NEW: Tralucent Audio Plus5 BA IEM
May 4, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #631 of 1,275
I don't have my an AK380 Cu Amp yet but I'm Line-outing from my an AK380 Cu into the CypherLabs AlgoRhythm Picollo and the soundstage is noticeably wider.

May 4, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #632 of 1,275
Heheh! Ancient history now but I did a report for Musicday:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/798088/new-tralucent-audio-plus5-ba-iem/15

Here you go...
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. That's very helpful (although I should not be saying this given it will probably cost me
wink_face.gif
). Just to make sure I understand - the comparison was between the original Ref 1 and P5, correct?
If you happen to have access to the new Ref 1 too and also 1p2.2 it would be great to at some point hear your thoughts on how those compare to P5 when paired to Tera.

May 4, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #633 of 1,275
AnakChan Thanks for the quick impressions bro. Is there anything that you find special about the P5? Anything that really stands out? 1p2 was great sound stage, Ref 1 Too many great things, but that bass... Surely the P5 has somewhere it really shines...

All I can say is this will be a long 4 weeks... :wink: I can't wait to hear my P5. Until then, I'll have to suffer with the Ref 1 Too. :wink:

May 4, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #634 of 1,275
  So I've had a loaner/demo Plus5 (along with the 1Plus2.2) with me for the past 11 days and having listening to them whenever I have a spare moment. I've tried it with a few different DAPs & DAC/Amps - demo AK380, Aurender Flow, AK380Cu with/without amp, etc.

The Plus5 (off the Uber Too cable BTW) has a large depth and height spacious, and organic-like sound with a very holographic presentation. It's definitely very smooth and non-fatiguing. Compared to the MH335DW-SR, the FitEar does feel somewhat flatter but wider left/right separation. Tralucent has managed to create this concert hall-like effect with the Plus5 as with its other Tralucent offerings. At least to my ears it's not so much of a "sterile" studio recording but more a live musical hall.

Frequency response-wise, the Plus5 has a slightly more toned down trebles than the MH335DW-SR. Midrange to upper-midrange-wise, the Plus5 edged by being a little bit more forefront than the MH335DW, similarly with the midbass region. In the sub bass region, the MH335DW-SR's "DW" (Double Woofer) is very prevalent however the Plus5 is not slouch. It's sub bass is somewhat slightly tighter than the MH335DW-SR's.

Compared to my K10 CIEM, the K10 feels like a "lighter" overall signature. The Plus5's and MH335DW-SR's bass quantity edges out. But one should bear in mind that I do feel my K10 CIEM doesn't sound like the K10U Aluminums.

Final thoughts, I think the Plus5 benefits from amping from clean power. Although slight but still noticeable the AK380Cu + amp (or even really just the regular AK380 with amp), the big sound seems to be produced somewhat more effortlessly without any strain.

Thanks for the impressions! I'm getting more and more excited to hear the Plus5...
Seems like they're going to sound more refined in tuning compared to the original 1Plus2 that I've auditioned a few years ago.

May 4, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #635 of 1,275
Thanks. That's very helpful (although I should not be saying this given it will probably cost me :wink_face: ). Just to make sure I understand - the comparison was between the original Ref 1 and P5, correct?
If you happen to have access to the new Ref 1 too and also 1p2.2 it would be great to at some point hear your thoughts on how those compare to P5 when paired to Tera.

My apologies if it wasn't sufficiently clear: it is the Ref1 Too when I refer to the Ref1.

Ah... As for the 2.2, I've only received it a short time back. Not tried it with the Tera Player. :) Once I do I'll offer my views.

May 4, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #636 of 1,275
Thanks for the impressions! I'm getting more and more excited to hear the Plus5...
Seems like they're going to sound more refined in tuning compared to the original 1Plus2 that I've auditioned a few years ago.

You are right: the tuning and finish of the Tralucent IEMs have been progressively refined. If you listen to the 1Plus2.2 for example, it is quite an evolution from the original 1Plus2. Of course, I still have the original 1Plus2 (now fitted with the new stock cable) because to my ears they are sufficiently different from the 2.2 for me to hold on to them.

More importantly, as I was explaining to a fellow head-fier here in Singapore earlier, the Tralucent IEMs present music in different ways but the differing musical presentations are enjoyable enough for me to have the current lineup with no regrets.

May 4, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #638 of 1,275
@AnakChan Thanks for the quick impressions bro. Is there anything that you find special about the P5? Anything that really stands out? 1p2 was great sound stage, Ref 1 Too many great things, but that bass... Surely the P5 has somewhere it really shines...

