, this is a success. However, for my personal enjoyment, I didn't like the sound with the HD800.

The way I see it, it's easier to alter the signature of a headphone than it is to improve its technicalities. That's what I have chosen to do with my setup. Now your #2 statement is a bit loaded to say I have destroyed the best qualities of the HD800. I don't think I have done that at all. Like I said, I kept the technical qualities, but changed the sound signature. You'll find a lot of people follow the same line of thought to some degree. They may not openly seek to completely reshape the sound signature, but many have claimed tube amps to work well with the HD800, because it somewhat changes the signature to be more euphonic to the ears. In fact, if it was all about the numbers and purity of signal, why do we even bother with tube amps. It's known solid state technology have superseded tube technology as far as objective metrics are concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back