New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Apr 20, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #3,167 of 9,406
Testing Fostex th900 vs Elear....

No Comparison 900s are far better with everything even with soundstage

ı think i will sell Elears, i wonder about utopia with sp1000

Utopias sound great with SP1000 and no issues with driving power. But if you prefer TH900 (which I also had in the past), you will not like the Utopias no matter what the source is. The bass will seem too light and the treble will sound rolled off compared to TH900. Soundstage will sound very much intimate with the Utopias versus TH900.

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #3,171 of 9,406

Confirm easily.
I dont tend to like or dislike what I bought. Just use straight words to say.
Hit figure tip on back of sp1000, it makes sound, I say it's weak.
Someone dont think it is weak, he or she can call whatever they like. My opinion, it is not strong or solid.
If anyone have an unit that dont make sound/noise when hit by figure tip, okay that means my unit has an individual matter
How is the tapping noise relevant? How does that make it "weak?" So it's not a solid piece of metal on the back, what does that matter? Mine is not "loose" in any manner. I've had two SS models, both built like tanks. And I keep a case on both of them, like I do on all my devices including phones. If someone chooses NOT to use a protective case, whatever happens happens. That's why they are called "protective" cases.

As to scratching, my 240SS still looks perfect, as does my SP1000, and I use them daily when I walk. They don't sit carefully on a desk. I use them. Yes, they CAN scratch, but a careful user is unlikely to scratch them. And if they DO get scratched, it's part of the process of owning and using something. Unless you are the kind of person who buys a car and puts a bra on the front of it, the expectation is that stuff will happen over time. And even with that bra, stuff will happen.

Enjoy the device and worry less about fingerprints and minor scratches. Unless you plan to use it for a short time and then sell it, minor imperfections just show that it has been used.

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #3,172 of 9,406
AK380+AK3**AMP owner here. is it worth the upgrade?

What are you looking to get out of an upgrade? The SP1000 won't be able to drive power-hungry headphones much better than the 380 suit, but IMO the signature is slightly more pleasant and performance with balanced output is notably better.

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #3,173 of 9,406
AK380+AK3**AMP owner here. is it worth the upgrade?
I would issue a fair warning unlike both buddies above: it's not an upgrade, it's a sidegrade because the signature is just not the same.

Don't expect the slight warmth of AK380 with SP1000, don't expect the nice bass slam and relaxed natural treble, and don't expect to drive larger headphones that the AK380 amp can power.

In the end, if you can demo, please do, because it does NOT sound similar / better, it sounds different.

Some prefer the SP1000, others the AK380, and I don't see any objective reason why the latest "flagship" should necessarily sound "better" when the 211 pages did not show consensus on the matter.

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #3,174 of 9,406
I have consensus, i had the ak380cu alone and with amp cu to, the sp1000cu has better sound quality than the ak380cu or the combo, the sp1000 drives in balanced mode much better my he400i than the ak 380 cu alone, of course in terms of output voltage is unfair to put the sp1000 alone to the akplusamp combo but in pure SQ parameters the sp1000 is clearly ahead, the sound has more dimension more scale dynamic and more detail, for me is has clear has water, i am waiting if the ak brings an amp to the sp1000 to it will be fu*#%#$ing awsome, what is awsome in this audio quality very subjective world is the expectations that some people creat, some time ago the Ibasso dx200 when came out it was by many , the best, it was better than the 1Z the ak380 etc, i had the 1Z that time and because that created expectations i bought the dx200....What .....better than 1Z?? No to my ears so this discution is pointless, it allways be someone that wakes up by morning and is grumpy, and says that what you think that is good is terrebly bad...

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #3,177 of 9,406
Wow this morning I almost burned my hand because the SP1000 SS was really really hot. Is this normal? I was just playing flac files, mostly 16bit/44.1Khz. Volume at around 20 and I use a Beyerdynamic T5p II.

No, it is not normal. At least it never happened to me !

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #3,179 of 9,406
Wow this morning I almost burned my hand because the SP1000 SS was really really hot. Is this normal? I was just playing flac files, mostly 16bit/44.1Khz. Volume at around 20 and I use a Beyerdynamic T5p II.
I had the same problem with mine several months ago.. sent it to A&K and they replaced the power management IC.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #3,180 of 9,406

I assume you were not charging it while playing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back