New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Sep 12, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #9,316 of 9,406
So do you think the SP1000 is still good in terms of sound quality when compared to todays DAPs? I mean I know that the SP3000 will be superior but can the SP1000 compete to actual medium level DAPs like iBasso DX170 or Hiby R6 M3? Does it work flawlessly and in good sound quality with Apple Music?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #9,317 of 9,406
So do you think the SP1000 is still good in terms of sound quality when compared to todays DAPs? I mean I know that the SP3000 will be superior but can the SP1000 compete to actual medium level DAPs like iBasso DX170 or Hiby R6 M3? Does it work flawlessly and in good sound quality with Apple Music?
The sp1k is at least on the level of the AK se300 (even better to my ears), is better than the Shanling M8 and I prefer it to he M9. Apple Music works flawlessly on mine and the battery holds nicely- around 10h from balance out.
The sp1k is better than most today's daps, you would need to go to the TOTL segment to get something better.
I compared it to the Fiio M15s and it took around 5 min to pack the M15s and send back to the shop. There was no contest when using my u12t.
It's still a top sounding source.

Sep 13, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #9,321 of 9,406
I used sp1000 for 3 years. Shanlinling m9 is superior in every way. Not a big difference but there is, just as there is not a big difference between sp1000 and sp2000. I prefer the M9 over both.
IMHO the sp1k is better than the M9. Technically they are both similar but the M9 is slightly V shaped where the sp1k is linear. To each their own.

Sep 13, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #9,323 of 9,406
I personally think the SP1k is still a very good DAP, even in 2023 - you can pick one up cheap. The relatively small improvements in recent DAPs isn't worth it, IMHO, unless you want a Roon control device which although Roon ready, the SP1k is not. I would much rather spend $$ on a superior headphone set like a pair of Abyss Diana's. :)

I still use the AK SP1k to play Roon through and control it via my phone. Sounds great!

Sep 14, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #9,324 of 9,406
Completely agree with the above comments, especially forbiddenbeat's comment about the chase for the best and latest, the upgraditis syndrome which affects all us...
Personally, I own the SPK1Km, which compares really well, especially to how it has held performance quality over most of the competition.

To pouni: only difference between now and when it came out, I used to buy all the hi-res music, as there was a huge difference in terms of audio quality between hi-res files you load into the DAP and available streaming services, most were unlistenable IMO.
Now, I use Qbuz regularly and don't remember the last hi-res album I bought. Hi-res streaming quality has caught up quite well, and paired with excellent headphones and cables (of course!...) the SP delivers beautifully.

Sep 14, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #9,325 of 9,406
I would much rather spend $$ on a superior headphone set like a pair of Abyss Diana's. :)
I had a great moment with sp1000cu/Amp + Diana Phi 🥰

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #9,327 of 9,406
Interesting comments, how are you guys using streaming services?
Thought past devices bricked due to updates not available on older players
Did this not effect sp1
Thx

The built-in Tidal still works for now. You can side load white-listed streaming apps although they need to be Android 6 compatible which means using older versions in some cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back