New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 16, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #6,332 of 9,409
IMO the SP1000cu absolutely rocks!
The KSE 1200 pairing produces the more detailed and powerful sound i ever heard from a DAP...
Excellent coherence, plenty of bass, soundstage and definition in all frecuencies, it´s like a Solaris+SP1000ss but upgraded, refined...

This DAP can be upgraded??
I cannot wait to hear the new SP2000cu

IMG_2391.jpg

May 16, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #6,333 of 9,409
The KSE 1200 pairing produces the more detailed and powerful sound i ever heard from a DAP...
Excellent coherence, plenty of bass, soundstage and definition in all frecuencies, it´s like a Solaris+SP1000ss but upgraded, refined...

About to post on this topic on the KSE (1500 but also 1200) thread.

May 16, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #6,334 of 9,409
May 16, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #6,335 of 9,409

That's a sweet rig, no doubt. I've been dreaming about the shure 1200. After using the CL2, planar is all i'm interested in.

May 16, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #6,336 of 9,409
Hey, sorry for being stupid. Does the sp1000m have a line out to an amp?

May 16, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #6,337 of 9,409
So, now that I’ve received the KSE1200s, I wanted to update my thoughts versus my hour-long demo from May 6, 2019. For reference, my current DAP is the A&Ultima SP1000 stainless steel (SS), with downloaded Tidal Masters (24/96) and HiFi (16/44) tracks. I’ve spent a few hours A/B-ing with my fave IEMs (Cosmic Ears CE6P universal with a balanced Labkable 8W copper cable) in a super quiet listening environment.

Soundstage: as mentioned in my demo, it’s not as wide as my existing IEMs. But I think that to some extent we can ignore the brand of my IEMs and put that down to single ended (KSEs) versus balanced (my IEMs). I’ve always liked balanced with any IEM and DAP, mainly for the wider soundstage. The KSEs are not so narrow that it spoils my enjoyment - in fact it’s perfectly acceptable. I would, however, love it if Shure did a balanced version of the 1200s.

Volume: my normal IEMs - around 65-75 depending on the song. With the KSEs - 120 on the SP1000 SS, then adjust the KSE amp to taste.

Fit: The Shures are small units and very comfortable for prolonged listening. But the tip selection is as much, or more important than with any universal IEM. They come supplied with a big selection - black foam, yellow symmetrical foam, white spiral super deep, and more regular rubber tips. I’m still trying to find the best tips for my ears where I don’t have to press them in further for the best bass sound (and I’m not a heavy bass person).

Interestingly, my existing IEMs with the copper cable have more energy for rock/ blues music (The Black Crowes, The Darkness, Bonnie Raitt etc). But they also sound a touch more muffled / warm - a bit like how I remember the SP1000 Cu versus the SS.

Separation: the Shures are amazing for this. And I mean UNBELIEVABLE. Instruments, percussion and vocals pop out in a way that I’ve never heard before.

My existing IEMs have a wider soundstage and the AK SP1000 SS is a phenomenal listening device (as it bloody well should be for the money). So we are, as always, talking small differences. The KSE1200s are also a substantial investment. So where does that leave us?

Overall, I’ll throw this into the pot: I’m a guitar player and have done a lot of recording sessions in studios. The KSE1200s are, to my ears, what you would hear in a recording studio through unforgiving (read, “neutral, uncoloured”) very, very high end studio monitors. With every song, I feel like I’m hearing exactly what the producer and engineer wanted to get down onto “tape” (CD, vinyl etc).

I will still enjoy my other IEMs with the SP1000 SS, and enjoy not having to stack the KSE amp. But there is something addictive, crisp and yet still “emotional” with the Shure’s. Sorry if this sounds contradictory, as “emotional” would probably be associated with more of a warm, mid-frequency hump earphone. And the 1200s are not “warm”.

But I had a lump in my throat with a couple of heartfelt songs with the KSEs that I haven’t had with the other IEMs. As per my May 6 demo, the difference is less pronounced with rockier music. But with more delicate, acoustic music, the Shure’s are ridiculously good. And the songs I picked out on that demo as amazing with the Shure’s still apply.

I’ve always said to people who don’t get this wallet-busting hobby that if they can’t tell the difference between an iPhone, Itunes/Spotify and Apple earbuds versus a posh DAP, Tidal HiFi and equally posh IEMs, then they should save their money and carry on with life with more money in their bank account. I think the same logic applies to the KSE1200s. I haven’t yet tried them with an iPhone or iPad. Maybe they sound stunning. And even with a silly-money DAP like the SP1000, they won’t blow your mind with every song in your collection versus your existing expensive IEMs. But with a few - just a few really good songs with the right production - they will touch your heart. I leave it to you guys and girls to decide how much that is worth.

EDIT: am I the only person who needs different size tips in each ear for full bass delivery? I mean, people have different size left and right feet, right?

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #6,338 of 9,409
So, now that I’ve received the KSE1200s, I wanted to update my thoughts versus my hour-long demo from May 6, 2019. For reference, my current DAP is the A&Ultima SP1000 stainless steel (SS), with downloaded Tidal Masters (24/96) and HiFi (16/44) tracks. I’ve spent a few hours A/B-ing with my fave IEMs (Cosmic Ears CE6P universal with a balanced Labkable 8W copper cable) in a super quiet listening environment.

