New to high end IEM's, and a little disappointed
Feb 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #16 of 33
  Pro30 would be a bad choice for first high end IEM coming from headphones.  Its a dramatic change being very closed in and inyourface sounding.  I bet you would have a whole different outlook with something more open and much larger soundstage like W40

That is most likely true to be fair. I mean, I have used IEM's before, but only cheap stuff like the CX300 and some crappy Sony for £25.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #19 of 33
Truly high end iems are the 1plus2, TG334, IE800, AKG3003, UM Mentor, Roxanne, Ocharaku Kaede, Shure SE846, etc.

So, is the definition of "high end" just "expensive", or "expensive compared to the average"? Or, is it about the actual sound? I personally believe, and have personally heard equipment that I consider high end that is very reasonable, if not downright cheap. Conversely, I have heard high end designated items that sound very low end and almost laughably so. Granted, for whatever reason, that seems to happen on the home audio side much more often than the headphone side.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #20 of 33
With all of the competition and constant reviews and comparisons on this forum, I don't worry much about earphone price to performance value. If a $100 earphone bested a $1000 earphone, it would be "front page" news around here.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #21 of 33
So, is the definition of "high end" just "expensive", or "expensive compared to the average"? Or, is it about the actual sound? I personally believe, and have personally heard equipment that I consider high end that is very reasonable, if not downright cheap. Conversely, I have heard high end designated items that sound very low end and almost laughably so. Granted, for whatever reason, that seems to happen on the home audio side much more often than the headphone side.
Well I am always skeptical on "giant killers" also. The only thing I can tell you is that these iems sound really great. But it is totally possible that some 300-500$ iems, such as the FA4 could sound as good or better than some of these, to some people.

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #22 of 33
Well I am always skeptical on "giant killers" also. The only thing I can tell you is that these iems sound really great. But it is totally possible that some 300-500$ iems, such as the FA4 could sound as good or better than some of these, to some people.

I am as well. In headphones you generally pay for what you get, but if I can achieve 95% of the sound quality for 50% of the price, I'm there. The Law of Diminishing Returns is alive and well in audio.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #23 of 33
  I am as well. In headphones you generally pay for what you get, but if I can achieve 95% of the sound quality for 50% of the price, I'm there. The Law of Diminishing Returns is alive and well in audio.

Diminishing returns cannot apply more to audio than it does. Sure, stepping from $50 to $300 will yield extremely large changes in quality, but a leap from $500 to $1000 may lead to a tiny change in quality. It's just the matter of finding the best value products.

On another note, I think the Westones are growing on me. With a treble boost either on my phone or the Fiio, they are beginning to sound more like what I expected. Likely to keep them.

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #26 of 33
I have the X1 and it's my main headphones and I do agree with you. I have the same problem and I feel the IEMs can't deliver the same "big" sound we're used to. 
I tried westone's w4r, Shure SE535 and I was quite disappointed with them.
As earphones on their own, they actually sound quite good, but the disappointment comes from the price that were tagged with them. 

Personally, I think it's not worth going for "high-end" universals. Either go for mid-range universals or go customs.

If you want an IEM that has a strong bass presence while maintaining mid and high details like the fidelio X1 I highly recommend the ATH-IM70. It's my current favourite IEM and it's only $100 ish.

I'm not saying the IM70 is better than the w4r / se535, but I think it's a better buy as if you do like it, it will be a bargain and if you happen to not like it, you won't lose as much money. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #27 of 33
Thanks for the advice. Will take a loo at the IM70's.

As you say, the high-end Westones/Shures etc are not BAD sounding and they actually do sound pretty good. It's just that for £300, I could buy TWO X1's, or THREE Beyer DT770's. I guess there is no value for money when it comes to expensive IEM's.

Realistically, I would pay no more than £150 for them. I guess I'm just different to most people when it comes to dashing out money for marginal increases in sound quality.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #28 of 33
Thanks much for the suggestions. I will look at some dynamic driver IEM's as long as they isolate well which for me is one of the most important things when considering them. Will also take a look at some cheaper options too.

Never heard of the Dunu hybrids. Can you even get them in the UK? Also, returning the W30's for me is not an issue as I bought them via Amazon. I still love their isolation and comfort. Maybe the sound will grow on me.

Try the MDR-7550s.   I'm not an IEM expert but the 7550s are the closest to a full-sized can that I've heard (wide soundstage...very good bass...incredible comfort).

Now, if the MDR-7550 is so good, and it is only a mid-tier IEM, I'm sure that you will find something you like sooner or later. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #29 of 33
A switch to a dynamic driver IEM like the IM70 or 7550 might be able to somewhat replicate the type of sounds the TS enjoyed from his headphones, but found missing from his new BA IEMs. A dark BA like the UM Pro 30 is a different experience technically. Soundstage is closed in and there isn't a lot of air being bandied about. Eventually he may come to love the sound a monitor makes, but the transition he made going from X1 to Pro 30 was a pretty stark one.

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #30 of 33
  A switch to a dynamic driver IEM like the IM70 or 7550 might be able to somewhat replicate the type of sounds the TS enjoyed from his headphones, but found missing from his new BA IEMs. A dark BA like the UM Pro 30 is a different experience technically. Soundstage is closed in and there isn't a lot of air being bandied about. Eventually he may come to love the sound a monitor makes, but the transition he made going from X1 to Pro 30 was a pretty stark one.

A very well said assessment!

One of the reasons as to why I was forced to go down the route of the Westones and make that transition is simply because of their availability. I did not want to order other suggested IEM's that I found people raving about from the US eBay and other US websites due to difficulties with returns and the general PITA of ordering from US, so as you can see my choice was not purely based on the sound.

I have come to simply accept that BA IEM's are different to dynamic drivers.

Still, I think a pair of Sennheiser IE80's might be on the table next... Damn it's true what they say about the wallet :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back