New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Nov 15, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #2,146 of 9,409
If you guys want to drive difficult headphones and don't care about portable, try the Ayre Codex DAC/amp. It's a balanced unit and to me punches into the 5k range of DAC's that I've auditioned recently. It's listed price is only 1800. One of the best buys in all of audio for my ears. Just a thought.

Question, I have the ak380 coming in the next week or so. I noticed that you are talking about a 400gb micro sd card. I've never used a card. Would this work in the 380? If so, I'll get one as it seems like a good value. thanks.
I am using the Codex in my Big system as well as my main headphone setup, it is wonderful sounding DAC, just took a very long time to run it in. but in the end it was well worth it.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #2,147 of 9,409
Yes, all Ayre gear will take up to 500 hrs to run in. It's due to the fact that they use a ton of silver lead components and silver wire in there. The Codex was actually designed to be part of their Ayre series, but they wanted to try and market it to other dealers to sell more. They wanted to see if they could sell it for lower cost by selling more of them. The clock they use is either the same one that's in my QX5 or a variant. Their profit margin on the Codex is much less than other products I'm sure, but it's a gateway product for them. '

What else is in your system? Also do you run in balanced into your preamp? If so, it's the best sound by far.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #2,148 of 9,409
Yes, all Ayre gear will take up to 500 hrs to run in. It's due to the fact that they use a ton of silver lead components and silver wire in there. The Codex was actually designed to be part of their Ayre series, but they wanted to try and market it to other dealers to sell more. They wanted to see if they could sell it for lower cost by selling more of them. The clock they use is either the same one that's in my QX5 or a variant. Their profit margin on the Codex is much less than other products I'm sure, but it's a gateway product for them. '

What else is in your system? Also do you run in balanced into your preamp? If so, it's the best sound by far.
I'm running from ROON audioquest cinnamon cat 7, MicroRendo which is powered by a Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR Power Suppy, to Audioquest diamond USB cable into Codex. and to my ears it sounds phenomenal.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #2,149 of 9,409
Outstanding. Have you tried optical isolation for you ethernet connection? Charlie Hansen (owner/inventor at Ayre) uses a optically isolated ethernet sub board in my QX5/20. He's told me that it is well worth it. I have been running optical isolation on my ethernet connection and it makes a HUGE difference in lowering the noise floor. It will allow for a much larger sound stage, better micro and macro detail along with allowing better dynamics. It's like upgrading from a basic cable to a 10k interconnect (yes, I have done this as I tried a $20 balanced interconnect and then inserted my Audioquest WEL interconnect (8k 1m run). I would also share that going from Cinnamon (an excellent choice. I use a Cinnamon HDMI for my TV to cable box connection) to Vodka may be worth listening to if you can. I noticed a big difference once I put in the optical isolation (I am currently figuring out which components I will use for my perm install).

I get a lot of gear in to audition and review etc...as it's been a hobby for so many years. Audio people are just so awesome.

Do you run a 2 channel system also, or just headphones?

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #2,150 of 9,409
I am about to conduct a memory card shootout for the SP1000 this coming weekend - new Sandisk 400GB vs Samsung Hi Speed vs Sony Hi-fi micro SD vs internal memory - playing the same songs. Will keep you guys posted.

Nov 16, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #2,151 of 9,409
We are looking into adding Spotify in the future, but do not have an official announcement or timeframe yet. We will post here and on our social media accounts if/when we have more information.

If you allow me to suggest (I never found a way for suggestions on AK sites):
I would like upgrades or future TOTL AK players to have many (at least two and ideally many more) slots for micro sdxc cards ( I have several TB of digitalized music ).

Nov 16, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #2,152 of 9,409
I´ve just ripped "Hotel California" onto my SP1000 Cu, using the AK Ripper II. Sounds a bit more airy in the treble and a bit more powerful in the bass, with the same excellent mids as I know them from my 1976 original vinyl record. I´m stunned.... :hushed:

Nov 16, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #2,154 of 9,409
Outstanding. Have you tried optical isolation for you ethernet connection? Charlie Hansen (owner/inventor at Ayre) uses a optically isolated ethernet sub board in my QX5/20. He's told me that it is well worth it. I have been running optical isolation on my ethernet connection and it makes a HUGE difference in lowering the noise floor. It will allow for a much larger sound stage, better micro and macro detail along with allowing better dynamics. It's like upgrading from a basic cable to a 10k interconnect (yes, I have done this as I tried a $20 balanced interconnect and then inserted my Audioquest WEL interconnect (8k 1m run). I would also share that going from Cinnamon (an excellent choice. I use a Cinnamon HDMI for my TV to cable box connection) to Vodka may be worth listening to if you can. I noticed a big difference once I put in the optical isolation (I am currently figuring out which components I will use for my perm install).

I get a lot of gear in to audition and review etc...as it's been a hobby for so many years. Audio people are just so awesome.

Do you run a 2 channel system also, or just headphones?
Yes two channel is my main hobby all Krell system with Von Schweikert VR 5se speakers, but it’s over Kill in my small room, I believe that is why I started getting into headphones systems

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #2,157 of 9,409
Got this today for my SP1000 Cu

IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #2,159 of 9,409
If you allow me to suggest (I never found a way for suggestions on AK sites):
I would like upgrades or future TOTL AK players to have many (at least two and ideally many more) slots for micro sdxc cards ( I have several TB of digitalized music ).

+100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back