New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Nov 9, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #2,042 of 9,406
Absolutely beautiful, I have the Ultima Stainless Steel but I really like the copper version, it just gets scratches easier. It would be nice if Astell&Kern used some process to stop the oxidation so that you don't have to shine it every month. Thank you for sharing this eye candy.

It seems that people don't have tarnishing problems yet, neither do I :)
I really do regret buying Cu versus SS though.
If I have some time, I will try selling my little-bumped Cu and buy SS instead.

AND I have received my WM1Z today :) Still waiting for AK240 blue note.

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #2,043 of 9,406
In case you´re interested, this cable here will soon be my new Reference IC for the connection from my SP1000 Cu to my KSE1500. It´s Brimar Audio´s latest edition of their "Omni King Cable". 16 Crown Conductors.....

How do you use it with such cable? I wrote earlier, that I prefer 60cm IC and I put Ultima in one pocket, KSE1500 in another, wearing mostly jumper blouses with pockets on my tummy. How do you use Ultima and KSE with a short cable? No pocket will handle that?

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #2,044 of 9,406

Nice!
I went with the red (believe me or not, because of the stitching - yellowish/gold color similar to the SP1000Cu), but I like the blue too!

They will surely look a bit flashy/trashy to some people.. but are phenomenally well built and provide a far better grip than the original leather case.
+ they look as cool as the kid on @jscmd2000 picture! :ksc75smile:

I bought the dignis case for 2 reasons
1. It’s made of alcantara and that will help to postpone the oxidation compare to the leather case
2. It protect both side better that the Astell case, which has the side with the wheel more exposed.

It’s definitely a bold design, but I would say the same for the SP1000cu.

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #2,046 of 9,406
It seems that people don't have tarnishing problems yet, neither do I :)
I really do regret buying Cu versus SS though.
If I have some time, I will try selling my little-bumped Cu and buy SS instead.

AND I have received my WM1Z today :) Still waiting for AK240 blue note.
Congratulations!!!
Could you please describe your impressions about SP1000 VS WM1Z? What is the difference in SQ those two daps?
Thanks)

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,047 of 9,406
How do you use it with such cable? I wrote earlier, that I prefer 60cm IC and I put Ultima in one pocket, KSE1500 in another, wearing mostly jumper blouses with pockets on my tummy. How do you use Ultima and KSE with a short cable? No pocket will handle that?

When I use the kse1500 I have at least 3 cables to choose, they go from 30cm to 5.
It all depends of the situation, when I’m walking I personally use a short cable and store both devices in my coat pocket, when I’m in the office I use the long one paired to the Hugo2 this allow me to keep the Kse closer to me and the Hugo next to the laptop.

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #2,048 of 9,406
Congratulations!!!
Could you please describe your impressions about SP1000 VS WM1Z? What is the difference in SQ those two daps?
Thanks)

I should give WM1Z some time since it is said it should burn-in for 200h, and many people report that really 500h is needed :-0 And my 4,4mm trrs to 2,5mm is broken, so I currently use only mini-jack and just started using WM1Z today. For now, what I hear is a very nice pairing with KSE1500, delicate highs and I would leave it at that for now :) I will report more in the near future :)

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #2,049 of 9,406

It´s 20cm long.

Nov 9, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #2,050 of 9,406
I should give WM1Z some time since it is said it should burn-in for 200h, and many people report that really 500h is needed :-0 And my 4,4mm trrs to 2,5mm is broken, so I currently use only mini-jack and just started using WM1Z today. For now, what I hear is a very nice pairing with KSE1500, delicate highs and I would leave it at that for now :) I will report more in the near future :)

I can’t help but wonder why get so many DAPs to just pair them up when they’re already great as an all in one solution. I have a need for one desktop solution, Utopia/HD800s/Sennheiser HD820 and one mobile solution Ultima SP1000/Tia Fourta and I’m done. I’ll spend the rest of my money on another rental property and call it the day. This stuff adds up quick lol

Nov 9, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #2,051 of 9,406
I can’t help but wonder why get so many DAPs to just pair them up when they’re already great as an all in one solution. I have a need for one desktop solution, Utopia/HD800s/Sennheiser HD820 and one mobile solution Ultima SP1000/Tia Fourta and I’m done. I’ll spend the rest of my money on another rental property and call it the day. This stuff adds up quick lol
I don't invest in rental properties... yet. Have another investment focus, but that's not for this forum :wink: Yep, I may be a little crazy with all these stuff. Still, I do appreciate different sounding HP and DAPs if I may compare them with other ones from time to time. There are also different days: once I prefer an open HP, another day I prefer a closed one; etc. So for me, one DAP or one HP would never be enough, as I would get bored too easily. I like change. Very much.

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #2,053 of 9,406
In fact it al boils down to the sq of a recording, not the number of devices.. Each album is recorded very differentll. Buying Million devices won't help make them all sound great.

In fact, it does help. Dap, amp, tube, iem and cable rolling lets me enjoy my recordings in so many different ways I´ve never imagined would be possible. Sure, it all costs an arm and a leg, but for me it works (and sounds!) so much better than fiddling around with EQ adjustments. Just my 2c......

Nov 10, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #2,054 of 9,406
In fact, it does help. Dap, amp, tube, iem and cable rolling lets me enjoy my recordings in so many different ways I´ve never imagined would be possible. Sure, it all costs an arm and a leg, but for me it works (and sounds!) so much better than fiddling around with EQ adjustments. Just my 2c......
+1 (big one)

Nov 10, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #2,055 of 9,406
Unfortunately, yes. This is why I love buying (portable) amps as much as a I love hoarding DAPs. Amps really add a lot of character, color, excitement and fun to a DAP's sound.

Again, where did all my money go? :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back