New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Oct 24, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #7,366 of 9,433
What the hell is Roon about, I don't even know why everyone wants it.
Roon must be some kind of music streaming solution?

So, first and foremost, Roon is a music library manager. It also manages streaming on a local network. It seamlessly integrates Tidal (also Qobuz) and, IMO, provides a better overall interface for navigating your music collection than the native Tidal interface.

One killer feature of Roon (for me) is that it is exceptionally good at supporting music exploration--everything is hyperlinked, so you can dig into credits, follow individuals or contributing artists and go listen to their material. On a whim, I even looked at album credits and clicked on the photographer for the cover art--and found 6 or 7 more albums in my collection with him on credits!

Another killer feature is the ability to support multiple streams and, with limitations, link streams together. With some planning, you can use Roon for whole-house music. You can also transfer tunes between endpoints, which is nice when I need to quiet things down--I can transfer a song from my 2-channel setup to a headphone setup and keep the music going.

That's just a sample of features Roon offers. In the context of A&K players (or other DAPs), the advantage of Roon support would be (when on your home network) to send a digital stream over WiFi to your DAP and use its DAC / sound signature, etc., to listen. Your DAP would no longer be bound by what's on its internal storage, and you could use a tablet + Roon interface to more easily browse music and send it to your DAP. It's mostly a matter of improved convenience, but once you've played with Roon and discovered all the fun ways it lets you interact with your music, you'll understand why having Roon support on a DAP is so appealing.

Does Roon significantly improves SQ? for this DAP and others? Can someone explains how it works such as this : NUC(Roon)=>MBPro\HQPlayer\poly-sinc-xtr=>ethernet=>PI 4\DietPi\NAA=>usb=>SP1000-DACMode=>tia fourte or Legend X

Roon, generally speaking, doesn't do anything magic to improve sound quality. Rather, it's good at preserving sound quality. The Roon architecture uses a central server (Roon Core) that manages your library metadata and directs all of the streaming over your local network. One or more computers or devices on your network act as Roon Endpoints and receive the audio streams. The Core knows about the capabilities of each endpoint and will optimize the stream to each endpoint to send the best signal quality it supports. Roon also handles MQA unfolding. Generally speaking, if you have a quality endpoint that supports a wide range of formats, then Roon will send your track to the endpoint in its native format--you get the exact native bits of the track, unperturbed by transcoding or DSP. If you have a DAC that doesn't support MQA in hardware, Roon can handle the unfolding in software and send a full-quality PCM stream to your DAC.

I skirted the topic of add-ons like HQPlayer, but if you wish to have Roon upsample your streams before sending them out over your network you can do so. Personally, I prefer native format over upsampling, but I've read plenty of positive reviews from people about HQPlayer. If you're into tinkering, knock yourself out.

Since A&K players have such wide support for high-res formats, Roon's ability to preserve native formats or upsample is a good match for A&K's ability to play them back. FWIW, Roon accomplishes this by using their own custom digital transport protocol called RAAT. Older formats, like DLNA, are bandwidth-limited in the same way as OG Bluetooth or S/PDIF (optical/coax). RAAT was built from the ground up to ensure that all of your bits get from the Core to the Endpoint without needing to downsample the audio stream. I suspect RAAT support is (was?) the major hangup behind the waiting game with A&K's Roon support (although there's also a certification process, so no telling what i's need to be dotted and t's crossed to get the final, official signoff).

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #7,369 of 9,433
I still don't understand the planning regarding Roon after spending some time trying to google it.
Is it officially announced?
I'm getting a pair of LCD-I4 soon and I'd kind of require Roon Labs as I can't use the presets / EQ otherwise?
Besides the Astell & Kern EQ is pretty meh (as they explained - show of the true sound but that doesn't work well for Audeze LCD-I4).

Anyone got any experience with making an LCD-I4 work with the SP1000M?
Do we need Roon for this or are there other options?

Thanks

Kind regards

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #7,370 of 9,433
@ Jason,

Is it possible to get traditional Chinese handwriting support for input? I can’t search otherwise

thx

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #7,371 of 9,433
Qobuz, Tidal, Mora-qualitas...
Is there any way to manager their libraries in one user interface?
I see roon, roon and...roon many times here but I know nothing about it.
Does roon help or it just something as like Jriver?

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #7,372 of 9,433
I don’t know since ak doesn’t offer roon, but it improved sound quality on my pc when I use my pc as the source to play music.
It’s slightly better than the groove, jriver, and iTunes.

Roon will manage all of tidal and qobuz in one interface seamlessly.

Oct 25, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #7,373 of 9,433
If you have it connected in usd dac mode to your computer it will charge no matter if idle or playing. I use mine this way connected to pi 4 as a roon endpoint.

So there are no issues with just leaving it plugged in all the time and on a charging cycle all the time I guess? Normally I will charge and then use as a portable source so I get a charge and deeper discharge cycle. Is there a FAQ on best battery charging practice for A&K DAPs?

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #7,374 of 9,433
So there are no issues with just leaving it plugged in all the time and on a charging cycle all the time I guess? Normally I will charge and then use as a portable source so I get a charge and deeper discharge cycle. Is there a FAQ on best battery charging practice for A&K DAPs?
Maybe @JasonNYC could comment. At the same time, any tidbits on Roon?

Oct 26, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #7,375 of 9,433
F*cking hell, dropped my sp1000m not event 1 feet from the ground and now the corner is scuffed :frowning2:
Stupid top exposed case by Klab...

Oct 26, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #7,377 of 9,433
Can anyone help me time how long it takes your AK to boot up into the home screen once you press to on? Mine is taking unusually long... nearly 30 seconds the moment I press and hold the button...

Oct 26, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #7,378 of 9,433
Can anyone help me time how long it takes your AK to boot up into the home screen once you press to on? Mine is taking unusually long... nearly 30 seconds the moment I press and hold the button...
Seems about right from powered off state.

Oct 26, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #7,379 of 9,433
Seems about right from powered off state.

Really? I don't remember it taking that long. Even in the unboxing videos it took around 11 seconds only from the moment the logo appears to load into the home screen.
-7 seconds from static logo to the logo that start turning and 4 seconds for logo turning into home screen.

For mine it took around 25 seconds from the moment the logo appears to load into the home screen
- 9 seconds from static logo to the logo that start turning, and another 16 seconds for logo turning into home screen.

Oct 26, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #7,380 of 9,433
Really? I don't remember it taking that long. Even in the unboxing videos it took around 11 seconds only from the moment the logo appears to load into the home screen.
-7 seconds from static logo to the logo that start turning and 4 seconds for logo turning into home screen.

For mine it took around 25 seconds from the moment the logo appears to load into the home screen
- 9 seconds from static logo to the logo that start turning, and another 16 seconds for logo turning into home screen.
I thought they timed from the start of pressing the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back