New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Feb 10, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #7,787 of 9,406
However, putting my music on a micro-SD card rather than on the device's memory for that purpose seem to have rendered the UI snappier… Confirmation bias?

And this is explained by the simple fact that, when I did this test, I didn't use the arm (instead of arm64) version of Spotify, and just the AK music "app"; hence the feeling that it was snappier... because it was.

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #7,788 of 9,406
So I finally received my MQA copy of Donald Fagen's The Nightfly, one of the most reference-quality albums ever made. I ripped the CD, put it in my SP1000 and hit play (well, actually, it seems like with one of the newer updates the player just starts autoplaying the first song when an album is selected. Unless someone knows how to disable that "feature."). I get the MQA symbol, a green light, and 44.1. I then compared it to my Donald Fagen box set Nightfly which plays at 48. The MQA sounds louder, somewhat brighter and more transparent, maybe a bit more lower end/timbre (but I can't swear to the latter). Then I thought, since the ripped MQA files say FLAC only, why not run it through the MQA app that adds MQA ahead of the FLAC on each cut's tag. Did so, tried it that way, same green light and same 44.1. So then I thought, let's download from the site that has MQA samples http://www.2l.no/hires/ and see what's what. I dl'd an MQA "original file," which opened with a blue light and 300+. Then I dl'd the same music but listed as MQA CD 16/44 and THAT one opened with a green light and 300+.

So, it looks like if you rip from an MQA CD you will get the green light, and if you get ahold of an original (non-CD) MQA file you get the blue light. I'm not sure if adding the MQA tag ahead of the FLAC via https://www.mqa.co.uk/tag435sdf43te does anything, as with this CD I got the same result both ways.

I'm going to play the CD through my Oppo BD player, which is listed as opening up MQA as well. My guess is that I will see the same 44.1

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #7,789 of 9,406
Sooo... news on the roon update?

Feb 17, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #7,790 of 9,406
Sooo... news on the roon update?
If it ever happens I would sell my Poly/Mojo and switch to the SP1000. I think they must have Android / Raat issues.

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #7,795 of 9,406
Sorry, I haven’t been near a computer today to get onto the forums. If I understand correctly, you are playing through folder view, correct? I believe gapless does not work when playing through folder view because folder view treats the tracks as individual files, which is why there is a pause in between tracks. Have you tried playing through album or artist and also having an issue with gapless?

hello Jason/all,

sorry for reviving an old post, but I have searched everywhere for this issue.

I can hear a tiny click/pop between tracks when I play albums in FLAC format on my sp1000.

sometimes the click is actually a regular thing, that comes and goes within the track as a pattern, almost like it’s from reading data on the card.
I can hear it if the track has low dynamics and it’s quiet, and I’m playing at a volume around 30, with Andromeda or Solaris EIMs.
its not an interruption of sound, but an extra click/pop (almost sounds like a tiny fart..I wish there was a better way to describe it!) layered low volume into the music.

I followed the instructions of playing via albums or artists view as opposed to folders, but it does not change the behavior.
All my files are on an SD card (sandisk extreme 1tb)

Let me know if you have any suggestions thank you!

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #7,796 of 9,406
The player clicks sometimes if the file you are playing has a different bit rate from the next file. It will click during the transition (sometimes). Especially audible with DSD.

Clicking during the track? Did you try a reset, or a factory reset? Also, only from playback of files on card or from both card and internal?

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #7,800 of 9,406
Hi all,

Sorry to change the subject a bit, but I recently got an SP1000 off ebay overseas. Its supposedly brand new but was sitting in storage for a while. The seller seemed legitimate so I have no reason to expect he was lying.

I suspect the battery could be completely dead. I've left it on charge for a few hours but it just sticks on a black screen of pixels. There's no charging indication so I'm not sure if it's completely bricked or what the story could be.

Any suggestions aside from "leave it on charge"? I've tried to turn it off so it would charge faster but when I hold the power the screen just flicks black on and off so I can't perform a proper shutdown it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back