Soundstage: as mentioned in my demo, it’s not as wide as my existing IEMs. But I think that to some extent we can ignore the brand of my IEMs and put that down to single ended (KSEs) versus balanced (my IEMs). I’ve always liked balanced with any IEM and DAP, mainly for the wider soundstage. The KSEs are not so narrow that it spoils my enjoyment - in fact it’s perfectly acceptable. I would, however, love it if Shure did a balanced version of the 1200s.

Volume: my normal IEMs - around 65-75 depending on the song. With the KSEs - 120 on the SP1000 SS, then adjust the KSE amp to taste.

Fit: The Shures are small units and very comfortable for prolonged listening. But the tip selection is as much, or more important than with any universal IEM. They come supplied with a big selection - black foam, yellow symmetrical foam, white spiral super deep, and more regular rubber tips. I’m still trying to find the best tips for my ears where I don’t have to press them in further for the best bass sound (and I’m not a heavy bass person).

Interestingly, my existing IEMs with the copper cable have more energy for rock/ blues music (The Black Crowes, The Darkness, Bonnie Raitt etc). But they also sound a touch more muffled / warm - a bit like how I remember the SP1000 Cu versus the SS.

Separation: the Shures are amazing for this. And I mean UNBELIEVABLE. Instruments, percussion and vocals pop out in a way that I’ve never heard before.

My existing IEMs have a wider soundstage and the AK SP1000 SS is a phenomenal listening device (as it bloody well should be for the money). So we are, as always, talking small differences. The KSE1200s are also a substantial investment. So where does that leave us?

Overall, I’ll throw this into the pot: I’m a guitar player and have done a lot of recording sessions in studios. The KSE1200s are, to my ears, what you would hear in a recording studio through unforgiving (read, “neutral, uncoloured”) very, very high end studio monitors. With every song, I feel like I’m hearing exactly what the producer and engineer wanted to get down onto “tape” (CD, vinyl etc).

I will still enjoy my other IEMs with the SP1000 SS, and enjoy not having to stack the KSE amp. But there is something addictive, crisp and yet still “emotional” with the Shure’s. Sorry if this sounds contradictory, as “emotional” would probably be associated with more of a warm, mid-frequency hump earphone. And the 1200s are not “warm”.

But I had a lump in my throat with a couple of heartfelt songs with the KSEs that I haven’t had with the other IEMs. As per my May 6 demo, the difference is less pronounced with rockier music. But with more delicate, acoustic music, the Shure’s are ridiculously good. And the songs I picked out on that demo as amazing with the Shure’s still apply.

I’ve always said to people who don’t get this wallet-busting hobby that if they can’t tell the difference between an iPhone, Itunes/Spotify and Apple earbuds versus a posh DAP, Tidal HiFi and equally posh IEMs, then they should save their money and carry on with life with more money in their bank account. I think the same logic applies to the KSE1200s. I haven’t yet tried them with an iPhone or iPad. Maybe they sound stunning. And even with a silly-money DAP like the SP1000, they won’t blow your mind with every song in your collection versus your existing expensive IEMs. But with a few - just a few really good songs with the right production - they will touch your heart. I leave it to you guys and girls to decide how much that is worth.
Nice review... I use the CL2, (I and a lot of other feel they are vastly underrated), with the 1000M. I am constantly amazed at how wonderful the planar sounds. Many times i will listen to a song and feel it is underwhelming, and i doubt my gear; then i will listen to something that sounds magical, and then i remember, it's not the gear, it's the recording. The gear is largely transparent, as audiophile gear should be. But when it all comes together, it sounds magical. I want more of this 'planar' sound, but the 1200 is so expensive, maybe i can find a decent used unit.

May 16, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #6,339 of 9,409
Nice review... I use the CL2, (I and a lot of other feel they are vastly underrated), with the 1000M. I am constantly amazed at how wonderful the planar sounds. Many times i will listen to a song and feel it is underwhelming, and i doubt my gear; then i will listen to something that sounds magical, and then i remember, it's not the gear, it's the recording. The gear is largely transparent, as audiophile gear should be. But when it all comes together, it sounds magical. I want more of this 'planar' sound, but the 1200 is so expensive, maybe i can find a decent used unit.

Well said - more eloquent than I could manage. I’m not an expert on electrostatics as I only use IEMs for listening to music and basic -but good quality - full size headphones in the studio. I think mine are

There was a period from the early 2000s to quite recently where every pop / rock song had massively OTT compression at the mastering stage to make it sound really loud on the radio - that’s why a TV advertisement always seems really loud versus the show you were watching, and there’s an infamous Metallica album where they went so bananas that it sounds awful (Google it). I definitely feel like a really TOTL DAP and IEMs (not just the Shure’s) combo can spit out what the producer / mixer / mastering engineer and of course the actual band wanted us to hear. When we have the gear to hear that, it’s a real pleasure.

May 16, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #6,340 of 9,409
Hey, sorry for being stupid. Does the sp1000m have a line out to an amp?
You can use OTG cable, but there is also a 2V Line Out option.

May 16, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #6,341 of 9,409
You can use OTG cable, but there is also a 2V Line Out option.
Thanks as I was wondering if it has enough power for headphones.

May 16, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #6,342 of 9,409
Thanks as I was wondering if it has enough power for headphones.
mmmmm.... I listened to a few, like the Focal Clear, and the sennheiser 800 but to really drive it well, you need an external amp.

May 16, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #6,343 of 9,409
mmmmm.... I listened to a few, like the Focal Clear, and the sennheiser 800 but to really drive it well, you need an external amp.
What's a good amp for a ak sp1000m?

May 16, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #6,345 of 9,409
Question is sp1000 ss or sp1000m gold....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back