New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Sep 21, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #1,621 of 9,409
Just placed order following the very detailed instructions, thanks! Total came a little under $60 for the case that's priced at 5,200 yen, shipping is not charged yet. Fingers crossed.

Ordered item shipped out to me today from their Japanese warehouse. Total is $81 = price + shipping. So it took a week for them to purchase it and receive the item domestically. Hopefully, I'll have my pouch early next week.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #1,622 of 9,409
Another recommendation I would make if anyone is interested in an external amp for home or office use is the Rupert Neve RNHP.
With Utopia and balanced input
IMG_20170922_121208.jpg

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #1,626 of 9,409
Sep 23, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #1,627 of 9,409
Finally got a chance to use the SP1000 with my UERMs and wow, great transparent sound. Instrument and vocal placement is really distinct, clarity and detail are top-notch and I love the extended upper end and bass. Really an upgrade from the 240SS, and money well-spent. :gs1000smile:

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #1,628 of 9,409
That's one of the things I'm wrestling with, in terms of whether to buy the SP1000. If it's not all that portable, then why not get the Hugo 2, which is cheaper? I know the SP1000 is heavy, but can you still walk around with it in your jeans pockets, or does the weight make it too uncomfortable for that? I don't necessarily mind having some weight in my pocket, but am wondering how much of an annoyance it is.
The SP1000 is really huge for a portable DAP, and you'll definitely struggle to get it to fit your pockets. Plus, it is heavy. However, contrasting the SP1000 with the Hugo 2 is a bad comparison; the Hugo 2 isn't a DAP, and requires the presence of a source to function.

I too, wrestled with this choice a couple of months ago. In the end, I chose to buy the SP1000 as it was a lot more usable from a portable perspective. Most of my listening is done on-the-go, especially during my commutes to and from work (at least 1 1/2 hours each way). In this use-case scenario, the SP1000 offered some compelling advantages over the Hugo 2.

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #1,629 of 9,409
For a perfect balance between portability and sound quality, I still love my AK240. Sure, the AK380Cu and SP1000Cu are more epic in sound, but if you just happen to want to slip a small brick into your pockets without breaking your trousers there is no better choice than the AK240. I think AK240 is still the best sounding DAP which is actually portable. By my definition it means being able to put it in one of my pockets on my clothes or trousers without having to bring a bag. I know AK has some new DAPs that are also very portable but I don't think those can match AK240 in sound - not even close.

I am posting this because I just got my AK240 fixed and I listened to it for a while just to test it out. I actually A/B-ed it side by side with my SP1000Cu. For vocal and pop, not bad at all, although the SP1000Cu leads clearly in the dynamics and separation departments.
I'm a little sad that I sold my AK240 a few months back. It was truly a portable powerhouse. Sure, it won't touch the AK380 or the SP1000 in sheer sound quality, but it gets you close in a small, convenient package.

Plus, the AK240 looks the classiest of the 3, IMO.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #1,630 of 9,409
The 240 looks like a spaceship compared to the 380 and the SP1000. And it certainly is the smallest of the three. As for portability, I use a carrying pouch (and did for the 240SS as well, as when I carried it in my shirt pocket it really pulled that side of the shirt down), and don't feel that I've lost any convenience of use. Taking it out and putting it back just requires a bit of concentration and being sure to have a good grasp with a finger on the bottom for support. Yep, big and heavy but the trade-off is the sound. I never liked carrying in a pants pocket due to the risk to the IEM connector (whether straight or L). That said, this is the biggest/heaviest I would go for a portable unit. Any more and it really wouldn't be feasible. But did I mention the sound?

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #1,631 of 9,409
But did I mention the sound?
I'm sure you did, my friend! :joy:

But yes, the AK240 walked a fine line between premium looks, portable size, and top class sound. Even after getting the AK380, I still preferred the AK240's design, which has a more classy and futuristic touch.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,633 of 9,409
1) Does anyone here have or had AK240 BlueNote edition? It's currently on sale for $2000 and I'm wondering whether it does sound like a normal AK240 or better (as SS and Cu versions typically do).

2) Did anyone compare AK380SS to Cu? SS was a game changer for me, two levels above the normal AK380, I did never hear Cu though. Maybe also someone did compare them to SP1000?

3) Some time ago I asked you guys where to buy SP1000. You did respond with several links, however what I've found is that you all preferred to buy it in full price. Yes, my embedded question inside question was how to get a discount :) As this is a common practice at least in my country. I wonder... maybe it is not in other countries.

Cheers

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #1,634 of 9,409
I've never seen it discounted. AK's get discounted when new versions are released, but seemingly not before.

The Bluenote is a "regular" 240 with a bunch of music preloaded on it.

The 240 SS sounded different than the stock 240. I've never seen a review of a 380 SS. The SP1000 SS sounds superb to me.

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #1,635 of 9,409
1)
3) Some time ago I asked you guys where to buy SP1000. You did respond with several links, however what I've found is that you all preferred to buy it in full price. Yes, my embedded question inside question was how to get a discount :) As this is a common practice at least in my country. I wonder... maybe it is not in other countries.

Cheers
As far as I know, there is no discounted pricing on the SP1000 currently. There are a few country-specific promos running that may include free accessories, etc., but no discounted price on the SP1000.

Please be very careful that you purchase from an authorized Astell&Kern dealer. In the past, we've seen fake or used units being sold as new with discounts from non-authorized companies. Per the warranty terms, Astell&Kern will not honor the warranty for any product purchased from a non-authorized dealer. You can find a list of authorized dealers on our website at https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/content/whereToBuy/list.asp

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back