New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Sep 20, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,606 of 9,409
I replaced my 240 SS with the SP1000 SS and it's really quite a bit better to my ears. I still love the 240 SS but there's a clear difference. But you're right about size. I could carry the 240 SS in a shirt or t-shirt pocket, but there's no way the SP can be used that way. The 240 SS is pretty heavy though, just quite a bit shorter. I began using a pouch on my belt because the 240 SS was stretching out my pockets. So nothing really changed when I moved up to the SP.

I'm debating whether to sell the 240 SS, I'm not using it but it's still a great-sounding work of art. Hard to let go of it.

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #1,607 of 9,409
Inexpensive IEMs may not be able to deliver that quality to your ears. You paid $3500 for the AK, getting cheaper IEMs may defeat the purpose of the device. Of course, if you want to see if IEMs feel good in your ears, then you could buy them, use them for a while and if you decide you like things inside your ear sell them here and buy something better.
Thank you for your advice. I realized that I was not clear when I said “IEMs”. I meant IEMs with BA drivers. I do have a dynamic driver IEM (AK T8iE). So I know how they feel in my ear. But I don’t know how BAs sound in general.
Do you think the Michelle Limited would be good enough to get a general idea how BAs sound/behave? Or should I just go to Rosie or better?

I'd suggest reading up on IEMs and asking on this thread what people are using. Also look at their signatures, often you can see what folks are using that way. Everyone has a different favorite sound signature, so reading up could be helpful and save you time and money. Twister has a lot of good IEM reviews, he would be a good place to start.
Again thank you for your advice.

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #1,608 of 9,409
Try Westone W80 or Shure SE846 first. Also Kaiser 10 Universal from Noble Audio. These are pretty good pre-cursors before you can properly evaluate the JH products. Not that JH stuff are bad or anything but they do have a certain character that you may only appreciate when you have listened to other TOTL products from other brands.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #1,609 of 9,409
Try Westone W80 or Shure SE846 first. Also Kaiser 10 Universal from Noble Audio. These are pretty good pre-cursors before you can properly evaluate the JH products. Not that JH stuff are bad or anything but they do have a certain character that you may only appreciate when you have listened to other TOTL products from other brands.
Thank you for your advice!!

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #1,610 of 9,409
If you like a fair amount of upper end, you might stay away for the 846. It's a bit weak up there. The JH Angie pairs well with the SP, and it comes in a universal. About the same price as the 846 and to my ears a better IEM.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #1,612 of 9,409
For a perfect balance between portability and sound quality, I still love my AK240. Sure, the AK380Cu and SP1000Cu are more epic in sound, but if you just happen to want to slip a small brick into your pockets without breaking your trousers there is no better choice than the AK240.

That's one of the things I'm wrestling with, in terms of whether to buy the SP1000. If it's not all that portable, then why not get the Hugo 2, which is cheaper? I know the SP1000 is heavy, but can you still walk around with it in your jeans pockets, or does the weight make it too uncomfortable for that? I don't necessarily mind having some weight in my pocket, but am wondering how much of an annoyance it is.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #1,613 of 9,409
Same size as an iPhone 7+, just a bit thicker and heavier. No reason you can't use it in a pocket that can hold the iPhone. I prefer a pouch because of my fear of messing up my IEM connector/wires when it's in my pocket. That goes back two or three DAPs, though. I walk with it daily.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #1,614 of 9,409
That's one of the things I'm wrestling with, in terms of whether to buy the SP1000. If it's not all that portable, then why not get the Hugo 2, which is cheaper? I know the SP1000 is heavy, but can you still walk around with it in your jeans pockets, or does the weight make it too uncomfortable for that? I don't necessarily mind having some weight in my pocket, but am wondering how much of an annoyance it is.
I carry my SP1000Cu in my trousers pocket during my long commute (NJ->NYC, 1.5 hours one way). The weight doesn't bother me. I can control the volume and play/pause in the pocket without any problem. One time when I had to run to catch a bus, the volume went up probably due to friction with the cloth in the pocket. L-shape connector is a must if you want to carry it in a pocket, though.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #1,615 of 9,409
Thank you for your advice. I realized that I was not clear when I said “IEMs”. I meant IEMs with BA drivers. I do have a dynamic driver IEM (AK T8iE). So I know how they feel in my ear. But I don’t know how BAs sound in general.
Do you think the Michelle Limited would be good enough to get a general idea how BAs sound/behave? Or should I just go to Rosie or better?
Again thank you for your advice.
Michelle 1st gen has generally bad reviews. I doubt it can extract more details than T8iE.
Don't buy ANY 500+$ IEM without demo-ing it first, because from this price range, most IEMs are generally "very good", it is just that they have different tunings that you may or may not like, hence the need to demo first.

