New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jan 31, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #5,161 of 9,409
Interesting. When I open up my favorites, only 10 favorites are displayed which i have saved 11 months ago... will give it another try in the course of today and will report. Could also be an issue with my account though...

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #5,163 of 9,409
Roon looks intriguing, but still don't know much about it to be honest. When A&K release it will it be able to run solely on SP1000m or will it function as a remote which needs software running on PC?

Roon is excellent. It has completely redefined how I listen to music with a PC. You can get a free trial for 14 days. Give it a go.

You won't be able to run Roon Core on the SPK, it's not made for that.

My bet is, that the AK will be available as a Roon Ready device. This then makes it discoverable in the Roon UI (Remote). The SPK will be used as an endpoint (output) then. Since AK is running through the certification process with Roon this is definitely happening.

What I'm not sure about is, is if the AK will run Remote then too. Would make sense to me, as otherwise you'd need a second device (Remote) to play music with Roon through the AK and that would be a bit cumbersome and unsexy to use.

You will always need at least one more device to use Roon with the AK - a Core (PC or Server).

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #5,164 of 9,409
Roon is excellent. It has completely redefined how I listen to music with a PC. You can get a free trial for 14 days. Give it a go.

You won't be able to run Roon Core on the SPK, it's not made for that.

My bet is, that the AK will be available as a Roon Ready device. This then makes it discoverable in the Roon UI (Remote). The SPK will be used as an endpoint (output) then. Since AK is running through the certification process with Roon this is definitely happening.

What I'm not sure about is, is if the AK will run Remote then too. Would make sense to me, as otherwise you'd need a second device (Remote) to play music with Roon through the AK and that would be a bit cumbersome and unsexy to use.

You will always need at least one more device to use Roon with the AK - a Core (PC or Server).

Hi,
I recently bought a SP1000M and I have been looking into Roon, but I have a question that I have not been able to solve. I have my music library in a NAS and a copy of it in my A&K that I manually update each time I add a record to the library in the NAS. Does Roon help in any way in synching the library from the 'core location' to my A&K? I would love that Roon be able to help me synch the main library to a secondary location, in this case my portable player.
Thanks

Jan 31, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #5,165 of 9,409
Hi,
I recently bought a SP1000M and I have been looking into Roon, but I have a question that I have not been able to solve. I have my music library in a NAS and a copy of it in my A&K that I manually update each time I add a record to the library in the NAS. Does Roon help in any way in synching the library from the 'core location' to my A&K? I would love that Roon be able to help me synch the main library to a secondary location, in this case my portable player.
Thanks

Interesting question. I've never used more than one library and database. I guess this is also something new coming up with a Roon Ready portable player with its own storage. Will check that when Roon is available on the AK. Or maybe @JasonNYC can shine a light on this...?

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #5,167 of 9,409
I have no major issues with qobuz. The only one would be that the police is to pale in search mode. But the app is a way more responsive that on my iBasso dx200

I just tried 5.1.5 again: only 26 of my 735 favorites are displayed. 5.1.5 runs overall smooth compared to 5.1.4 but no favorites... seems to be a bug in connection with my account... poor...

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #5,168 of 9,409
Forget about sp 1000 amp/sp1000m. Get Mass Kobo 424/428. This will add a new dimension to sp 1000. This japanese custom made amp has left me startled. Its like i am listening to a new player with a beefy amp. The 3.5mm grounding connection has improved the SQ to a great extent. I have set line out to 1.25v on sp1k. It has adjustable output gain-changing switch for dynamic/planar hp & highly sensitive BA. Drives my lcd i4 with authority. The dynamics & transparency are insane with pitch black background and fast transients. Throw any type of music at it. It excels in all departments imho. Just completed 7 hour long session. Mind Blowing !
The custom cable is made of 10 silver OFC wires; 8 for balanced(2.5mm) & 2 for earth(3.5mm) to pentaconn(4.4mm) connector. Running on 4 Panasonic Eneloop Pro rechargeable batteries (Japan Import).
Highly recommended. Best portable solution imho.
Thank you @Zhanming057.

SP 1K CU + Mass Kobo 424 + Double Helix Cables ultrashort adapter male XLR to 2.5mm + Audeze Lcd i4 (balanced EA Horus). Output set to 0.7v in this pic. At 1.25v the volume pot remains from 7-8 o'clock.