All I can say is this will be a long 4 weeks...
wink.gif
I can't wait to hear my P5. Until then, I'll have to suffer with the Ref 1 Too.
wink.gif

Thought I'd reply to both of these. OK so for @warrior1975's question, if I had to summarise in 1 to 2 words about the Plus5, "Organically smooth" is how I would term it. It has  rather laid back immersive smooth kind of signature.

I did try the Ref 1 Too but I had such a short time on it last Sunday I'd rather say nothing about it.

Meanwhile, I've also had the 1Plus2.2 with me for the same duration of the Plus5. The two are different and it's entirely preferential. The 1Plus2.2 is as from what I remember from the original 1Plus2, surgical and precise. However they're not piercing and I remembered as the original - the trebles are smoothed out in the 2.2. Bear in mind I sold my 1Plus2 more than year ago so I'm going by memory.

I wouldn't say the Plus5 is "better" than the 1Plus2.2 and in fact, in (my wife's) and my personal preference(s), I'm (we're) actually more a 1Plus2.2 guy (gal). But if one wants an organically smooth and holographic styled signature the Plus5 would be the one that stands out.

May 4, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #639 of 1,275

Thanks. That's very helpful (although I should not be saying this given it will probably cost me
wink_face.gif
). Just to make sure I understand - the comparison was between the original Ref 1 and P5, correct?

I would just like to say, and fellow head fi-er, @Semuapunmau will attest to this as he was the one who let this customer hear the plus5.

I had a customer who bought the Ref 1 with uBer Too for his Tera. This was just before the plus5 was announced and launched. He loved the combo, Tera with Ref 1 Too!!

Then he heard the plus5 uber with the Tera....
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #641 of 1,275

Just in, P5/Uber with the Dignus case! Running in right now....
[/quote

Hey, holeout! Not met you for a while now. I trust that you are well. Look forward to hearing your impressions in due course! :)

May 4, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #642 of 1,275
You are right: the tuning and finish of the Tralucent IEMs have been progressively refined. If you listen to the 1Plus2.2 for example, it is quite an evolution from the original 1Plus2. Of course, I still have the original 1Plus2 (now fitted with the new stock cable) because to my ears they are sufficiently different from the 2.2 for me to hold on to them.

More importantly, as I was explaining to a fellow head-fier here in Singapore earlier, the Tralucent IEMs present music in different ways but the differing musical presentations are enjoyable enough for me to have the current lineup with no regrets.

Thought I'd reply to both of these. OK so for @warrior1975's question, if I had to summarise in 1 to 2 words about the Plus5, "Organically smooth" is how I would term it. It has  rather laid back immersive smooth kind of signature.

I did try the Ref 1 Too but I had such a short time on it last Sunday I'd rather say nothing about it.

Meanwhile, I've also had the 1Plus2.2 with me for the same duration of the Plus5. The two are different and it's entirely preferential. The 1Plus2.2 is as from what I remember from the original 1Plus2, surgical and precise. However they're not piercing and I remembered as the original - the trebles are smoothed out in the 2.2. Bear in mind I sold my 1Plus2 more than year ago so I'm going by memory.

I wouldn't say the Plus5 is "better" than the 1Plus2.2 and in fact, in (my wife's) and my personal preference(s), I'm (we're) actually more a 1Plus2.2 guy (gal). But if one wants an organically smooth and holographic styled signature the Plus5 would be the one that stands out.

Judging by your impressions, the Plus5 will be more closer to my preferred tuning than the 1Plus2 (original).

May 4, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #644 of 1,275
Thought I'd reply to both of these. OK so for @warrior1975
's question, if I had to summarise in 1 to 2 words about the Plus5, "Organically smooth" is how I would term it. It has  rather laid back immersive smooth kind of signature.

Haha! In my little group of head fi friends here in Singapore, the few who have heard both the 2.2 and the Plus5 are divided as to which they prefer. Though they admit that both musical presentations are clearly enjoyable.

Which is why I'm so glad I wasn't put in the impossible position of having to choose... :speak_no_evil:

In fact, I recall there are a fair number here who have more than one Tralucent IEM... So, I am not alone. :)

May 4, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #645 of 1,275
AnakChan Thanks for the quick impressions bro. Is there anything that you find special about the P5? Anything that really stands out? 1p2 was great sound stage, Ref 1 Too many great things, but that bass... Surely the P5 has somewhere it really shines...

All I can say is this will be a long 4 weeks... :wink: I can't wait to hear my P5. Until then, I'll have to suffer with the Ref 1 Too. :wink:

Yeah... You lucky dog! What some people wouldn't give to "suffer" like that too... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back