New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jun 27, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #6,631 of 9,409
Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me please. I am trying to use an external USB DAC with my sp1000m but whenever I connect the USB DAC I get no sound, even after enabling the USB audio function on the external USB option in notification panel.

Could the issue be that I need to disable MTP mode to enable DAC input mode? See the attached picture, how do I get that green arrow to move from MTP to the DAC Input option? It's not allowing me to do that when my external USB DAC is connected. I'm able to adjust volume from the USB DAC but I can't get any sound from it.

I've tested the USB DAC with another device and it works fine so there's no issue on that front.

Any ideas regarding what the issue is, please?
20190627_222205.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #6,632 of 9,409
I walk around with mine all the time.
It’s noticeably more heavy than the dx220.
If I’m wearing a belt, shorts or jeans are fine providing it’s the only thing in that pocket.
I can do athletic shorts also, providing there is a draw string to tie, elastic only with no tie-string is a no.
A bigger concern is the 2.5 cable. It’s easier to slightly bend in the pocket. 2.5 is fragile. I haven’t broken a 2.5 connector yet but there is just the slightest bend.
I would not buy a fanny pack, pockets are fine. If you wear skinny jeans, if there is elastic stretch you should be ok too. If you wear 100% cotton skinny jeans there could be an issue of not fitting.

I walk around with mine all the time. . . when I'm traveling I put it in my backpack pouch, but the 2.5mm connections are pretty tender and bend pretty easily. . . I've had to replace two for this exact reason. . .

Jun 27, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #6,634 of 9,409
Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me please. I am trying to use an external USB DAC with my sp1000m but whenever I connect the USB DAC I get no sound, even after enabling the USB audio function on the external USB option in notification panel.

Could the issue be that I need to disable MTP mode to enable DAC input mode? See the attached picture, how do I get that green arrow to move from MTP to the DAC Input option? It's not allowing me to do that when my external USB DAC is connected. I'm able to adjust volume from the USB DAC but I can't get any sound from it.

I've tested the USB DAC with another device and it works fine so there's no issue on that front.

Any ideas regarding what the issue is, please?
You do not need to enable the DAC mode as you are not connecting it to a computer. You only need to have the external USB activated to display USB audio. Otherwise try a different cable.
IMG_20190628_075041.jpg

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #6,645 of 9,409
I have an sp1000 ss which is king dap in my world. I've bought and sold dx200,dx150,dx80, hiby r6 pro, r6, R3, Sony wm1a and many others but this one is a keeper. I did own also an se100 but did not love it like the sp1000. I also own a dx220 and fiio 11 but am after a work travel dap. Should I get the sp1000m or sr15 or even an ak380? Or do you kind folk have other suggestions
I had SP1000 and sold it because it was too big to travel with. I took a SP1000M gold and very happy with my purchase. It is smaller and lighter than SP1000. However, be aware that:
  • Although they have the same internals, the sound signature of SP1000 is slightly different from the one of SP1000M. I found SP1000 to have a wider soundstage. SP1000M gold is imo warmer and more focused on the bass. The difference is subtle though
  • The battery of SP1000M has less capacity. I really feel the difference in battery life, in particular if you use the balanced output
Overall, I think that SP1000M is the best DAP you can have for travelling. The gold version is :heart_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back