New user; looking for a headphones recommendation
Oct 23, 2010 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tbger99

Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum, and like most people around I'm trying to find headphones that would be suitable for my needs.  After reading many threads here and on other forums, I decided to register on here and post my personal help request as I couldn't find the answer to it anywhere.  Basically I'm in quite a similar situation as this guy who posted here a while back (I've cut off irrelevant parts, but other than that I couldn't describe my points any way better - I'm not a native speaker):

Quote:
thirdeye99 said:

My need is for phones to use in the playback & post-editing / EQing phase. For anyone that has listened to amateur music recordings, you know the sound quality is sometimes far from professional. Often too bassy, or mid-range dominant, etc. A little bit of work with EQ can make a big difference in quality, BUT it can also ruin a recording very quickly if you do not have an accurate playback system.

1) The flattest possible response, with maximum accuracy of the sound for playback and EQing purposes.  *

4) Budget = $100 or less. May be willing to go a little higher if something sounds perfect.

Notes:
- Initially leaning toward the Sony V6 studio monitors, or the Sony MDR-SA3000 monitors from a recommendation from a studio engineer (though the latter is really stretching my budget).
- I've debated with myself on monitor headphones vs. actual studio monitor speakers. Of course, a good pair of monitor speakers are better for mixing / EQing. But even a decent to good pair of them are way out of my price range, and I can get a good monitoring headphone for much less.

* means to say I also have read the interesting material found in this thread, from 'saint.panda' user.  Very much appreciated by the way, in case you're reading !

All in all, a monitor headphones, to give me the best impression about how recordings I myself produce would sound in other playback setups than mine.  It's very important since I share them with friends and would like them to enjoy the recordings at any playback setup they may have.  The music is going to be hard rock and metal.

After reading a lot as said, I've had my eyes on some particular models, and never tried any yet:

1. ATH-M50 - have read great reviews and opinions on them, but as far as I'm impressed they aren't what I'm looking for after all.
2. AKG K-242 HD - not many reviews except a single one I actually found on youtube.
3. AKG K-240 DF - from what I've read these should fit me well, I'd like to have some more input related to my case !  The main difficulty here is the fact they are discontinued.
4. Sony MDR7506 - no idea about the Sony's, but I haven't read too much good reviews as of now relating to my specific points.

I'm a student, thus I'll try to do my best in making the right choice.  I'll certainly have no time and money to search and get another pair anytime later.  That said, I am willing to invest in a good pair of headphones, but also willing to keep myself in the right proportions - it's for nothing but post-processing of live recordings, and some listening of course.  Nothing studio or pro, I'm still not in such a position !

I think I didn't miss anything important...

Hope to get some helpful inputs.  Thank you to all readers
smile_phones.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 5
I am not in position to answer your question since I did not have chances to hear any of them you listed. But, my preference among three brands is AKG. If those AKG cans are not far away from 701 and 702 in terms of sound color, they might also fit with your needs.

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 5
I have always been taught to use monitors, not headphones/On the other hand, the headphones you listed are not all very neutral. If you want the true sound you will need to stretch your budget a lot more beyond $100. I'm just letting you know it's not a cheap expense, the V6's would be the best for now.

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 5
Actually I wasn't concentrating on these models only, I just realized they should fit my needs well... It's very likely there are better models out there, but since I'm basically going to use the new headphones only for processing the recordings, given the fact I also don't have any professional audio equipment to run with them and get the most accurate results (I use an audio processing computer program to EQ the recordings), I don't wish to invest too much in an extremely high-end pair for now. Further, I don't need it to reflect a perfect stereo image, or to be a reference for microphone positioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back