New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jan 24, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #5,131 of 9,411
I wonder if anyone can help advise. I currently have a Fiio X5 III and I've got sick of the bugs and very laggy interface. I was looking to upgrade from a sound perspective anyway but I definitely don't want something as buggy as the Fiio.

I'm happy to splash the cash on something like the SP1000m (the SP1000 looks too big for me). I don't particularly want to be upgrading again anytime soon hence thinking I'll get the SP1000M and hopefully I'll keep it for a while. I've not seen a whole lot of comparisons with the SR15 or the SE100 (though this is big like the SP1000) or many other models in general really. People compare it with the SP1000 but as I said that's too big and probably too much money as well!
I have a pair of SE846 so can someone convince me that it's worth buying the extra for the SP1000M? Note I'd be happy to upgrade the IEMs in the future if required.

Thanks.

Stay with the SE846 they are very good with SP1000M and terminate one of the stock cables (to keep the same sig) into 2.5mm trrs.There are such plugs on ebay for 2-3 euro like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/263743518063 .Instead of spending $1500-2000 for another iem,spend another $400 for Sennheiser HD660S and get an adapter for the stock balanced cable from amazon for 18 euro.You will enjoy it much more especially at home and after a couple of years(or months if you stay here) you can spend $3000-4000 for the shiny new flagship iems that will appear.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #5,132 of 9,411
I recently took the plunge and bought a SE100 after comparing it to the 1000m in a longer listening session.

I would advice you to do the same and find out which kind of sound you prefer and/or whether the differences are worth the extra money for you. I was totally open and willing to buy the better sounding one. Have been quite surprised in the end, that I liked the SE100 Sabre sound even better than that of the 1000m (with the stuff and the IEM) I listened to. Who knows what you will hear? Since I also liked the form factor of the SE100 better than the 1000m (same weight but much larger and easier to use (type on) screen) I was happily saving some money for other gear.

Don't know the 846 but the actual IEMs are that good, that it might be a wise move to upgrade both, source and monitors...

Meanwhile I added a Kanas Pro to the DM6 I had used for the auditioning and I could not be happier atm...

Thanks for the replies - I certainly would like to keep the IEMs as is at the moment and upgrade when I've saved up for those.
It's funny that I prefer the form factor of the SP1000M, although it has to be said this is on paper - it just looks too big for me when I'm travelling.

Did you or anyone compare the SP1000M or SE100 to any other models in the A&K range?

Jan 25, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #5,133 of 9,411
I do use the SE846 in its original mount , It's a good fit with the SP1000 and the sound is warmer and deep enough to hear the magic.
I tried other IEMs and most of them where sounding too analytical with less bass.
Maybe an upgrade to the KSE 1200 will do the trick for me.
I tried the Focal Utopia and i was quite pleased with the sound... i look forward to buy one later when i can

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #5,134 of 9,411
Jan 25, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #5,135 of 9,411
Is anyone else underwhelmed by the volume dial on the SP1000? I absolutely love everything about this DAP (the sounds is amazing), but the dial is really a weak point IMO. It's loose, it has no resistance, and it's actually really hard to use when the DAP is flat on a table.

Missing my Woo WA8 knob - that thing was awesome. Zero play, nice resistance...

Jan 25, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #5,136 of 9,411
Is anyone else underwhelmed by the volume dial on the SP1000? I absolutely love everything about this DAP (the sounds is amazing), but the dial is really a weak point IMO. It's loose, it has no resistance, and it's actually really hard to use when the DAP is flat on a table.

I find it is intuitive and easy to use especially when it is on a flat surface. Just roll the finger on it. Nice under the pillow as well. Mine has resistance.

Jan 25, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #5,137 of 9,411

Mine is okay.
If a bad experience with button of AK's, I can tell the volume on AK120ii is too bad, it loose and not precision.
Btw compare spk volume button to a bigger one is not so fair.
Do you compare volume on WA8 to Darkvoice 336 to see how it good? It is just fraction price tag compare wa8

Jan 25, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #5,138 of 9,411
Mine is okay.
If a bad experience with button of AK's, I can tell the volume on AK120ii is too bad, it loose and not precision.
Btw compare spk volume button to a bigger one is not so fair.
Do you compare volume on WA8 to Darkvoice 336 to see how it good? It is just fraction price tag compare wa8

Fair point re:size comparison. Mainly, I don't like the poor tolerances on it. It shouldn't wobble/feel kind of loose. Is it that way for everyone?

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #5,139 of 9,411
Fair point re:size comparison. Mainly, I don't like the poor tolerances on it. It shouldn't wobble/feel kind of loose. Is it that way for everyone?

From my understanding the volume wheel is a gimble type design. It is that way to allow it to function as a button as well and not fail quickly. I had similar thoughts in this regard as well at first but really like the design now.

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #5,140 of 9,411
It's funny that I prefer the form factor of the SP1000M, although it has to be said this is on paper - it just looks too big for me when I'm travelling.

I have the SP1000M and IMO the form factor is perfect for traveling. It slips in my work pants pocket with no issues. To give you an idea of its size. It’s significantly shorter than an IPhone X, but about the same width. It is probably a little shy than twice as thick. And all of this is when it’s in the leather case because who wouldn’t put it in a case when traveling?

Hope that gives you an idea.

Jan 25, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #5,141 of 9,411
It will not tigh as fix volume type. It is volume with button function.
I found my kse1500 amp has a lose volume knob - button also.
The importance is precision work than mechanical tolerance.
My shaling m2s has "tight" volume wheel but it work imprecision

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #5,142 of 9,411
I've owned the SE100 before the SP1000M and liked both designs for different reasons. I like the size of the SE100, easy to read and type, however it was difficult to navigate one handed whereas the SP1000M is much easier. The floating back button did help a little for the SE100 though.

Downside for the SE100 was the volume control wheel being difficult to turn while the player is sitting on a flat surface.

One problem I have with both players are the play/pause/skip buttons being hard to use blindly and almost impossible with the case on.

With all that being said, they are both gorgeous players and have a very premium feel in the hand.

Jan 26, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #5,143 of 9,411
The volume button is built to "wobble" on purpose so you don't break it off. The SP is a portable device, and in that regard the volume wheel works perfectly, as do the side buttons. I walk with mine covered in a Dignis case within a VanNuys belt case and have absolutely no issues using volume and side buttons without being able to see them. I just reach down and use them by feel. Never tried it on a desk, but I have used it laying on a couch with no problems. The nice thing about AK is they build devices with great GUI and form factor/controls. I've had a 120ll, a 240SS and now the SP SS and all have been superb to use.

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #5,145 of 9,411
The volume button is built to "wobble" on purpose so you don't break it off. The SP is a portable device, and in that regard the volume wheel works perfectly, as do the side buttons. I walk with mine covered in a Dignis case within a VanNuys belt case and have absolutely no issues using volume and side buttons without being able to see them. I just reach down and use them by feel. Never tried it on a desk, but I have used it laying on a couch with no problems. The nice thing about AK is they build devices with great GUI and form factor/controls. I've had a 120ll, a 240SS and now the SP SS and all have been superb to use.

Excellent point about not breaking, and also that this is a function button as well. I've not owned a DAP before, so I'll retract my complaint about the volume button. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back