New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Feb 3, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #2,686 of 9,409
I can confirm that burn-in is essential. My SP1000 SS with KSE1500 was a little too thin in the mids in the first few hours of use. I was a little disappointed with the sound signature, to be honest. But then I let it burn in for like an extra 30 hours and I can already hear quite a significant improvement, it's definitely sounding fuller and thicker. Looking forward to getting over the 100 hour mark.

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #2,687 of 9,409
Yes, it takes a while but it does sound better...gets super good actually.

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #2,688 of 9,409
Here's what my SP1000 looks like in the Pelican 1040 case, with the KSE1500 amp strapped to it. The KSE amp is in the foam and the SP1000 floats on top. Not sure if you can really tell from the profile view, but the silicone band makes it a perfect fit. The SP1000 screen doesn't knock against the Pelican case -- there's no movement if you shake the case. I'm quite pleased with this setup, other than the fact that it's not light. & then I use the 1020 case for the IEMs.

_DSC5688.jpg
_DSC5690.jpg

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #2,690 of 9,409
@JasonNYC

Feature request - can AK support an option to rotate the screen 180 deg and correspondingly reverse the digital volume and play controls? The use case for this is USB cable plugged in and positioned away from me and the headphone output positioned towards me. I assume this is all in software/firmware. I would take just the screen rotation if that's easier.
I will pass this onto our software development team.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 4, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #2,691 of 9,409
@JasonNYC feature request for me as well...

My preferred way to browse my library is to go by Artist->Albums. On my AK120II this would show a list of the album titles. On the SP1000 this shows the title and track list of each album. So if I've got, say, 15 albums from the same artist, I have to scroll a lot to get to album #15, which is annoying. I'd really love a way to collapse the track lists so that just the album titles show up (unless there's already some way to do that, that I don't know about?). Thanks!
Thank you for posting this request. We have had a few people also request this feature. I will pass along a +1 to our development team to add this feature.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 4, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #2,692 of 9,409
Does someone experience this ? :
When the light of the screen of my SP1000 ss is on : the light is not stable, there is a kind of hight / down, a kind of variation which is very perceptible.
S.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #2,693 of 9,409
Thank you for posting this request. We have had a few people also request this feature. I will pass along a +1 to our development team to add this feature.

+1 and also sorting by Album Artist and not song/track artist.

Feb 4, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #2,694 of 9,409
I am not understanding why AK would include EQ which is almost useless. I fiddled around over a week but didnt feel much difference if not none between the settings. This device has no software sound control. Almost all my flac music collections with heavy beat sound bloated but I cant tone it down because this thing doesnt even have a simple bass/treble control.

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #2,695 of 9,409
I am not understanding why AK would include EQ which is almost useless. I fiddled around over a week but didnt feel much difference if not none between the settings. This device has no software sound control. Almost all my flac music collections with heavy beat sound bloated but I cant tone it down because this thing doesnt even have a simple bass/treble control.

Yes, while EQ was never great in the AK380 and 320 series, in the SP1000 is useless

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #2,696 of 9,409
The SP1000 EQ can only go to +/- 5 dB. That range is for fine tuning and not making drastic changes in tone which would be in the 9-12 dB range. Since the EQ is done in the digital domain, I reckon AK could increase the range via firmware upgrade. However, I don't think many owners have asked for it since they try to pair their headphones and cables to their preferences without EQ. Personally I only use a slight bump in bass for when I'm on a plane.

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #2,697 of 9,409
AK has never had fantastic EQs. Just guessing, but I would hazard that AK figures people buy its exceptional music players because the players already have an excellent sound signature and there is no need to radically alter it. And at these price points, it probably figures we the consumers can always purchase a better/more appropriate IEM or earphone or cable. When I bought my SP1000SS I found that my Moon Audio Silver Dragon ll, which was fairly costly, no longer sounded good when connected to my new player and my JH Angie (it sounded great with my AK240SS) I replaced it with a more appropriate cable (luckily for me, the stock Angie cable sounded great with the SP1000SS, so no harm no foul). But I had had to get the Silver for the 240SS, because I wanted more detail, especially in the upper end. At this level of this hobby, that is what has to happen sometimes.

If you have boomy sound, it probably means that what you have in or over your ears is not pairing well with your music/source. So, maybe a different over or in ears selection is in order. I'm not trying to belittle your issues, just pointing out what seems to clearly be AK's mission statement: our sound is great, and we aren't going to let you change it too much from within our players just because you want to.

Some people on these threads have decided to alter their sound by EQ'ing their music files, which I'm sure was time-consuming. Others have sold their AK's and gotten other players with more adjustability, or bought new IEMs or headphones. I don't think AK is going to implement new EQ on the SP1000 at this point. I could be wrong, you could ask Jason, but these issues/questions have been raised in the past to no avail.

Feb 5, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #2,698 of 9,409
At this price point it makes sense to provide the consumers more option to maneuver. Are they playing Apple here telling the consumers we dictate what is good for you?
I really don't think it would be hard to make the software update to accommodate. No doubt SP1000 is the great player and it surely proves to be the case when I feed the eq'd files but this doesn't help.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #2,699 of 9,409
I'm very happy with my SP1000
I was thinking about some additional features

Feature request:

- an option to disable charging when plugged with USB in DAC mode or MTP (maybe it will save battery between unnecessary charge cycle)
- In AK connect make this scenario possible : DLNA player --> SP1000 --> any speaker (only "My device" can play music despite the fact you can control the SP1000 via the DLNA player from your computer)
- make an audio volume limite not to listen to the music above X
- Allow sync music via Wifi with read/write in SP1000 network folder
- in "Artist" view display a gallery of album covers then title instead of browsing a long list including all albums with tracks
- create a shortcut to show the full album when playing a song.
- import or display ratings *****

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #2,700 of 9,409
I have a little issue with downloading music from a DLNA source.
In Ak connect \ DLNA Folder, I've downloaded a Flac to the Music\download folder but it can't be found and the folder remains empty.
When i retry the download it says the file already exits and will be overwritten.
When i look at the total of files in the SP1000 no increment have been made before and after the file transfer.
Any help on this issue will be appreciated.

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back