New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Feb 22, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #7,802 of 9,406
Hello all,

I just purchased SP1000M and experiencing some issue; the songs seems to stutter for < a second or so at random times. Sometimes It happens when I am say swiping down from home screen or doing other operations as the song is playing or at times when even the display is off! I have a KANN (original) and don't experience it on that using the same micro SD. Has anyone experienced the same?

Except for that random stuttering I like the unit so far - great layering and separation of instruments compared to KANN. Hearing nuances that I did not know exists! Treble feels a bit sharp to my taste but hoping it gets tames down with burn in. Also wish the case had opening for the skip and play/pause button similar to the volume wheel, finding it very difficult to operate those three tiny button it without looking at it...hoping for muscle memory to kick in soon.

Thanks,
Andy

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #7,804 of 9,406
@JasonNYC got back to me suggesting I'd format the SDcard to fat32 again and start from scratch, which I did, but the issue is still there.
On top of this, the "scanning media" is taking forever....its been going on for over 10 hours now...I have restarted several times but no luck...still indexing my 1TB card.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The clicking noise sounds like a digital reading noise and it happens at the beginning of the tracks, mostly, and when I skip tracks. It's audible only on the 3.5 output, not on the 2.5 balanced out.

Thanks in advance.

hello Jason/all,

sorry for reviving an old post, but I have searched everywhere for this issue.

I can hear a tiny click/pop between tracks when I play albums in FLAC format on my sp1000.

sometimes the click is actually a regular thing, that comes and goes within the track as a pattern, almost like it’s from reading data on the card.
I can hear it if the track has low dynamics and it’s quiet, and I’m playing at a volume around 30, with Andromeda or Solaris EIMs.
its not an interruption of sound, but an extra click/pop (almost sounds like a tiny fart..I wish there was a better way to describe it!) layered low volume into the music.

I followed the instructions of playing via albums or artists view as opposed to folders, but it does not change the behavior.
All my files are on an SD card (sandisk extreme 1tb)

Let me know if you have any suggestions thank you!

Feb 27, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #7,805 of 9,406
@JasonNYC got back to me suggesting I'd format the SDcard to fat32 again and start from scratch, which I did, but the issue is still there.
On top of this, the "scanning media" is taking forever....its been going on for over 10 hours now...I have restarted several times but no luck...still indexing my 1TB card.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The clicking noise sounds like a digital reading noise and it happens at the beginning of the tracks, mostly, and when I skip tracks. It's audible only on the 3.5 output, not on the 2.5 balanced out.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a different mSD card to see if the issues also happen with the new one? There have been reports that some mSD cards have problems if a lot of files are copied at the same time, due to overheating. What manufacturer is your 1TB mSD?

It's very odd that clicking only happens on the SE output and not the balanced output. Are your using the same phones for each output? HTH

Feb 27, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #7,806 of 9,406
Do you have a different mSD card to see if the issues also happen with the new one? There have been reports that some mSD cards have problems if a lot of files are copied at the same time, due to overheating. What manufacturer is your 1TB mSD?

It's very odd that clicking only happens on the SE output and not the balanced output. Are your using the same phones for each output? HTH

hi, yes the SD card is a sandisk extreme. The clicking happenseven from the internal storage, with same IEM (solaris or Andromeda), arguably very sensitive IEMs....

Feb 27, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #7,807 of 9,406
hi, yes the SD card is a sandisk extreme. The clicking happenseven from the internal storage, with same IEM (solaris or Andromeda), arguably very sensitive IEMs....
The only time I hear a click is when there is a change in resolution (e.g., 44.1>96). Are you playing albums or a playlist? I assume you do have gapless turned on.

Maybe @JasonNYC can give guidance on trying a reset.

Feb 27, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #7,808 of 9,406
The only time I hear a click is when there is a change in resolution (e.g., 44.1>96). Are you playing albums or a playlist? I assume you do have gapless turned on.

Maybe @JasonNYC can give guidance on trying a reset.

they’re not real clicks, more a short digital buzz. Happens with albums. I don’t do playlists. All files same resolution!
Gapless on. Off...same result.

Feb 28, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #7,811 of 9,406
they’re not real clicks, more a short digital buzz. Happens with albums. I don’t do playlists. All files same resolution!
Gapless on. Off...same result.
So...I formatted the card, reset the SP1000 to factory, copied content back to TWO different cards to check if the card was the problem.

Same thing in both cards, after 12 hours to copy almost 1tb of music though android file transfer, I still get "scanning media", stuck (now 4 hours) and the same noise/click in between tracks.

@JasonNYC : have yo heard anything back from your team?

Thanks

Feb 28, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #7,812 of 9,406
Are you trying to move large amount of music files at a time? I think that software is the worst, half the time it works and half the time doesn't. I learned to move smaller amount at a time works best.

Feb 29, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #7,813 of 9,406
yes I’m simply dragging my whole library folder onto the player’s as card via android file transfer.
unbearable... and STILL scanning media non stop (now for 18 hours) I have to leave it plugged in unless I want the battery to last 6 hours at the most while it’s doing this.
so frustrating.

Are you trying to move large amount of music files at a time? I think that software is the worst, half the time it works and half the time doesn't. I learned to move smaller amount at a time works best.

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #7,814 of 9,406
getting even worse if possible...since it's been over 24 hours in "scanning media" mode, I decide dit was enough so I restarted without the SD card....only to be greeted with the same "scanning media" process still running, almost like it's stuck and not due to the card.

I am going to try and reset it again, then insert the SD card and hope the scanning media won't take forever.

Is anyone running a 1tb card in their SP1000? It's a sandisk extreme, and I know they should be supported.

I'm literally out of ideas...can anyone help?

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #7,815 of 9,406
getting even worse if possible...since it's been over 24 hours in "scanning media" mode, I decide dit was enough so I restarted without the SD card....only to be greeted with the same "scanning media" process still running, almost like it's stuck and not due to the card.

I am going to try and reset it again, then insert the SD card and hope the scanning media won't take forever.

Is anyone running a 1tb card in their SP1000? It's a sandisk extreme, and I know they should be supported.

I'm literally out of ideas...can anyone help?
Do you have access to a different DAP to see if it can index the 1TB card? Do you have access to a different microSD card to see if you SPK can index it? That way you can isolate whether the problem is with the SPK or the card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back