New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Nov 16, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #2,161 of 9,406
If you allow me to suggest (I never found a way for suggestions on AK sites):
I would like upgrades or future TOTL AK players to have many (at least two and ideally many more) slots for micro sdxc cards ( I have several TB of digitalized music ).
Thank you for your suggestion. I will pass it on to our design team. As you are aware, KANN does have more than one external memory card slot and will support up to 512GB full-sized SD Card and 400GB mircoSD card in addition to it's 64GB of internal memory.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Nov 16, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #2,162 of 9,406
SP1000 Cu + Brimar Audio OmniKing + KSE1500 = Dream Team

IMG_0269.JPG

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #2,165 of 9,406
Thank you for your suggestion. I will pass it on to our design team. As you are aware, KANN does have more than one external memory card slot and will support up to 512GB full-sized SD Card and 400GB mircoSD card in addition to it's 64GB of internal memory.

Thank you very much, JasonNYC.

I know about KANN's features, I am sorry, I meant more TOTL products like the SP1000 for which I wish several micro sdxc slots or an integrated SSD with a huge capacity (e.g.4 TB) (I have between 7 and 8 TB of music...)

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #2,166 of 9,406
I don't think just buying more and more drive space is a good answer to a growing library. I look back at how many smaller capacity cards I have left that are now practically worthless. Then I spend hundreds on the latest capacities. I would spend the money on music. I think solutions would be something like:
  • Brute force - Internal or wirelessly connected SSD of at least 2 TB
  • Swap out - multiple SD cards that are easily plugged in/out without needed to power down or re-index
  • Only what you need - some intelligent library manager that somehow tracks what you listen to and downloads only what you need at any given time
  • Cheap and easy - convert all tracks to the highest quality lossy. I know most high end folks will reject this, but is anyone working out a better compression algorithm?

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #2,167 of 9,406
I don't think just buying more and more drive space is a good answer to a growing library. I look back at how many smaller capacity cards I have left that are now practically worthless. Then I spend hundreds on the latest capacities. I would spend the money on music. I think solutions would be something like:
  • Brute force - Internal or wirelessly connected SSD of at least 2 TB
  • Swap out - multiple SD cards that are easily plugged in/out without needed to power down or re-index
  • Only what you need - some intelligent library manager that somehow tracks what you listen to and downloads only what you need at any given time
  • Cheap and easy - convert all tracks to the highest quality lossy. I know most high end folks will reject this, but is anyone working out a better compression algorithm?

I’m thinking more along your line of thinking. I got 1/250gb, 3/200gb,1/128 and almost purchased the 400gb version before I starting thinking I’m happy with the storage I already got... I’ll invest in a leather case or something lol..

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #2,172 of 9,406
Do we really need two slots? Two 400GB SD cards of songs would far outlast the battery life, even if they are all in DSD. Anyone experienced the Discman and MD era here? Indexing music on multiple SD cards and changing the cards are a breeze compared with those.

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #2,173 of 9,406
Do we really need two slots? Two 400GB SD cards of songs would far outlast the battery life, even if they are all in DSD. Anyone experienced the Discman and MD era here? Indexing music on multiple SD cards and changing the cards are a breeze compared with those.

Thank you for the suggestion,

but this is precisely what I personally don't want:

- carrying many SD cards with me

- finding a way of being able to distinguish those identical (currently 400GB, I always purchase those with the highest capacity, also for my smartphone and my tablet) tiny (no space to write on them) pieces

- each time swapping them, which I find too much hassle, and with the additional burden that for my AK240 this implies removing and refitting the leather case which is very tight, all of this just not doable for me on the go.

It would then be much less hassle for me to carry an external SSD or 2.5" HDD, but this would still be cumbersome and also draw on the battery of the DAP, shortening the playing time and using it up (shorter life).

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #2,174 of 9,406
Thank you for the suggestion,

but this is precisely what I personally don't want:

- carrying many SD cards with me

- finding a way of being able to distinguish those identical (currently 400GB, I always purchase those with the highest capacity, also for my smartphone and my tablet) tiny (no space to write on them) pieces

- each time swapping them, which I find too much hassle, and with the additional burden that for my AK240 this implies removing and refitting the leather case which is very tight, all of this just not doable for me on the go.

It would then be much less hassle for me to carry an external SSD or 2.5" HDD, but this would still be cumbersome and also draw on the battery of the DAP, shortening the playing time and using it up (shorter life).
I'm currently using this Micro SD case from Dignis:
IMG_2530.jpg IMG_2529.jpg IMG_2531.jpg

Works well enough for me..

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #2,175 of 9,406
Well, the problem with multiple microsd card is not the carrying of them, it is the lost of your playlist every time you switch. Then you have to rebuild them every time. I like the idea if AK can put out a different version with a larger SSD like two or four Tb for those who are willing to pay more for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back