New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Aug 16, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #7,008 of 9,409
When passing via SPDIF or USB, you are bypassing the internal DAC and MQA decoder in the player. It will only unfold when playing on the player itself.

@JasonNYC or anyone....
I don't want to bypass SP1000 DAC but want the best SQ from SP10000 to feed an AVR (if possible to have MQA also unfolded when sent to the AVR). How do I achieve this using the
1) Optical or
2) 3.5mm output?

Do I just turn off SPDIF conversion when using Optical? Turn off line out when using 3.5mm and just use the volume when connected to RCA?
Will Optical achieve the best SQ?

Aug 17, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #7,011 of 9,409
Primephonic works on the SP1000/SP1000M. The issue with login is that when you go to log in, it opens a web browser and authenticates your log in via a web page, then directs back to the app, while most apps pass log in info through the app and not by opening a separate browser window. I will have to discuss with our dev team on how to pass the log in via a web page, then have it redirect to the app correctly.
hello maybe I am getting it wrong, does it work now or with new beta firmware?
I tried to install it but not showing anything

Aug 17, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #7,012 of 9,409
can i ask for more feedback about sound signature comparison between AK Se100 and Ak SP1000m blue ( lows, mids, highs ) also which has a wider soundstage ?
I have both SE100 and SP1000M. I never use the EQ on either. The difference to me, listening through Westone W80... the SE100 has slightly more sub low end, but is scooped in the mid-range, compared to the SP1000M. The SP1000M seems to have quite a wider soundstage, because it has so much more detailed information in the midrange and upper midrange... however it's not harsh at all because of this. The SP1000M sounds "richer" in the midrange and high end. But the SP1000M is very close in the low/sub low end amount compared to the SE100. The SE100 just seems to have a tad more sub low end to me. The SE100 high end seems somewhat more "sizzling" than the SP1000M. But some of the sub low end and high end sizzle of the SE100 could also be due to those ranges being more apparent in the SE100 from its lack of the rich midrange that the SP1000M has.

There's definitely a difference between the SE100 and SP1000M. I find myself listening to the SP1000M most of the time. I listen to a wide variety of music, but quite a bit of electronic/experimental nowadays, but also listen to acoustic jazz, blues, and rock mostly. A lot of electronic music really sounds optimal with very good sub low end. The SE100 sounds really great in the sub lows for that style. But when I'm using the SE100, as much as I like it, especially with some electronic, it also seems like I'm missing a lot of the rich midrange the SP1000M has. And the SP1000M sounds so great throughout the entire frequency range, including the sub low end... when it's in the source material... that I find myself preferring the SP1000M at least, like... 80% of the time or more.

Sometimes I think the perfect sound for me would be if I could have everything about the SP1000M, but a tad bit of the sub low end of the SE100 to go along with it. That would be the perfect DAP sound for me.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #7,013 of 9,409
I have both SE100 and SP1000M. I never use the EQ on either. The difference to me, listening through Westone W80... the SE100 has slightly more sub low end, but is scooped in the mid-range, compared to the SP1000M. The SP1000M seems to have quite a wider soundstage, because it has so much more detailed information in the midrange and upper midrange... however it's not harsh at all because of this. The SP1000M sounds "richer" in the midrange and high end. But the SP1000M is very close in the low/sub low end amount compared to the SE100. The SE100 just seems to have a tad more sub low end to me. The SE100 high end seems somewhat more "sizzling" than the SP1000M. But some of the sub low end and high end sizzle of the SE100 could also be due to those ranges being more apparent in the SE100 from its lack of the rich midrange that the SP1000M has.

There's definitely a difference between the SE100 and SP1000M. I find myself listening to the SP1000M most of the time. I listen to a wide variety of music, but quite a bit of electronic/experimental nowadays, but also listen to acoustic jazz, blues, and rock mostly. A lot of electronic music really sounds optimal with very good sub low end. The SE100 sounds really great in the sub lows for that style. But when I'm using the SE100, as much as I like it, especially with some electronic, it also seems like I'm missing a lot of the rich midrange the SP1000M has. And the SP1000M sounds so great throughout the entire frequency range, including the sub low end... when it's in the source material... that I find myself preferring the SP1000M at least, like... 80% of the time or more.

