New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival 2013
Nov 19, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #121 of 339

If I could create a product that isn't highly rated, sell out of it, revise it a bit and sell it for 2-3 times the original price of the first version...I'd do it and enjoy napping on my bed of cash.  If Ultrasone cared about anything any of us has to say, they would pull a Fiio or MrSpeakers and keep contact with audio enthusiasts here on the forums with constant updates, social interaction with users, maybe cheap contests or really anything to keep close with their buyers.  They don't do that.  They don't at all need to do that, they sell despite all of that so it's working for them, more power to them for it.  No refunds means the unit is art before sound quality.  This formula seems to have a good payout for them, it wasn't aimed at normal audiophiles.  So, I guess I can't complain. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #122 of 339

If I could create a product that isn't highly rated, sell out of it, revise it a bit and sell it for 2-3 times the original price of the first version...I'd do it and enjoy napping on my bed of cash.  If Ultrasone cared about anything any of us has to say, they would pull a Fiio or MrSpeakers and keep contact with audio enthusiasts here on the forums with constant updates, social interaction with users, maybe cheap contests or really anything to keep close with their buyers.  They don't do that.  They don't at all need to do that, they sell despite all of that so it's working for them, more power to them for it.  No refunds means the unit is art before sound quality.  This formula seems to have a good payout for them, it wasn't aimed at normal audiophiles.  So, I guess I can't complain. 

I just realized that Ultrasone doesn't have a registered user officially on HeadFi like FiiO and most other good brands unless I missed something. Even Sensaphonics, which is strictly a professional music industry geared company with almost zero revenue from the audio enthusiast market, has an official member on Head Fi to answer questions/outreach. Damn it, Ultrasone. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #123 of 339
I think Ultrasone has a really desastrous commercial policy for their Audiophile products. 

10 pages here of blablablabla for this very specific and luxury product and not even a serious review about the real open flagship edition12. Signature series are never adviced anywhere and these cans are IMO one  of the most underrated and underknwon flagship. I heard briefly an edition12 ans it's a very good headphone , but Ultrasone is more known for luxury products .

Desatrous.  
frown.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #124 of 339
  I think Ultrasone has a really desastrous commercial policy for their Audiophile products. 

10 pages here of blablablabla for this very specific and luxury product and not even a serious review about the real open flagship edition12. Signature series are never adviced anywhere and these cans are IMO one  of the most underrated and underknwon flagship. I heard briefly an edition12 ans it's a very good headphone , but Ultrasone is more known for luxury products .

Desatrous.  
frown.gif

Yes, you can argue Edition 12 is a good headphone, and probably Edition 8 is the best headphone they ever made. Yes, they are a lot better than most of earbuds on the market, but....

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/UltrasoneEdition8.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH840.pdf

Edition 8 costs 1.5K USD while 840 costs 150~200 USD. Their performance is quite similar except Edition 8 has one hell of distortion on bottom freq (which ALL of Ultrasones do). Both headphones are quite comparable with performance and quality of sound except the price : Edition 8 costs 10 times more than 840.

Here is some headphones you can get it with same price or less :

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2SN5312123.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT1.pdf

except Grado flagships (which actually measure far worse), Ultrasone is just outmatched in all areas.

Sorrodje, everyone, I mean everyone who are active here for a long time knows about Ultrasone, I still remember 'there is something about Ultrasone' mega thread, and it was madly popular during 2007~2008, there is a reason why popularity eventually died down eventually, while we are still seeing old Sennheiser and AKG headphones popular in this forum (HD600 is now nearly 20 years old, mind you)

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #125 of 339
I know every innerfidelity measurement, i use myself the same references. 

