New To Full Size Closed Cans, Need Recommendations
Mar 30, 2011 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tonyfiore75

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I've been around these forums for some time now but really only in the IEM world. I have some Sennheiser HD600s that I really enjoy at home, but as you all know they are open headphones. I was looking to see what you'd all recommend for something similar in price (perhaps a little cheaper), sound quality, comfort, etc. I plan in using them for commuting so I don't want other people hearing what I'm listening to (I'm on a very quiet bus for an hour).

I really don't know where to begin my search except for the fact that I really like my HD600s a lot. $200-$300 would be ideal but I can be flexible with the price. I listen to a wide variety of music but I'd say my main genre would be classic rock/prog rock.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

-TF

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 13
Good choice. The only thing to be wary about with the 25s is the fact that depending on head size they can be brutal.

My head was too big and the smashed it into oblivion. I now own the TMA-1s, and it was a great trade off for me.

Someone will inevitably recommend the M50, which honestly isn't a bad choice either.

For you music preference I'd suggest either the 25-1 IIs, or the M50. The TMA-1 is extremely dark and needs some EQ tweaking to really make rock sound good.

Quote:
By the way, I'm currently looking at the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II as a possible option.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 13
Well thanks for the suggestions and advice. I have a relatively "normal" sized head as far as I can tell. From my baseball playing days (fitted hats) my cap size was 7 1/8 or a tad larger. The HD25s may have to be bought. Is there any recommended seller?

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 13

Don't think that they're different, although be careful. If it's not covered by Amazon I'm always a little wary.
Quote:

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 13
You could try the Fischer Audio FA-003, which have a very similar sound signature to the HD600s

You can get em for around $175 new too, even cheaper if you find one on the FS forum.

They isolate pretty well and are comfortable and very light.

Only problem is they are kinda big, so if you care about looks at all then you might not like them lol

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else care to chime in with some more suggestions in and around this price range? I'm leaning towards the HD25s but have seen numerous reviews saying that they WERE the choice of old but that there are many newer cans that best them. Like I said, I'm relatively new to the full size headphone thing and I'm just trying to weigh the best options. Thanks in advance

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #12 of 13
I don't think you'll like the HD25. They're nothing like the HD600. They're too bassy, too warm, too uncomfortable and have a cramped soundstage.

However, it's always best to try for yourself. Just make sure you can make use of the return policy. Good luck!

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #13 of 13
Not to split hairs, but I would not consider the HD25 to be "full size," (closed, yes, and great-sounding, but not full-size).  They sit on the ear rather than around it, which is probably why some people find it uncomfortable.  Since no one else has thrown out any Beyerdynamic love, how about the DT770  ($250) or the DT770-pro ($180)?  These are large (too large for portability, maybe?), comfy, around the ear, closed cans.  If you are in NYC, you can hear them down at J&R Music World near city hall.  For smaller, on-ear, closed cans, Beyer has the T50P for $300, but I have heard that they are redesigning the headband to address customer complaints (and I don't think the new one is out yet), and the new DT1350 is coming soon too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back