Sometimes I think the perfect sound for me would be if I could have everything about the SP1000M, but a tad bit of the sub low end of the SE100 to go along with it. That would be the perfect DAP sound for me.

thanks so much for this detailed answer. So do u think warm iems would go with which one better

Aug 17, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #7,014 of 9,409
Hong Kong Av Audio Show and first thoughts of sp2000

that is a huge drop in price for ak sp1000m blue 13500 HKD, which I think should have been its original price to begin with

I think AK should make this price available to all their customers through their dealers worldwide, now no one will pay 2400 usd for Ak sp1000m blue for original price

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #7,015 of 9,409
that is a huge drop in price for ak sp1000m blue 13500 HKD, which I think should have been its original price to begin with

I think AK should make this price available to all their customers through their dealers worldwide, now no one will pay 2400 usd for Ak sp1000m blue for original price

I am sure that the price will drop once the sp2000 is fully released. However, not to that price I feel.

Stay tuned for the next 2 videos of IEM unboxing

JH Audio Billie Jean
Obravo Cupid

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #7,016 of 9,409
I am sure that the price will drop once the sp2000 is fully released. However, not to that price I feel.

Stay tuned for the next 2 videos of IEM unboxing

JH Audio Billie Jean
Obravo Cupid

so what did u decide to ak1000 and amp or buy an ak2000

i appreciate your reviews thanks

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #7,018 of 9,409
Hey guys. Has anyone had any experience with the HiFiman HE1000se and the SP1000 without an amp? Would the sp1k be able to pull that off in balanced mode, or is it just not powerful enough?

I don't have HE1k, but considering that many refer to it as a demanding planar magnetic and also based on my personal experience of not being able to drive Empyrean with SPK to their full potential, I think it's safe to assume you will need an amp :wink:

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #7,019 of 9,409
I have a Susvara and I tried it on the SP1000, with stock cable and a 3.5mm adapter but you had to be almost at full volume to get an answer!
I bought the amplifier, new test on the unbalanced output, although I am at 100/120 in volume ( the max is at 150), I found a great pleasure to listen and therefore I have just ordered a balanced cable in 2.5 which should allow me to listen at a volume of about 80 and therefore to be able, if necessary, to push the listening.

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #7,020 of 9,409
Thanks for the responses.

I think the Susvara (83dB/mW) has a much lower sensitivity than the HEkse (96 dB/mW). That might explain why the SP1K is not able to perform with it without an additional AMP.

However, I have contemplated the Meze Empyrean, too. From my research, at least from the reviews such as heafonia etc., the SP1000 was rated as pretty good with it. Here's a snippet from the review:

With the Empyrean, in single ended mode, you get a very fast, precise, extended and clean sound. It’s the typical SP1000 character with a balanced, wide presentation and a neutral tuning with excellent extension. The SP1000 is very technical and the Empyrean will make you hear that. It’s a nice combo actually.

Even in this thread, the balanced output of the SP1k has been regarded very potent.
That was giving me hope for both the Empyrean (100 dB/mW) and the HEkse (96 dB/mW).
I know those numbers aren't the full story, that's why I was asking.

I would like to have a home setup in addition to my SP1kCu/ VE8 CIEM combination. Something that's plug and play without an additional AMP.

My current contenders are:
  • Hifiman Edition X V2
  • Hifiman HE1000Se
  • Meze Empyrean
  • LCD-X
I'm looking for a relaxed yet revealing presentation with textured and deep bass that isn't too loose but extended and powerful with highly resolved mids and slightly rolled-off highs. Warm-neutral is the coloration I'm looking for

Users who are viewing this thread

Back