Adjustable output gain-changing switch

<Specifications> (Batt. 6V or USB 5V)

Model: Full-Balanced Portable Stereo headphone amplifier
Input: φ4.4 TRRS x 1 (balanced or unbalanced)
Output: model424 XLR-4Pin model428 4.4 TRRS (balanced) , φ3.5 TRS (unbalanced)
Maximum Input Level: +16dBm (balanced), +10dBm (unbalanced)
Maximum Output Level (P-P): 7 V (balanced), 3.5V (unbalanced) (with 32Ω loaded, 1kHz, THD+N 0.5%)
           (RMS): 2.3V (balanced) , 1.2 V (unbalanced) (with 32Ω loaded, 1kHz, THD+N 0.5%)
Maximum Output without Distortion: 165mW (balanced), 45mW (unbalanced) (with 32Ω load, 1kHz, THD+N 0.5%)
Frequency Characteristics: 20Hz - 20kHz (-1dB)
Noise Level: Less than 40μV (in the minimum volume position, 32Ω loaded) Less than 150μV (in the maximum volume position, 32Ω loaded)
Power Supply: AA Alkaline or rechargeable battery x 4
External Power Supply: Micro USB +5v
Consumption Current: 0.19A (battery 6V, No signal) 0.21A (rechargeable battery, 4.8V No signal) 0.21A (USB 5V, No signal)
           0.28A (battery 6V, 1/8 Output) 0.32 A(rechargeable battery, 4.8V, 1/8 output) 0.31A(USB 5V, 1/8 Output)
           0.49A (battery 6V, Maximum Output) 0.61A (rechargeable battery), 4.8V, Maximum Output) 0.58A (USB 5V, Maximum Output)
Size: 97mmW x 132mmD x 40mmH (not include protrusions)
Weight: model424 445g (with batteries), 387g (without batteries)
    model428 440g (with batteries), 382g (without batteries)

What do you call this hybrid cable? where can i get it?

regards

Jan 31, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #5,169 of 9,409
I've owned the SE100 before the SP1000M and liked both designs for different reasons. I like the size of the SE100, easy to read and type, however it was difficult to navigate one handed whereas the SP1000M is much easier. The floating back button did help a little for the SE100 though.

Downside for the SE100 was the volume control wheel being difficult to turn while the player is sitting on a flat surface.

One problem I have with both players are the play/pause/skip buttons being hard to use blindly and almost impossible with the case on.

With all that being said, they are both gorgeous players and have a very premium feel in the hand.

Hi i see that you upgraded from the SE100 to the SP1000M’s. I am currently using Campfire andromeda’s with the SE100’s now. Loving the sound with this combo but im just curious if there is a big difference with SP1000M’s?

Jan 31, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #5,170 of 9,409
I switched out the stock cable for an ALO Reference 8 set using the balanced output. I find this to be much more transparent and detailed on both my SP100M and my Ibasso DX200. It’s no contest. I tried the stock cables last night, and switched back within a minute. I don’t perceive background noise with either cable, but it’s like a veil is lifted using the 2.5mm output.

Hi how is the bass and treble on the balanced output? Are you getting the same amount of bass from the unbalanced output? Any sibilance on the treble? I want to try the reference 8 cable on the andros on my se100 as well. Any hiss?

Jan 31, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #5,171 of 9,409
Hi how is the bass and treble on the balanced output? Are you getting the same amount of bass from the unbalanced output? Any sibilance on the treble? I want to try the reference 8 cable on the andros on my se100 as well. Any hiss?

I’ll try to spend some time with the stock cables. I can’t recall the bass quality with them. I detect no sibilance. There is a marked increase in transparency, allowing more detail to be heard. This is mostly a plus. If there is some hiss in the original recording, it is more likely to come through with the Reference 8 cable. That occurs on very few of my recordings, and I don’t find it problematic. Ymmv, of course.

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #5,172 of 9,409
Hi i see that you upgraded from the SE100 to the SP1000M’s. I am currently using Campfire andromeda’s with the SE100’s now. Loving the sound with this combo but im just curious if there is a big difference with SP1000M’s?

If you're really enjoying the sound of the SE100 I'd stick with that. The reason I upgraded was due to having multiple defective SE100s and the dealership offering me an offer I couldn't refuse to upgrade to the SP1000M. I'd say the subtle changes in sound signature (SP1000M gives the Andros a tiny bit more meat on the bones) are greater than the increase in quality of the sound.

If I were you and had to pay full price to upgrade, I'd tell myself to close this thread and just enjoy my music on the SE100.

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #5,173 of 9,409
Hello guys,

Thanks in part to reading some of your impressions and input, I just upgraded to sp1000m... waiting for it... coming from other grade solutions, lately from wm1a.

I work with a Mac. Aside for the android transfer, any useful heads up advice/info before I receive it?

Thanks a mil!

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #5,174 of 9,409
Hello guys,

Thanks in part to reading some of your impressions and input, I just upgraded to sp1000m... waiting for it... coming from other grade solutions, lately from wm1a.

I work with a Mac. Aside for the android transfer, any useful heads up advice/info before I receive it?

Thanks a mil!
Congratulations!
Try Commander One, this app is more robust than the android file transfer.

Feb 1, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #5,175 of 9,409
Congratulations!
Try Commander One, this app is more robust than the android file transfer.

Actually can't wait!...

I'll be tinkering with it as soon as I receive it (I'm actually taking a day to work at home to receive it and playa little... )
So I'll be posting questions, I'm sure...

Thanks for the advice, already downloaded and waiting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back