New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Mar 7, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #7,846 of 9,409
Hello All,

It has been a while since I last posted due to my very busy schedule (3 years?). Anyway, for the past 3~4 years, I had myself the A&K SP1000, its AMP, the IER Z1R, Campfire Andromeda Gold Edition, and the Fiio M15 (among others).

To put it simply, as I don't have the luxury of time elaborating why: Fiio M15 is the better DAP than the SP1000, even with the AMP. SP1000 may win in the "organic" sound department in my opinion, but the M15 wins with a very, very, very revealing, effortless, and amplified sound (sound improved btw after a long burn-in period). Topnotch. Maybe the SP1000 owners like me cannot swallow the bitter pill that their very expensive players have been outdone by a DAP almost a third of its price, but I have woken up to reality - now I cannot deny M15's might over the SP1000.

Here are some pictures, with my IER ZIR and the latest Gold cable from ALO, alongside with the SP1000 with amp, the M15, and Campfire Andromeda Gold Edition:
IMG_2633.jpg

I do not intend to sell my SP1000 with AMP though, as I still love its sound. But a message to Astell & Kern, please up your game after the SP1000/ SP2000. Fiio is now knocking on your door.

Mar 7, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #7,847 of 9,409
Hello All,

It has been a while since I last posted due to my very busy schedule (3 years?). Anyway, for the past 3~4 years, I had myself the A&K SP1000, its AMP, the IER Z1R, Campfire Andromeda Gold Edition, and the Fiio M15 (among others).

To put it simply, as I don't have the luxury of time elaborating why: Fiio M15 is the better DAP than the SP1000, even with the AMP. SP1000 may win in the "organic" sound department in my opinion, but the M15 wins with a very, very, very revealing, effortless, and amplified sound (sound improved btw after a long burn-in period). Topnotch. Maybe the SP1000 owners like me cannot swallow the bitter pill that their very expensive players have been outdone by a DAP almost a third of its price, but I have woken up to reality - now I cannot deny M15's might over the SP1000.

Here are some pictures, with my IER ZIR and the latest Gold cable from ALO, alongside with the SP1000 with amp, the M15, and Campfire Andromeda Gold Edition:
IMG_2633.jpg

I do not intend to sell my SP1000 with AMP though, as I still love its sound. But a message to Astell & Kern, please up your game after the SP1000/ SP2000. Fiio is now knocking on your door.

Really curious. Will find a demo chance.
Btw, is there a pairing compatible/synergy?

Mar 10, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #7,850 of 9,409
Hello All,

Interesting ! Your conclusions are the opposite of mine! I love this hobby!
a friend let me borrow his M15 so I could compare it to my SP1000, and after a week of back and forth on the same records,I feel there’s no question the SP1000 is still leagues above the M15 in terms of separation , definition and overall weight of sound.
I was curious as well and sort of hopeful I could get the same or similar sounds from a more affordable player, but that’s absolutely not the case to my ears.
And I won’t even get into the tedious Android operating system. I hate for my DAP to look and behave like a phone....AK’s effort to shell android in their own aesthetic is very appreciated.
My SP1000 is not going anywhere, and the M15 is now back to his owner.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #7,852 of 9,409
Same problem for TIDAL on SERVICES.
From the APKPURE app the latest version is 2.21.0. On my SP1000 latest version downloaded 2.18.0.
I use app to transfer files from Mac to Android, but I can't activate update. Solution?
Schermata 2020-03-10 alle 16.17.14.png

Mar 10, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #7,854 of 9,409
Same problem for TIDAL on SERVICES.
From the APKPURE app the latest version is 2.21.0. On my SP1000 latest version downloaded 2.18.0.
I use app to transfer files from Mac to Android, but I can't activate update. Solution?Schermata 2020-03-10 alle 16.17.14.png

kinda annoying really, think this issues been going on for weeks now. Expected a quicker patch given the price of these players.

Mar 10, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #7,855 of 9,409
@Mr.Max. and @Tristy - try a soft reset. There may be something running in the background preventing the update. While powered on, press and hold the power button for 10 - 15 seconds until the player shuts down. Press the power button again to turn the player on, then try the install.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 10, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #7,857 of 9,409
@Mr.Max. and @Tristy - try a soft reset. There may be something running in the background preventing the update. While powered on, press and hold the power button for 10 - 15 seconds until the player shuts down. Press the power button again to turn the player on, then try the install.
Same for me on SP1000 The installing was ok. After the install however, when you start tidal it says "Unfortunately Tidal has stopped" It's been like thi since version 2.20. 2.19 still works though.

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #7,858 of 9,409

Is the roon update still happening or that feature will not be implemented? Thanks

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #7,859 of 9,409
Same for me on SP1000 The installing was ok. After the install however, when you start tidal it says "Unfortunately Tidal has stopped" It's been like thi since version 2.20. 2.19 still works though.
The same for me. I can't update tidal to anything beyond 2.19.0 And in APKPure there are only XAPK versions of the latest tidal versions and these cannot be sideloaded. I hope they com out with a solution before the version that can be sideloaded becomes outdated.

Mar 12, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #7,860 of 9,409
Is the roon update still happening or that feature will not be implemented? Thanks
I wish AK would just be honest with us. @JasonNYC has stated on several occasions they are working on it but...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back