New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Mar 13, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #5,746 of 9,409
So I’m basically looking to add a bit more low end to my A18t, do you think the Gold would help with that or should I look into a different cable pairing instead?

Thanks.
I would go with a quality copper cable. The gold 1000M isn't going to add any bass or low end...

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #5,747 of 9,409
I felt like that didn’t have much effect.

I thought that too initially on my sp1000cu. I got much better results by using the advanced option and widening the q factor.

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #5,749 of 9,409
OK, so 'bold' is bigger, thicker. Thicker notes. Hence less 'air'; I think we are saying the same thing!
Maybe. But to my ears, it's slightly different. Somehow this subtle "boldness" does not affect the space between notes.

Mar 13, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #5,750 of 9,409
So I’m basically looking to add a bit more low end to my A18t, do you think the Gold would help with that or should I look into a different cable pairing instead?

Thanks.
If you are talking about the difference between Gold and Blue, the difference is subtle. I'm sure that using a different cable will make more noticeable change.

Mar 15, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #5,751 of 9,409
I would go with a quality copper cable. The gold 1000M isn't going to add any bass or low end...

Try looking into the effect audio thor ii cable. It transformed my andromedas in a very good way. Tighter bass with more impact, bigger soundstage, sounds smoother with incredible detail and without any sibilance. They are the warmest sounding silver cable out there. Really good stuff.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #5,752 of 9,409
Try looking into the effect audio thor ii cable. It transformed my andromedas in a very good way. Tighter bass with more impact, bigger soundstage, sounds smoother with incredible detail and without any sibilance. They are the warmest sounding silver cable out there. Really good stuff.
I liked the Eros II+, had the best balance for me, the Thor was too smooth...

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #5,753 of 9,409
I liked the Eros II+, had the best balance for me, the Thor was too smooth...

Really?! Havent heard the eros ii+ yet. Will try this combo when i get to singapore next month. Im quite happy with the thor ii’s though. Glad i decided to get a decent balanced cable.

Mar 16, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #5,759 of 9,409
IMG_20190203_151952.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190203151915108_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190203_151935.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190203151859978_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190203_151952.jpg
IMG_20190203_151952.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190203151915108_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190203_151935.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190203151859978_COVER.jpg
Do you have experience with the AOL litz cable for $150? I am getting ready to buy Effect Audio Eros II + for $399... i wonder how the Fiios stack up?

I sure do. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the Standard CA Litz MMCX Cable that comes stock with some of their IEM's!!! It's my LEAST used MMCX Cables!

Don't get me wrong, they're better than your average stock cable, but they don't have the resolution and details that my Linum cables have, and I can't stand the memory wire around the ears! They do have a nice low-end response to them and if I didn't have the Linum G2 SuperBax and Bax cables and the FiiO LC 2.5c, I'd probably be very happy with them and not know what I'm missing. But they lose the intimacy and definition that my other MMCX Cables have and certainly don't "blow me away" by any means!!!

With the Andromedas in mind and compared to the FiiO LC balanced cable, the FiiO LC is warmer and thicker sounding and oozes resolution, soundstage, imaging and intimacy. The FiiO LC is a much better match with the Andromedas IMO than my Dorado's, and for half of the cost of the Bax and a QUARTER of the cost of my SuperBax, there's just no comparison. That's also going from 3.5mm single-ended -> 2.5mm balanced too, so obviously better sound going balanced, but for $70/USD, I don't think you can go wrong with it, especially for the Andromedas and any ALL BA IEM's or any "neutral or brighter" IEM's!!!

I'll put it this way, I had planned on buying a Linum SuperBax Balanced MMCX Cable AS SOON AS they were available, but I wanted to go balanced before waiting that long, and I said to myself "what do I have to lose by spending $70 on the FiiO LC"? Well, I LOVE the Andromeda/FiiO LC 2.5c combo so much, that I honestly don't see myself buying the Linum SuperBax Balanced Cable at all now, at least not ANYTIME soon, and that's after RAVING about the Linum G2 stuff for the past 1.5 years. So that should give you an idea of how much I like my FiiO LC balanced cable with my Andromedas

Now with my Dorado's in mind, I prefer the Linum G2 SuperBax and Bax cables and the CA Standard Litz MMCX Cable. But with those I still prefer the better resolution and intimacy of the Linum cables. Plus, they're much lighter AND comfortable, with no memory wire to mess around with and are a great match with the Dorado's smaller size!!!

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #5,760 of 9,409
I sure do. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the Standard CA Litz MMCX Cable that comes stock with some of their IEM's!!! It's my LEAST used MMCX Cables!

With the Andromedas in mind and compared to the FiiO LC balanced cable, the FiiO LC is warmer and thicker sounding and oozes resolution, soundstage, imaging and intimacy. The FiiO LC is a much better match with the Andromedas IMO than my Dorado's, and for half of the cost of the Bax and a QUARTER of the cost of my SuperBax, there's just no comparison. That's also going from 3.5mm single-ended -> 2.5mm balanced too, so obviously better sound going balanced, but for $70/USD, I don't think you can go wrong with it, especially for the Andromedas and any ALL BA IEM's or any "neutral or brighter" IEM's!!!

Ears are peculiar things. When I got my Andromeda OG's I got a deal on their 2.5mm trrs standard litz cable too which I thought was a pretty good cable, but I couldn't live with either the memory wire nor the tinsel thin wiring, so I upgraded to a Forza Hybrid iem cable which I'd describe in the exact same way you describe the SuperBax cable (both European). The one time I tried a balanced (2.5mm) FiiO cable (RC-IE8B) I knew within seconds that it was a bad idea, far far too bright

Users who are viewing this thread

Back