New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Toolman, May 15, 2017.
  1. kubig123
    I knew it!

2. JasonNYC
    We have sold VanNuys cases for our players in the past on the Astell&Kern US E-Store. I believe we currently only have some AK300 series cases left at the moment. We have been looking into other case options with a number of manufacturers. We will make an announcement when we do offer additional options.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://instagram.com/astellnkern https://us.astellnkern.com support.inc@iriver.com
  3. kubig123
  4. jscmd2000
    haha this little guy might have a hole on his back... same color!

[​IMG]

Piotr Michalak and kubig123 like this.
  5. kubig123
    OMG, Love the color combo!!!
    :laughing::laughing::laughing:

6. junix
    Nice!
    I went with the red (believe me or not, because of the stitching - yellowish/gold color similar to the SP1000Cu), but I like the blue too!

They will surely look a bit flashy/trashy to some people.. but are phenomenally well built and provide a far better grip than the original leather case.
    + they look as cool as the kid on @jscmd2000 picture! :ksc75smile:

7. Piotr Michalak
    Yep, I also went with the red... I don't like how it looks on the photos, I hope the red one will look better. I'm starting to regret this :)

Whichever case we choose, still, Ultima looks best without one.

And unfortunately, only Ultima without a case is small enough to be carried around in a pocket.

Even the original case from the set makes Ultima about 0.5 cm thicker :frowning2:

8. Piotr Michalak
    Thanks, I'll look into it.

Has anybody here tested the AK Crystal Cables, both for IEMs and/or the mini-jack IC? I have just ordered the new models, however I did it blindly, as there is no way to test them in my country...

9. haiku
    I´ve got the Crystal Cable IC 3.5 - 3.5mm . Way better than for example Moon Audio´s Silver dragon, but still a long way from the Murakumo 6.

10. Piotr Michalak
    It took me a few days, but here you go. I got carried away and made some more photos for fun :wink:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last ones are, of course, Shure KSE 1500 on a fragment of Audio Technica W3000ANV case :wink: then my Lime Ears Aether with Lavricables with the plastic heatsink taken off (much better!), and the last ones are AK / Beyerdynamic T8ie mk2 with Forza Noir Hybrid.

On the photos it may seem that actually Ultima and AK380 are similar sized, but it's only theory.

In practice, AK380 has thinner edges and notice that Ultima is cut more like a brick, with 90 angles. It took as much of the space as possible within the dimensions.

Thus, AK380 fits ones pocket much easier. Also, Ultima is very long (or high, you may say). Add to it a non-angled 2,5mm trrs connector, as most of them are (Forza, Lavricables, even AK Crystal Cables) and you have no possibility to put it in your trousers without risking breaking the connector.

Of course, I have to be aware of that also with AK380. (To be honest, I only had AK380 in repair service so far, with both mini-jack and 2,5mm connectors broken, but both now repaired without any sings, thankfully).

AK380 with an AMP is bigger than the Ultima, of course. Still Ultima sounds better in terms of objective SQ. Subjectively, it's nice to go back to AK380ss from time to time, as it is less clinical and more musical. But Ultima is still the reference and a big step up in SQ.

bidn, Whitigir, kubig123 and 2 others like this.
  11. Piotr Michalak
    Thanks, I will probably try them out in some time. It'd be great if they made an english site :wink:

12. haiku
    They´ve got Google Translate on most of their websites.

13. haiku
    In case you´re interested, this cable here will soon be my new Reference IC for the connection from my SP1000 Cu to my KSE1500. It´s Brimar Audio´s latest edition of their "Omni King Cable". 16 Crown Conductors.....

IMG_5724.jpg

Piotr Michalak and kubig123 like this.
  14. wldcohso

Absolutely beautiful, I have the Ultima Stainless Steel but I really like the copper version, it just gets scratches easier. It would be nice if Astell&Kern used some process to stop the oxidation so that you don't have to shine it every month. Thank you for sharing this eye candy.

15. kubig123
    Looks awesome!

May I ask how much does it cost?