New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Aug 23, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #7,021 of 9,409
Hey guys. Has anyone had any experience with the HiFiman HE1000se and the SP1000 without an amp? Would the sp1k be able to pull that off in balanced mode, or is it just not powerful enough?

53F56843-0BF8-48DB-B47B-908E44C437E2.jpeg

The HKSE has plenty of volume connected to an SP1000 in balanced mode, and sounstage and transparency are marvelous, despite this facts, the highs are somewhat to hot and the low end a bit thin sounding, with a desktop amplifier this is not an issue...
So maybe a bit more power is neccesary to a better match, maybe the SP1000 amp achieves a better match, but i can’t try it untill late September

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #7,022 of 9,409
Thanks for the responses.

I think the Susvara (83dB/mW) has a much lower sensitivity than the HEkse (96 dB/mW). That might explain why the SP1K is not able to perform with it without an additional AMP.

However, I have contemplated the Meze Empyrean, too. From my research, at least from the reviews such as heafonia etc., the SP1000 was rated as pretty good with it. Here's a snippet from the review:

With the Empyrean, in single ended mode, you get a very fast, precise, extended and clean sound. It’s the typical SP1000 character with a balanced, wide presentation and a neutral tuning with excellent extension. The SP1000 is very technical and the Empyrean will make you hear that. It’s a nice combo actually.

Even in this thread, the balanced output of the SP1k has been regarded very potent.
That was giving me hope for both the Empyrean (100 dB/mW) and the HEkse (96 dB/mW).
I know those numbers aren't the full story, that's why I was asking.

I would like to have a home setup in addition to my SP1kCu/ VE8 CIEM combination. Something that's plug and play without an additional AMP.

My current contenders are:
  • Hifiman Edition X V2
  • Hifiman HE1000Se
  • Meze Empyrean
  • LCD-X
I'm looking for a relaxed yet revealing presentation with textured and deep bass that isn't too loose but extended and powerful with highly resolved mids and slightly rolled-off highs. Warm-neutral is the coloration I'm looking for

Always good to read multiple reviews, since we hear differently and opinions do vary :wink: You can try driving Empyrean from a smartphone, but will it sound good? I covered many Empyrean source pair ups in my review here, including SPK SS. While many IEMs and headphones do sound great with SPK, this particular pair up driven directly (from BAL) was too smooth, too laid back, loosing the energy which you would expect from these planar magnetic cans. I can only guess, SPK stacked up with a higher voltage SPK amp would do Empyrean justice.

Aug 24, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #7,023 of 9,409
@JasonNYC
is deezer hifi possible on ak daps, as i have a hifi account but in deezer in the ak player i see only standard playback

if i install deezer apk through open services will it playback my hifi subscription in high quality or not

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #7,024 of 9,409
Anyone try the sp1000+amp for sony ier z1r?

Aug 24, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #7,026 of 9,409
For anyone in the Las Vegas area today, our dealer The Audio Video Boutique is holding their "Meet the Maker" Listening Lounge event today from 3 - 7 pm PT. We will have the SP2000 available for demo.
Ha Ha Ha I think that is the “meet your maker” event. Once you do that you are dead or at least you wallet will.

Aug 25, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #7,028 of 9,409
Jason, you are too much, I almost rolled on the floor died (meet your maker) laughing. I was joking when you use the phrase “meet the maker” and I changed to the phrase “meet your maker” just to crack a joke. I never in my wildest dream that you literally changed it to “meet your maker”. Have you not ever heard that phrase is meant to say somebody died and went to meet his/her maker? Ha ha ha I didn’t go to that event today because I wasn’t ready to go to meet my maker yet.:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::k701smile::k701smile::k701smile:

Has anyone recently gone to meet their maker yet? If so don’ Bring me with you.:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #7,030 of 9,409
Hi ,
I would like to connect my SP1000 via USB to an external t+a DAC8 DSD. I tried it with several OTG cables but had no success. Are there any settings in the SP1000 that I don’t see?
Any help is appreciated!
I wanted to compare the SP1000 with my ARIES G1 together with the DAC 8
Michael

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #7,031 of 9,409
Jason, you are too much, I almost rolled on the floor died (meet your maker) laughing. I was joking when you use the phrase “meet the maker” and I changed to the phrase “meet your maker” just to crack a joke. I never in my wildest dream that you literally changed it to “meet your maker”. Have you not ever heard that phrase is meant to say somebody died and went to meet his/her maker? Ha ha ha I didn’t go to that event today because I wasn’t ready to go to meet my maker yet.:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::k701smile::k701smile::k701smile:

Has anyone recently gone to meet their maker yet? If so don’ Bring me with you.:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
The event was actually called "Meet Your Maker!" I believe they were joking with the meaning of the phrase.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 28, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #7,034 of 9,409
Hi ,
I would like to connect my SP1000 via USB to an external t+a DAC8 DSD. I tried it with several OTG cables but had no success. Are there any settings in the SP1000 that I don’t see?
Any help is appreciated!
I wanted to compare the SP1000 with my ARIES G1 together with the DAC 8
Michael
When you connect via USB to the SP1000 with an OTG cable, swipe down from the top of the screen. You should see the External USB icon lit gray. Press on the External USB icon to enable the connection.

20181101_122425.jpg
20181101_122508.jpg

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Aug 28, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #7,035 of 9,409
Thanks for the responses.

I think the Susvara (83dB/mW) has a much lower sensitivity than the HEkse (96 dB/mW). That might explain why the SP1K is not able to perform with it without an additional AMP.

However, I have contemplated the Meze Empyrean, too. From my research, at least from the reviews such as heafonia etc., the SP1000 was rated as pretty good with it. Here's a snippet from the review:

With the Empyrean, in single ended mode, you get a very fast, precise, extended and clean sound. It’s the typical SP1000 character with a balanced, wide presentation and a neutral tuning with excellent extension. The SP1000 is very technical and the Empyrean will make you hear that. It’s a nice combo actually.

Even in this thread, the balanced output of the SP1k has been regarded very potent.
That was giving me hope for both the Empyrean (100 dB/mW) and the HEkse (96 dB/mW).
I know those numbers aren't the full story, that's why I was asking.

I would like to have a home setup in addition to my SP1kCu/ VE8 CIEM combination. Something that's plug and play without an additional AMP.

My current contenders are:
  • Hifiman Edition X V2
  • Hifiman HE1000Se
  • Meze Empyrean
  • LCD-X
I'm looking for a relaxed yet revealing presentation with textured and deep bass that isn't too loose but extended and powerful with highly resolved mids and slightly rolled-off highs. Warm-neutral is the coloration I'm looking for

I have for sale Hifiman 1000 SE and Audeze MX4 and to my ears the MX4 is amazing with ak sp1000m, so I guess it will be even more sp2000

As for SE I think the pairing is great as well but with the dap its bass is less than mx4 and leaner mids, this headphone is just nailing it for detail lovers

For me I would choose the MX4 with sp1000 or sp2000 but with a desktop amp and dac i would pick 1000SE. even if both are not power hungry but the 1000SE sounds so much better with desktop amp and dac than through a dap

Empyrean I had and sold it I did not like it as I felt its rolled off in the highs

I also had lcdx and sold it as well not in the league at all compared to 1000se or mx4

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back