New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Nov 14, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #2,116 of 9,409
Nov 15, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #2,119 of 9,409
Ultima case is well made and nice by itself, but the player doesn't look like much in it. In fact, it looks like a ****ty big cellphone. Only without this case is Ultima an artistic beauty, a design that kills Sony WM1Z. But it ends abruptly when you look at the WM1Z case, which both compliments greatly how it looks, and also makes WM1Z panzer-like, indestructible:

I was thinking the same thing about the SP1000 just looking like an average kind of ugly phone when in the case. I don't see the point of covering up most of the design

I've never used any AK player with a case on and never got scratches. I commute everyday on the train/subway but I've just been careful and I don't put the players in my pockets. I plan to do the same when I get the SP1000.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #2,120 of 9,409
I was thinking the same thing about the SP1000 just looking like an average kind of ugly phone when in the case. I don't see the point of covering up most of the design

I've never used any AK player with a case on and never got scratches. I commute everyday on the train/subway but I've just been careful and I don't put the players in my pockets. I plan to do the same when I get the SP1000.
That's the way to go.
I'm only sorry for being not careful enough.
But I will sell Cu and switch to SS in the future.

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #2,121 of 9,409
Just in.

IMG_0264.JPG

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #2,122 of 9,409

Nice!
How does it work?
I mean, does it automatically find album cover and titles through WiFi?
Or do you have to type it in on the screen?
Cheers

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #2,123 of 9,409
Nice!
How does it work?
I mean, does it automatically find album cover and titles through WiFi?
Or do you have to type it in on the screen?
Cheers
I have been using Ripper2 for more than a week now. It works pretty well. And yes, it does find all the info and cover pics via WiFi without any problem.

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #2,125 of 9,409
How is the speed?
Did you have a chance to compare to the original ripper?

Wondering if it does more than ripping, can it catalog as well? I got a really good cd/dvd dual layer ripper underneath my desk I purchased from Frys electronics for 25 bucks.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #2,126 of 9,409
I have both Hugo 2 and SP1000Cu. At home I use Hugo 2 most of the time, which clearly beats my TA-ZH1ES and HDV820. On the road, I use SP1000Cu or X7mk2 with RE2000.
Now, interesting comparison is between SP1000Cu and X7mk2. For pure audiophile aspects, SP1000Cu clearly wins in all departments, but not with a huge margin. Actually, the difference is not so big.
But overall, I prefer X7mk2 because of the amp (I use AM5 module instead of the stock AM3A). I tested using various HPs (please see my profile for the details) and preferred X7mk2 80% of the time to SP1000Cu.
And I believe it's because of the amp section. AM5 is very powerful (not to the level of Hugo 2, though) and can drive large cans nicely, like HE1kv2. Even with RE2000, I enjoy most of my music better with X7mk2 than SP1000Cu. Considering the price difference, I think X7mk2 does an excellent job for the price (1/5 of SP1000Cu).

Now, to your questions:
SP1000
1) Are you sure that the LR balance problem is because of the SP1000 not the HPs/IEMs (including cables)?
2) EQ is not a strong suit for AK DAPs. I don't think it will improve even with firmware updates.
Hugo 2
1) Yes. Hugo 2 has enough driving power with authority for HD800S and HE1kv2.
2) With HDV820, when I use analog input, Hugo 2 has better SQ to my ears.

Hope this helps. YMMV.
Thank you.
About LR imbalance, its is sure 100% happened to that demo unit and it also is the cause.
It just happen to dsd, not piece of pcm has that phenomenon. I heard by ears and saw input level indicator bar of kse1500. Those are strong envidences.
There's a impact mark and crack line on the back. So it could be a cause of problem but I wonder how it happen only to dsd. May be dsd circuit affected while pcm section is ok.
I think its not a typical on other unit.
Don't heard sp1000cu yet but ss version seems tend to bright side to my ear. I look for a thicker and darker side... cu vesion may be suitable.
How about sp1000 sq if you feed analog to hdvd820?

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #2,128 of 9,409
If I were in your position, I would go with Hugo 2. HDV820 is also a good DAC/amp. But to my ears, Hugo 2 does everything better than HDV820, although the gaps are pretty small.
If you are looking for sheer power (on headphone output), HDV820 wins. But again overall, Hugo 2 wins for me. YMMV.

I researched a little more and based off what I read the dac in the Hugo is amazing but the amp still needs more power, especially for the Focal Utopia. The Hugo 2 doesn’t really make the Utopia shine so an external amp is typically used in the chain. As for the HDV820 the amp is top notch and the dac is much better although not as good as Hugo 2 but still top notch.

My previous HDVD800 sounded amazing to my ears using HD800S/Utopia but people complained about the dac being the weak point. I’m upgrading because I got a nice offer for my previous HDVD800 and to play my DSD catalogue.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #2,129 of 9,409
I researched a little more and based off what I read the dac in the Hugo is amazing but the amp still needs more power, especially for the Focal Utopia. The Hugo 2 doesn’t really make the Utopia shine so an external amp is typically used in the chain.

Not quite sure where you read this but it’s not my experience at all, and many others love the H2 / Utopia pairing. H2 works really well with the Utopia and there is absolutely no lack of power, this comparing to my other gear. That’s not to say that others won’t prefer the sound of different amps added to the chain, but it certainly doesn’t lack power for the Utopia, which isn’t particularly difficult to drive anyway. I ran the volume in the lower third of the volume range and there was no lack of dynamics or punch at all. Funny how there’s so much H2 talk in the SP1000 thread.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2,130 of 9,409
If you guys want to drive difficult headphones and don't care about portable, try the Ayre Codex DAC/amp. It's a balanced unit and to me punches into the 5k range of DAC's that I've auditioned recently. It's listed price is only 1800. One of the best buys in all of audio for my ears. Just a thought.

Question, I have the ak380 coming in the next week or so. I noticed that you are talking about a 400gb micro sd card. I've never used a card. Would this work in the 380? If so, I'll get one as it seems like a good value. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back