New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Sep 19, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #1,591 of 9,411
I would order the Large just to get some top clearance. Up to you, though. Oh, and I measured it with the stock case Is the custom case you want thicker? That might change things re width.
I don't know about the case, I'll have to check with Dignis. The Large pouch seems really large to me, I'm afraid the SP1000 will tumble around.. as I just want the pouch for transportation.

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #1,592 of 9,411
I'm pretty sure I read in an AK handout that DSD is not affected by the built-in EQ. Everything else is, although you are correct that there is very little audible difference when using it. Personally, I leave it off.

I don't own sp1000 but heard that dsd processing is bit by bit, no EQ or other dsp process can do. Studios also must do EQ if need, in Pcm stage then pack it in dsd finally.

Btw, asking again here after once in Hugo2 thread (may help avoid bias mind :D )... Hugo2 or sp1000 will pair better with Sen's hdvd800 amp? Im finding a balance selection between two for sq v.s pack size (movable). For me, hugo2 cant for outgoing but sp1000 is nearly the same.....just bcs of inear is kse1500, damn it stick with a solid brick like big amp. Hugo2 said better in detail and depth, but no bal. out as sp1000.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #1,593 of 9,411
The dignis blue one is very nice !!!
My dignis leather case is now getting dirty and. I don't know how to clean it.
can someone advice me on this ?
That's about the only thing that has stopped me from hitting the "Buy" button on Dignis' website, to be honest. That suede-like material will eventually get dirty from oil stains and the like.

How long have you had your Alcantara, and how often do you use your SP1000? If I remember correctly, you bought your unit in July, right?

I might get the Alcantara blue, but I'm just a little wary of its ability to stand the test of time.

I honestly rather spend 300 bucks on a great cable than a case. No way am I spending anything over 99 dollars for a leather case when the case is more expensive than my Fiio X1. And I don't care if that leather is gonna last me 50 years.
Heh. The DAP won't last 50 years either! :joy:

I kid, I kid.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #1,594 of 9,411
What's funny is, my $120 Dignis case for LPG is showing severe signs of usage and wear within 7 months, despite taking such good care. But my $20 Dignis case for Fiio X3ii stayed unbelievably new for almost 2 years, even without too much care. It is with a new owner now and I sure it is still doing pretty good. It seems quite hard to predict how their case would turn out in the long run.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #1,595 of 9,411
Heh. The DAP won't last 50 years either! :joy:

I kid, I kid.

Well, I doubt any DAP can last that long without breaking down or something. o3o

But this is about the leather case itself so....yeah....still not gonna buy it even if it can last half a century of wear and tear.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #1,596 of 9,411
IMO the original leather case is much better than Dignis. The original leather case is much more elegant and classy. I haven't seen the $300 one yet but am curious.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #1,597 of 9,411
IMO the original leather case is much better than Dignis. The original leather case is much more elegant and classy. I haven't seen the $300 one yet but am curious.
Agreed. I'm seriously thinking about the green one.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #1,600 of 9,411
Sep 19, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #1,602 of 9,411
Finally supports SACD ripping?
I don’t know. That would be wonderful if it does.
I was waiting for AK Ripper becoming available as it was long sold out.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #1,603 of 9,411
Lot of money for a ripper. I use a BD/DVD/CD drive/burner with XLD freeware (for Mac) that costs a under a hundred bucks and gives perfect results. There are plenty of software options for Windows as well. Of course you have to actually move the files from your desktop to the AK through a USB cord, but for three hundred bucks that doesn't seem all that difficult. :darthsmile:

As for the IEMs, those are basically entry level. Most TOTL IEMs start at $1000 and shoot on up to the stratosphere. The SP1000 has a ton of detail, incredible frequency range, great soundstage and a lot of musicality. Inexpensive IEMs may not be able to deliver that quality to your ears. You paid $3500 for the AK, getting cheaper IEMs may defeat the purpose of the device. Of course, if you want to see if IEMs feel good in your ears, then you could buy them, use them for a while and if you decide you like things inside your ear sell them here and buy something better.

Or you could forgo the ripper and put that money and a bit more into your IEM money and buy something a lot better. There are plenty of $1k IEMs you could get that would showcase the AK and keep you happy without having to buy and sell your way up the ladder. I'd suggest reading up on IEMs and asking on this thread what people are using. Also look at their signatures, often you can see what folks are using that way. Everyone has a different favorite sound signature, so reading up could be helpful and save you time and money. Twister has a lot of good IEM reviews, he would be a good place to start.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #1,604 of 9,411
"Just as the AK Ripper was able to rip CDs to an AK player with a single touch, the AK Ripper MKII has been redesigned and improved for the ultimate ripping experience."

Nothing about SACD in that sentence and isn't that a Sony proprietary format? The only way I know of to rip them is by using a PS3 or an Oppo 103/105 and some hacking tools to get around the encryption. This release reads as a way to rip CDs more easily to your AK. I'm not sure why anyone would consider this a SACD ripper.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #1,605 of 9,411
For a perfect balance between portability and sound quality, I still love my AK240. Sure, the AK380Cu and SP1000Cu are more epic in sound, but if you just happen to want to slip a small brick into your pockets without breaking your trousers there is no better choice than the AK240. I think AK240 is still the best sounding DAP which is actually portable. By my definition it means being able to put it in one of my pockets on my clothes or trousers without having to bring a bag. I know AK has some new DAPs that are also very portable but I don't think those can match AK240 in sound - not even close.

I am posting this because I just got my AK240 fixed and I listened to it for a while just to test it out. I actually A/B-ed it side by side with my SP1000Cu. For vocal and pop, not bad at all, although the SP1000Cu leads clearly in the dynamics and separation departments.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back