New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Feb 29, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #7,816 of 9,409
Do you have access to a different DAP to see if it can index the 1TB card? Do you have access to a different microSD card to see if you SPK can index it? That way you can isolate whether the problem is with the SPK or the card.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had access to another 1tb card briefly the other day and I had the same issues with it.

I have no other DAP at the moment, though I purchased a WM1A which will arrive next week, since I got a bit tired of waiting on this to work.

Hopefull 3rd time is a charm, since I formatted again, and copying files in smaller groups as opposed to the whole 800mb folder.

we'll see.

The noise/click on changing tracks/transitions is still there, though.

Feb 29, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #7,817 of 9,409
To save your sanity, just drag a few files over to the card and then try things. Rather then do it in sections and then find out whether it worked or not.

If you are using a Mac, try Command. It's payware, but it is a lot more robust than the Adobe app..

Feb 29, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #7,818 of 9,409
To save your sanity, just drag a few files over to the card and then try things. Rather then do it in sections and then find out whether it worked or not.

If you are using a Mac, try Command. It's payware, but it is a lot more robust than the Adobe app..

Thank you, I’ll try that.
I had read a previous post of yours talking about Command so I already bought it. Thank you for the suggestion!

Feb 29, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #7,819 of 9,409
Sorry- Commander One. I'm in the middle of migrating my old computer OS to my new computer and screwed up the name. But it sound like you have it.

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #7,820 of 9,409
Is anyone running a 1tb card in their SP1000? It's a sandisk extreme, and I know they should be supported.

I have an SP1000 that is using a SanDisk Extreme 1 tb micro sdcard without issue for months. Most likely your problem is that the scan is getting hung up by a corrupt file. Mine has over 37,000 tracks and the scan takes less than a couple of hours. The SP1000 will always scan for changes on startup.

What I do is format the card to FAT32 using my iMac’s Disk Utility application and then copy my music library to the card directly. My basic library structure is Artist Folder / Album Folder / Track files. It takes many hours to copy the library to the card so I let it go over night or while I am doing other things. I then run an application called Blue Harvest (gotten from the Mac App Store) on the card to clean up the Mac File System index files. When cleaning is complete, I close the Blue Harvest application and eject the sdcard and remove it from the iMac.

Put the micro sdcard in the SP1000, turn it on and let it scan. You can scan before you install the micro sdcard to make sure the problem is not a file stored on the internal memory if you have any music stored there.

Good luck. I hope it helps you.

Mar 1, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #7,821 of 9,409
I have an SP1000 that is using a SanDisk Extreme 1 tb micro sdcard without issue for months. Most likely your problem is that the scan is getting hung up by a corrupt file. Mine has over 37,000 tracks and the scan takes less than a couple of hours. The SP1000 will always scan for changes on startup.

What I do is format the card to FAT32 using my iMac’s Disk Utility application and then copy my music library to the card directly. My basic library structure is Artist Folder / Album Folder / Track files. It takes many hours to copy the library to the card so I let it go over night or while I am doing other things. I then run an application called Blue Harvest (gotten from the Mac App Store) on the card to clean up the Mac File System index files. When cleaning is complete, I close the Blue Harvest application and eject the sdcard and remove it from the iMac.

Put the micro sdcard in the SP1000, turn it on and let it scan. You can scan before you install the micro sdcard to make sure the problem is not a file stored on the internal memory if you have any music stored there.

Good luck. I hope it helps you.

Very good suggestions, thank you.

I have downloaded Blue Harvest and will give this process a try, then report back.

Thanks again , all...I can see the light a the end of the tunnel!

A

Mar 1, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #7,822 of 9,409
Update.
after using Blue Harvest and Commander One to copy onto a freshly formatted card I was able to move my entire lossless library.
the problem resides within my MP3/m4a iTunes library.
I know because i tried to copy it onto the card and that’s when I’m stuck on the endless “scanning media” problem.
this sucks, as it’ll take forever to copy folder by folder and test (200gb of files,500 artists, who knows how many records), but honestly I have no other solution.... I looked for applications that repair media files on Mac but I couldn’t find one that did m4a (I found one for MP3 and used it, but apparently it wasn’t enough)

has anybody encountered corrupted files and needed to pinpoint which ones were the culprit(s) ?
If so, do you have any suggestions?

thank you!

