New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 14, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #6,316 of 9,406
Weirdly quite tricky to get decent priced wm1z in the uk

May 14, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #6,317 of 9,406
@JasonNYC Could you please tell us more about the type of copper on the new SP2000 cu ? compare to the coper of the current SP1000 cu; is it the same ? or does AK increase it's ability to resist to tarnishment ?
can't forget the hard experience with AK380 cu.
that's will help decide to order a new SP2000 cu or if I have to keep my current SP1000ss with an AMP.
copper is really nice, and beautiful, but .....
thanks in advance
sam

May 15, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #6,318 of 9,406
So I have done an A/B comparison between SP1000 and SP1000M Gold that I just received a few days ago. The sound signature of these 2 DAPs is very different. I found SP1000 to be more airy, detailed and have a much better sound stage, while SP1000M Gold is very warm and lacks details in the mid/upper range. The Gold version is also different from the blue SP1000M that I had in the past. I had high hopes on SP1000M Gold but I have to say that I am disappointed. If the size was not a problem with SP1000, I would have kept it. It is a much better DAP than the SP1000M, although they say that they have the same internals

May 15, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #6,319 of 9,406
Does anybody have some advice on the SP1000SS with either the Solaris or Focal Clear? I know a full size headphone is totally different to an IEM, but I'm torn between the two. After much reading I think it should drive either wel . I'm after a full powerful sound but detailed too.

Anyway, anyone who has heard either on the SP1000.

May 15, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #6,320 of 9,406
Does anybody have some advice on the SP1000SS with either the Solaris or Focal Clear? I know a full size headphone is totally different to an IEM, but I'm torn between the two. After much reading I think it should drive either wel . I'm after a full powerful sound but detailed too.

Anyway, anyone who has heard either on the SP1000.
I have that combo right now , and it’s sounds great even in SE . I haven’t purchased a balanced cable yet so can’t tell you how it sounds in balanced mode . But the Solaris are super sensitive and easy to drive so even in SE the sp1000 SS drives them just fine .

May 15, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #6,321 of 9,406
Thank you, think I'm decided that Solaris is the way to go. I think they'll certainly reproduce what the SP1000 can do without much compromise. Do not want to spend anymore than £1500. I did have the IE800S's a while back, they in hindsight were wonderful with the SP1000.

May 15, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #6,322 of 9,406
So I have done an A/B comparison between SP1000 and SP1000M Gold that I just received a few days ago. The sound signature of these 2 DAPs is very different. I found SP1000 to be more airy, detailed and have a much better sound stage, while SP1000M Gold is very warm and lacks details in the mid/upper range. The Gold version is also different from the blue SP1000M that I had in the past. I had high hopes on SP1000M Gold but I have to say that I am disappointed. If the size was not a problem with SP1000, I would have kept it. It is a much better DAP than the SP1000M, although they say that they have the same internals

How many hours do you have on your SPKMG? Give it at least 50hrs of playback time to let caps burn in and the sound to open up. Don't have gold, but had a brief listening early this year at CanJam NYC. Yes, it had a warmer fuller body sig, but I don't recall such a drastic difference in terms of lacking details.

May 15, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #6,323 of 9,406
Anybody know how these compare to the wm1z and n8. Bought and sold lotoo paw gold touch as sound was not for me.

If the sound of lotoo paw gold touch is not for you, then you might want to try the sp1000ss/cu as sp1000m gold and wm1z both kinda has that thick full bodied mids like the lotoo.

sp1000ss has a very wide and spacious soundstage that sounds kinda holographic. lows are punchy and highs are sparky. I would suggest you give all of them a try if possible.

I like the sp1000ss as certain songs sounded like live performances. cheers.

May 15, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #6,324 of 9,406
How many hours do you have on your SPKMG? Give it at least 50hrs of playback time to let caps burn in and the sound to open up. Don't have gold, but had a brief listening early this year at CanJam NYC. Yes, it had a warmer fuller body sig, but I don't recall such a drastic difference in terms of lacking details.
Hey Twister... I've seen burn in improvement on my 1000m well past 200 hours, it even seemed to hit a plateux at around 250 hours, then breakthrough to something even more finely polished... I had to return my unit and A&k sent me a new unit, so I'm enjoying listening to the change in sound as the unit burns in. Just as an experiment I'm going to burn it in to 200, then do a listen test, then go to 250, listen again , then go to 300 hour burn in then listen again, I'm curious to see how far this goes

May 15, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #6,325 of 9,406
Hey Twister... I've seen burn in improvement on my 1000m well past 200 hours, it even seemed to hit a plateux at around 250 hours, then breakthrough to something even more finely polished... I had to return my unit and A&k sent me a new unit, so I'm enjoying listening to the change in sound as the unit burns in. Just as an experiment I'm going to burn it in to 200, then do a listen test, then go to 250, listen again , then go to 300 hour burn in then listen again, I'm curious to see how far this goes

Many manufacturers actually do recommend 200hr burn in, some even include burn-in cables :wink: But while it's beneficial (for those who believe and hear the changes), the longer you take to burn in, the less reliable our a/b comparison impressions cause unless you have 2 units side-by-side (with one fresh out of the box and another one with 200hrs on it) - it will become more of a placebo effect to remember how it sounded 2+ weeks ago. One thing I would recommend, when you're doing a long term burn-in, try to take some periodic notes how it compares to another well burn-in DAP you have in your collection. Then, take a note 50hrs later. At least when you have a relative a/b comparison you are not going by memory which could be deceiving.

May 15, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #6,326 of 9,406
Hi @JasonNYC - sorry to bug you but..... any time line on roon from the high end show?

May 15, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #6,327 of 9,406
Hi @JasonNYC - sorry to bug you but..... any time line on roon from the high end show?
We met with Roon team and had a good discussion. No definite time frame that we can share yet, but was a productive meeting on moving forward and getting it done.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 15, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #6,328 of 9,406
Many manufacturers actually do recommend 200hr burn in, some even include burn-in cables :wink: But while it's beneficial (for those who believe and hear the changes), the longer you take to burn in, the less reliable our a/b comparison impressions cause unless you have 2 units side-by-side (with one fresh out of the box and another one with 200hrs on it) - it will become more of a placebo effect to remember how it sounded 2+ weeks ago. One thing I would recommend, when you're doing a long term burn-in, try to take some periodic notes how it compares to another well burn-in DAP you have in your collection. Then, take a note 50hrs later. At least when you have a relative a/b comparison you are not going by memory which could be deceiving.
That's great advice, thanks!

May 15, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #6,329 of 9,406
Copper and Stainless Steel

Awesome, I would love to read some reviews. They're coming out in July right? I'm curious how much would be appropriate to sell my SP1000SS for (along with the cordovan leather case), given that it's priced the same as the SP2000.

Also, although I love my SS, I always wondered how copper sounded. I know copper was recommended for "classical music", but I have a bright cable and IEM setup (Horus + Tia fourte), so i'm curious as to how the copper would sound with them. I listen to mainly heavy metal music.

May 15, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #6,330 of 9,406
I’m a metal head too, so I’m interested in the replies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back