New to the Head-Fi community and I have a few questions
Sep 26, 2011 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Scribblenaut

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for a new pair of headphones for a while, and a lot of searches on Google have me ending up here. I figure I'd just ask a few questions in regards to a few different things.

I currently have a pair of WeSC Maracas I bought after having them recommended by a friend, but I think there are better headphones for me out there

What would be a good pair of headphones to start with, in a <$300 price range? I think I'd be looking at open headphones for use at home.

I was looking at a pair of AKG K272's, but a few Sennheiser models interested me as well. It seems like people have favorites between the 590's and 595's, what are the differences between the two? Also, Amazon lists the 598's as an upgraded model of the 595's, is this true? What are the changes?

I'd like something with some comfort, coming from a long line of headphones that aren't very comfortable. Something with a low impedance would be nice too, so I could use them on the go. 

In addition, I'm also looking for a headamp to go along with it. It'd be great if I could get one for less than $100, but I know I might be sacrificing some quality for this price. I don't really know what I'd be looking for in a headamp, so any help there would be appreciated. It'd be great if it was portable, in case I wanted to use it with my iPod, but chances are I wouldn't

Anyway, thanks in advance, I look forward to your help and suggestions.

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 11
1. Avoid the 272 - go with the 242HD or 240S
2. Avoid the 595 at all costs - go with the 558
3. All of the above are under $300, afaik
4. Sub-$100 amp - Fiio E10, released any day now. Plugs into your laptop via USB and the difference between that and the headphone out should put a smile on your face, even in these difficult economic times.

My final, and most important piece of advice, is that almost any combination of the above should make you happy. At that point, clear your browsing history and never, ever come back to this site. Trust me, your wallet will thank you and your family will be much happier in the years to come.

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
My final, and most important piece of advice, is that almost any combination of the above should make you happy. At that point, clear your browsing history and never, ever come back to this site. Trust me, your wallet will thank you and your family will be much happier in the years to come.

LOL SO TRUE
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 11
Having just transferred money for new phones, I know that of which I speak. This is a miserable obsession - look around your home, and ask how many TVs/fridges/microwaves you have. Even if you have a speaker rig, do you have 20 sets of speakers ?

Stop the planet - I really need to get off.   :wink:

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Having just transferred money for new phones, I know that of which I speak. This is a miserable obsession - look around your home, and ask how many TVs/fridges/microwaves you have. Even if you have a speaker rig, do you have 20 sets of speakers ?

Stop the planet - I really need to get off.   :wink:

I know - that reminds me, I should REALLY stop coming here
blink.gif

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 11
@Scribblenaut

List of favorite music genres or examples of artists that you listen to rough order of importance.

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #8 of 11
^This. There isn't a perfect pair of headphones for everyone - and I know you could say that about anything, but it's really true. For example you asked about open headphones which are more detailed, airy (with less of a 'veiled' sound) and bright than closed headphones. They also don't isolate as well, of course. Coming from the Maracas which I recall as sounding very bassy, you might not be that impressed. So what do you listen to after all?

Also, whenever someone asks about getting a first amp, if they use music from their computers, I recommend the Fiio E7. It's very cheap, sounds very good and it is a DAC and amp in one. The E7 + E9 is a good combo (and I'm trying to restrain myself from recommending getting the E7 + NwAvGuy's O2).

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
4. Sub-$100 amp - Fiio E10, released any day now. Plugs into your laptop via USB and the difference between that and the headphone out should put a smile on your face, even in these difficult economic times.

It just shows what a cult following Fiio has when people are recommending products they haven't heard and aren't even out yet.

What sort of music do you listen too Scribblenaut? Do you prefer the cinematic experience with emphatic bass or a more intimate acoustic encounter?

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
It just shows what a cult following Fiio has when people are recommending products they haven't heard and aren't even out yet.

Happy to hear alternative DAC/amp suggestions for under a hundred dollars. Plenty of DiY CMOYs, but not too many USB DACs around for that kind of money. Sure, basing my comments on Mike's review is quite premature, but you can rest assured that I will have one just as soon as Fiio get off their butts and ship the thing ....

http://www.headfonia.com/the-latest-must-have-the-fiio-e10-usb-dacamp/

$84.50 MSRP - less for the preorder faithful:

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/fiio-e10-usb-dac-amp-96k24bit-preorder-2-p-653.html

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Happy to hear alternative DAC/amp suggestions for under a hundred dollars. Plenty of DiY CMOYs, but not too many USB DACs around for that kind of money. Sure, basing my comments on Mike's review is quite premature, but you can rest assured that I will have one just as soon as Fiio get off their butts and ship the thing ....

http://www.headfonia.com/the-latest-must-have-the-fiio-e10-usb-dacamp/

$84.50 MSRP - less for the preorder faithful:

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/fiio-e10-usb-dac-amp-96k24bit-preorder-2-p-653.html

Out of interest do headfonia have a bad review of anything? I'll keep it short as not to derail this thread but as with any op-amp based device you are listening to the chip rather than the 'device'. That said for $85 it's hard to beat, I might have to check it out.

In the past I've recommended the Zero DAC/amp which can be had for around $120 used, identical to the much loved Yulong D100. As with the majority of these hybrid devices you can power most headphones, save for the likes of demanding 600Ohm headphones and orthos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back