PS. Needless to say I’m grateful for all the help you guys gave me as at least I have something to listen to! :)

Mar 1, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #7,823 of 9,409
I believe dBpoweramp Music Converter will convert them. It lists M4a in its codec sheet as "additional." https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

It's a wonderful program for Mac Users, rips CDs quicker than anything else I've found, and converts files easily as well.

Mar 1, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #7,824 of 9,409
I believe dBpoweramp Music Converter will convert them. It lists M4a in its codec sheet as "additional." https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

It's a wonderful program for Mac Users, rips CDs quicker than anything else I've found, and converts files easily as well.

thanks for the suggestion, though why would I need to convert them if I’m looking for a corrupted one (or multiples) ?
what I was wondering was if there’s a way to find which ones are corrupted aside from adding one by one...
Right now I’m adding by alphabet letter, then checking the sp1000 disconnected for stuck “scanning media” error. if none, I move onto the next letter in the alphabet...what a way to pass the weekend :triportsad:

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #7,825 of 9,409
Sorry- I thought you were trying to convert them out of MP3/M4a.

You might also have bad tagging and that is what is causing an issue. Scan can't work with bad tags. So if the AK is scanning and the tags are messed up enough, it can't scan them. That would give you the endless scanning. Tag editors are free or cheap. I use Yate, which is fairly robust and is payware, but there are free ones that work with a Mac. I think XLD would let you see tags, though it's not primarily an editor.

Just a thought.

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #7,826 of 9,409
When I first got my SPKM, I found a bunch of my ALAC files weren't being recognized. It seems that it is VERY fussy about what files are fed to it. The bad files (in my case) were all converted from FLAC>ALAC using XLD. After replacing those file with the original FLACs, everything was hunky-dory. So I can't recommend XLD.

If it is a problem with tags, I highly recommend Tag Editor. It's a bit pricey, but works very well and it's well laid out.

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #7,827 of 9,409
Update.
after using Blue Harvest and Commander One to copy onto a freshly formatted card I was able to move my entire lossless library.
the problem resides within my MP3/m4a iTunes library.
I know because i tried to copy it onto the card and that’s when I’m stuck on the endless “scanning media” problem.
this sucks, as it’ll take forever to copy folder by folder and test (200gb of files,500 artists, who knows how many records), but honestly I have no other solution.... I looked for applications that repair media files on Mac but I couldn’t find one that did m4a (I found one for MP3 and used it, but apparently it wasn’t enough)

has anybody encountered corrupted files and needed to pinpoint which ones were the culprit(s) ?
If so, do you have any suggestions?

thank you!

PS. Needless to say I’m grateful for all the help you guys gave me as at least I have something to listen to! :)

Are any of your files Apple protected files? I found when copying my iTunes library to my SP1KM, the protected files would cause issues with the media scan. My solution was to copy my library to another location, do a search for protected files in Finder, delete them and then copy the "updated" library to the SD card. Didn't have any issues after that.

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #7,828 of 9,409
Are any of your files Apple protected files? I found when copying my iTunes library to my SP1KM, the protected files would cause issues with the media scan. My solution was to copy my library to another location, do a search for protected files in Finder, delete them and then copy the "updated" library to the SD card. Didn't have any issues after that.

I do!

I'll try that and see what happens!

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #7,829 of 9,409
Hey Guys,

Did anyone have the chance to compare the SP1000 with M15 or Hugo2 ?

I lost my Kann recently, and I am hoping to find a DAP or a portable DAC to replace it.

It will be mainly used for my IEMs (Solaris, IE800S, SE846).
And occasionally connect with my desktop AMP for my headphones( Focal Stellia, Final D8000)

Any listening experience would be appreciate.

Mar 1, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #7,830 of 9,409
Hey Guys,

Did anyone have the chance to compare the SP1000 with M15 or Hugo2 ?

I lost my Kann recently, and I am hoping to find a DAP or a portable DAC to replace it.

It will be mainly used for my IEMs (Solaris, IE800S, SE846).
And occasionally connect with my desktop AMP for my headphones( Focal Stellia, Final D8000)

Any listening experience would be appreciate.

Porta Fi did a review of the M15. While good, it’s not at the same level as the SP1000 or 2000, according to him:

https://porta.fi/fiio-m15-player-review-new-milestone-for-a-company/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back