New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Sep 22, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #3,872 of 9,409
I know we are a bit off topic discussing this in SPK thread, but just an additional thought on this subject, especially your last comment. I know quite a few people who started with either 64 Audio or Empire Ears universals, due to fear of custom commitment, and then fell in love with the sound so much - they sold UIEM to get the same CIEM :)

Sure happens, especially since 64 Audio still has transfer and reshell that's a good move

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #3,873 of 9,409
I am not sure if I can all agree with ciem being better. I had a18 before and now u18. I couldn't be happier in all aspect including sound.

why ? can you explain ? was the custom UNConfortable ? bad fit may be ?

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #3,874 of 9,409
I wonder if the SP1000M would drive Abyss Diana single ended or needs the balanced output (and thus an extra new cable for me)

It did not try them together but I am quite sure that SP1000 (and SP1000M) will not drive Abyss Diana well single ended. Probably it will not even play loud enough. I also doubt that the balanced output has enough power to drive Diana well, with enough headroom. I also take the liberty to add, that there are better and easier to drive headphones than Diana, much better suited for being used in combination with the best DAP around, the SP1000.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #3,876 of 9,409
why ? can you explain ? was the custom UNConfortable ? bad fit may be ?

I had custom since JH days and didn't think I had a fit issue but never felt comfortable putting ciem in/out either. I really didn't feel much difference
in sound so not why just uiem. Not just with iem but with the daps, amps cables, etc the differences we get from putting all this effort and spending
more $$$ are very subtle, yet we are willing to do it for that short lived high...

Sep 22, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #3,877 of 9,409
It did not try them together but I am quite sure that SP1000 (and SP1000M) will not drive Abyss Diana well single ended. Probably it will not even play loud enough. I also doubt that the balanced output has enough power to drive Diana well, with enough headroom. I also take the liberty to add, that there are better and easier to drive headphones than Diana, much better suited for being used in combination with the best DAP around, the SP1000.
My AK120 can drive the Diana loud enough (obviously single ended) at a volume level 70 when my iSine 10s need 63 to get the approximately same loudness. I get better sound (and more headroom) hooking up my Mojo (but that applies to any headphone I own).

Sep 22, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #3,878 of 9,409
My AK120 can drive the Diana loud enough (obviously single ended) at a volume level 70 when my iSine 10s need 63 to get the approximately same loudness. I get better sound (and more headroom) hooking up my Mojo (but that applies to any headphone I own).

Really? Thanks for the clarification. It seems that I am listening much too loud. I would still say that one should definitely drive the Diana balanced on SP1000, which is valid form any planar headphone that I ever tried.

Sep 23, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #3,880 of 9,409
Hi, I'm living in Europe and I'm looking to buy a nice cable to put my SP1000 (balanced) to my stereo pre amp. BUT I cannot find one.
Does someone know what/whick cable I need and where I can buy it (if possible in The Netherlands).
Already thanks.

Sep 23, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #3,881 of 9,409
Hi, I'm living in Europe and I'm looking to buy a nice cable to put my SP1000 (balanced) to my stereo pre amp. BUT I cannot find one.
Does someone know what/whick cable I need and where I can buy it (if possible in The Netherlands).
Already thanks.

I sent you a PM

Well, to have a real balanced signal, you need the following cable: PERF 21. it plug into the 2 connectors since it get the signal from the 2,5MM and the ground from the 3,5mm. It is quite expensive but very high quality. And it come in a nice wooden box...

I bought one in the past when I was using my SP as my source for my BHSE electrostatic AMP. Now that I have a home music server (Auralic Aries), I do not need it anymore. Let me know if you are interested (see picture that I took of my cable).

Sep 23, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #3,882 of 9,409
Hey all. I'm able to share some more updates with you.

The SP1000M will be shown at the China AV show tomorrow (Friday) if anyone is attending, you will be able to test the new firmware for yourself.

• Offline modes are supported on apps installed via APK including Tidal, Amazon Music and Spotify here in the US. You can choose where to save offline files - internal memory or microSD card
  • There are a number of other music services around the world that we've been testing with also. Full list will be available soon.
  • No Apple Music Support. We will go into more details about this soon, I already mentioned the issue in a previous post
  • New firmware will be available in October for SP1000 and SE100 - target date October 10th, but that may change
  • SP1000M on sale October
  • OpenAPK will not be supported on AK300 Series, AK240, AK70 and AK70 MK II. KANN TBD
SP1000M, SP1000 and SE100 with new firmware will be shown at RMAF for those attending next month. We will be exhibiting in the CanJam @RMAF area.

More info may come out of our HQ in Korea later today. If it does, I will share in the morning here in the US.

Jason
Jason,
sorry for this trivial question .... but I did not understand what will change with the new upgrade.
I already see and use TIDAL on my SP1000. Will it only change the possibility of using high quality audio, have TIDAL music off-line
and MQA? ... or what else?
Thanks

Sep 23, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #3,883 of 9,409
Already thanks.

I got mine from Moon Audio in the US. They have two different version, one is $125 and one is $175. They will also customize if you need different connectors or length. https://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-portable-interconnect-v3.html
silver-dragon-portable-interconnect-v3-ak-pee11-balanced-connector-50.jpg

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #3,884 of 9,409
Jason,
sorry for this trivial question .... but I did not understand what will change with the new upgrade.
I already see and use TIDAL on my SP1000. Will it only change the possibility of using high quality audio, have TIDAL music off-line
and MQA? ... or what else?
Thanks
@Mr.Max. The embedded Tidal app does not have offline mode. If you install the Tidal Android app via OpenAPK, you will get offline capabilities, video and any other features that are only available on the smartphone version of Tidal app.

Since we currently do not support MQA, Tidal Masters will not be available on either the embedded app or the one installed via the OpenAPK service.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 23, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #3,885 of 9,409
@Mr.Max. The embedded Tidal app does not have offline mode. If you install the Tidal Android app via OpenAPK, you will get offline capabilities, video and any other features that are only available on the smartphone version of Tidal app.

Since we currently do not support MQA, Tidal Masters will not be available on either the embedded app or the one installed via the OpenAPK service.
OK. Thanks a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back