I heard edition 8 but not srh840. So I can't compare any personal experience. The fact is many experienced head-fiers really like some Ultrasone cans : pro2900 , Sig pro and Dj , ed9 , ed10 ( despite tyll's video ) & ed12 . That's a fact too .  I personally own a Sig pro and I've owned and tested many high praised cans and I still find my sig pro is really a good can even at its very high price.  I did'nt like so much the LC2 or the HE400 it tried . Neither Mad Dogs . Maybe my ears are garbage ? 
rolleyes.gif

I trust only my ( defective) ears and Ultrasone is one brand among other IMO.  Ultrasone makes mid-fi sound quality luxury phones. OK . Sennheiser Makes real awful products too and I still appreciate a lot my HD800. AKGmakes money year after year by refreshing the K701 at higher and higher prices and I still love my old K240.

Ultrasone does not deserve more bashing than AKG or Sennheiser ( for example) 

That said , we can have a very interesting debate about audio, quality, prices, unicorns and Q/P ratio but we're here in the ed5 thread , aren't we? . So Q/P ratio and ed5 seems to be two very different concepts.  
redface.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #127 of 339
  I just realized that Ultrasone doesn't have a registered user officially on HeadFi like FiiO and most other good brands unless I missed something. Even Sensaphonics, which is strictly a professional music industry geared company with almost zero revenue from the audio enthusiast market, has an official member on Head Fi to answer questions/outreach. Damn it, Ultrasone. 

IMO, this is a legitimate issue as it gives the perception that Ultrasone is aloof regarding their customer base.  On a related note, they have among the worst customer service I have experienced, particularly regarding a premium product as their US customer service team is completely unresponsive- so much so that I question if they even exist since I have NEVER received a response to a single phone call or email.  I just hope my Sig DJ never needs service....

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #128 of 339
In Germany the service is much better, lol. But everone should consider that this company os rather small. I do not thonk that Mr. Speakers has a good customer service over here. So if you need service, you might want tp go directly to the supplier and I am sure they will be helpfull.
And as I discovered HeadFi aroind the release time of the HD800 Ultrasone was a site sponsor. Do not know what happened since then, but they still produce at least some nice cans. And sometimes it is nice that some people go against the grain.......

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #131 of 339
And who will do the review? Tyll...... lol
I would love to see his face, it will be epic.....

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #132 of 339
Oh yes that last vid was epic.
:)
We just have to accept it for what it is...
First shock
Then anger
Then acceptance
Lol

Do you know how they use a canary in the caves for warning of fatal air?
We should use this animal to test before you subject a human ears to any danger(!) lol.

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #133 of 339
Oh yes that last vid was epic.
:)
We just have to accept it for what it is...
First shock
Then anger
Then acceptance
Lol

Do you know how they use a canary in the caves for warning of fatal air?
We should use this animal to test before you subject a human ears to any danger(!) lol.

That rabbit could here bass in 701's!

I'll pop into Harrods in about a week to see if they will be getting a demo Ed 5 in. They had good stock of other US Ed models. It was their over used Ed10 that made me buy a pair. After 200 hours they are not there yet.

I believe the no returns status may be due to high return rate on the Ed10. If you don't believe in burn in and you don't like the initial sound then you will return Ed10 for sure. Why would the Ed5 be any different.

Still can't wait to hear a burnt in pair.

Regards

Sceptre

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #134 of 339
I'll be surprised at anyone hearing my Sig Pro's and not stating that it's a (very) good sound. These and the phonak 232's have been my main headphones in use for over a month.

If ultrasone didn't exist then what I just said would change to just the Phonak's since I can't find another closed circumaural portable headphone that is good enough, both in sound and in build. 

The Ed5 can sound like what it want's. I kind of don't care (way out of my £ league). My point is that Ultrasone can make good headphones as demonstrated with the Signature range.

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #135 of 339
Harrods update.

They are having a new 'shelf' installed next week and are expecting something new on Monday. They didn't know if it would be the Ed12 or 5.

They said they were still selling on average 2 Ed10 per week! The best selling item is the Bose IQ 20 at about 50 per day.

Interestingly they are setting up an area to do CIEMs with Shure initially. Quote a move. I expect them to take on some other custom makes too.

P7's sounded good.

Spotted the £20k Black Widow headphone. Apparently nearly bought by a 20 something Asian girl but her mother wisked her away.

Back to topic. I'll update if the Ed5 arrives on Monday.

Regards

Sceptre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back