And please don't take some people's comment above too seriously, AK T8iE is a VERY good IEM, one of the best all-rounder for people after warm-ish signature. Sure, 8+ BA IEMS may extract more details, but you may or may not like the tuning. Rosie are nice but definitely much flatter than T8iE. You'd have to try Angies to find back the nice bass and treble of T8iE, with more details in mids/treble.

Implying that one would need a 1500+$ pair of IEMs to enjoy a TOTL DAP is at best nonsense, at worst audiophile elitism, especially when you already own a 800+$ pair.

There are "better" IEM models IF and only IF you are looking for more detail extraction, or are not satisfied with the warm tuning of the T8iE.
Otherwise you should enjoy the SP1000 + AK T8iE pairing because it is fun and has nice punchy bass. At least I did when demo-ing the SP1000. :wink:

Note: T8IE is not dynamic driver-based, it has a Tesla driver. :D

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #1,616 of 9,409
Michelle Limited has generally bad reviews. :D
Michelle Limited was just announced today and is not available yet. The 1st generation Michelle was released a year ago. The Michelle Limited is the 2nd generation product that will be released next month.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 20, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #1,618 of 9,409
Well, I doubt any DAP can last that long without breaking down or something. o3o

But this is about the leather case itself so....yeah....still not gonna buy it even if it can last half a century of wear and tear.
IMO the only music player that can last 50 years or even more if treated right is the Tera Player. Battery will have to be replaced obviously at some point, but it's 700 Mha battery will last way longer than in any other device.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #1,619 of 9,409
Michelle Limited has generally bad reviews. I doubt it can extract more details than T8iE.
Don't buy ANY 500+$ IEM without demo-ing it first, because from this price range, most IEMs are generally "very good", it is just that they have different tunings that you may or may not like, hence the need to demo first.

And please don't take some people's comment above too seriously, AK T8iE is a VERY good IEM, one of the best all-rounder for people after warm-ish signature. Sure, 8+ BA IEMS may extract more details, but you may or may not like the tuning. Rosie are nice but definitely much flatter than T8iE. You'd have to try Angies to find back the nice bass and treble of T8iE, with more details in mids/treble.

Implying that one would need a 1500+$ pair of IEMs to enjoy a TOTL DAP is at best nonsense, at worst audiophile elitism, especially when you already own a 800+$ pair.

There are "better" IEM models IF and only IF you are looking for more detail extraction, or are not satisfied with the warm tuning of the T8iE.
Otherwise you should enjoy the SP1000 + AK T8iE pairing because it is fun and has nice punchy bass. At least I did when demo-ing the SP1000. :wink:

Note: T8IE is not dynamic driver-based, it has a Tesla driver. :D
Thank you for your advice. I will look for a place where I can demo various BA IEMs.
And I agree that AK T8iE is a great all-rounder. But depending on my mood, I like spicier sound that Ultrasone cans provide.
BTW, I thought Tesla driver is a kind of dynamic driver. What is the difference other than the stronger magnet in Tesla?

Sep 20, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #1,620 of 9,409
IMO the only music player that can last 50 years or even more if treated right is the Tera Player. Battery will have to be replaced obviously at some point, but it's 700 Mha battery will last way longer than in any other device.

The WAV-only player? Well too bad that thing's not available in my country anywhere, but I have heard some good things about it before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back