New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Mar 10, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #5,686 of 9,409
I tried from the setting to change to the USB setting from mass storage to USB dac but I can’t seems to change the setting.
Drag down from the top of the home screen and you will see an icon for "external usb". Tap on the external usb icon after you have connected your AK to the DAC BY USBC and it will change to say "USB audio" . Then it ought to play.

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #5,689 of 9,409
Yup I tried doing that buy when I tap the icon for "external usb", nothing happens.
Hello,

Does your player connect to your computer ok via USB? My SP1000m g can be frustratingly temperamental when trying to connect via USB 3.0. My other laptop that is USB 2.0 has no such issues.

Strangely, my old ak70mki connects fine via USB 2.0 and 3.0.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #5,693 of 9,409
I am hoping that iRiver will release a more powerful model, with longer battery life , 4.4 mm balanced at High End Show in May.

I don't think AK will adopt the 4.4mm balanced, with their collaboration with Jerry Harvey only 2.5 and 3.5mm iem option, I would be shocked.

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #5,694 of 9,409
I don't think AK will adopt the 4.4mm balanced, with their collaboration with Jerry Harvey only 2.5 and 3.5mm iem option, I would be shocked.

I could be wrong, and this is just my personal opinion, but I think A&K has a deep sense of a personal pride in being one of the pioneers of 2.5mm balanced output. And similar to Apple with their stubbornness about lack of support for high-res Bluetooth codecs, it could take a while before they (A&K) will consider switching to 4.4mm BAL. But then, watch me eat my words if/when they release a new flagship with 4.4mm LOL!!!

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #5,695 of 9,409
I totally agree, but yeah like you, I would be shocked if they ever do release flagship DAP with a 4.4mm balanced input.

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #5,696 of 9,409
I could be wrong, and this is just my personal opinion, but I think A&K has a deep sense of a personal pride in being one of the pioneers of 2.5mm balanced output. And similar to Apple with their stubbornness about lack of support for high-res Bluetooth codecs, it could take a while before they (A&K) will consider switching to 4.4mm BAL. But then, watch me eat my words if/when they release a new flagship with 4.4mm LOL!!!

I too don't think A&K would do that,
as the 4,4 mm is so much bigger, meaning lesser space for internal components, which is crucial for portable devices.
I like the 2,5 mm format the best, so much space and weight (especially weight on the side of the cable) saved. I actually dream of it being adapted on smartphones for which the 3,5 mm format is already too big, leading some companies to get rid of all jack connectors on their smartphones.
Actually I am personally strongly against the 4,4 mm format for the following reasons:
- the 6,35 mm is a standard so much established on the base of existing desktop , especially professional audio, devices that it just can't be done away
- the 3,5 mm is also so much established on the base of portable devices that it can't be done away
- the 2,5 mm is optimal for saving space and weight on portable devices, the 4,4 mm is much bigger and the jack much heavier so that by the definition of its size it will never be as much space and weight-saving as the 3,5 mm and more so as the 2,5 mm formats (BTW, I have always found the 2,5 mm connectors to be strong enough on AK players, never had any issues).
In conclusion, the 4,4 comes many decades too late to replace the 6,35 desktop format, and will never be ideal for the space-saving requirements of portable devices, so that it only creates complications by adding a further format to three formats already established.

Astell & Kern, for me you are doing right with the 2,5 mm balanced connector (plus the small enough 3,5 mm unbalanced connectors, the use of both small connectors avoiding confusions re. which connector is balanced or not), go on like this! You make the best portable players, you are the number one, don't let big consumer companies like Sony impress you.

I have one suggestion though:
Could you please consider adding support for Huawei's LHDC Hi Res Bluetooth audio codec?
I am mentioning this because Hifiman supports this codec for its Bluetooth receiver cord (e.g. for the coming BT Ananda) but they said that they will not support LDAC.

All the best,
bidn

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #5,697 of 9,409
A kind of cry near the hight end audio cable makers !
8 cores cables, 16 cores cables are really great with iems and totally improve the sound quality, soundstage, now just asking them to work hard on the design, and make those cables portable.
because, most of the time, these cable are very heavy, to be wear!
the design of linium cable is very nice, but what about the sound quality with iems like Trinity ss ?
I'm about to jump on Linum® 2Pin SuperBaX Balanced 2.5mm TRRS. : https://www.linum.dk/shop/buy-now/ for the trinity ss.
but due the hight cost, I'm looking for advice and suggestion.
thanks

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #5,698 of 9,409
Why would A&K change from 2.5 balanced? I'm not reading tons of posts here (or even a few) from folks who have broken theirs. Lots of cable makers Including Jerry Harvey and EA still like 2.5. As stated above, 2.5 is smaller. And what would be the response if suddenly the newest A&K flagship was available only with 3.5 and 4.4? Everyone who had expensive (or even not so expensive) cables in 2.5 would have to sell them, re-terminate them, or stick them in a drawer. So what would drive A&K to change to that format? I suppose it's possible, since it has moved away from music files only to streaming (which I didn't think would happen, either). I guess we will see, but I wouldn't put any money on it, and I would likely move to a different TOTL brand if that were the case.

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #5,699 of 9,409
Hi,
after several weeks of searching, hesitating between Tia foure and others iems, my heart went finally for Jomo audio!
Trinity SS, 3.5mm stock cable + ares II balanced 2.5mm cable.
Wow, just goes to show you; I listened to Trinity at canjam last month and wasn't impressed... What is it that you like about them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back