NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Oct 12, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #2,491 of 4,019
Quote:
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/Z1060/Z1060TF10.htm
^anyone else seen this? It looks pretty absurd, given that the Z1060 and F806 I listened to sounded nothing like that.

Hmm, not again, there must at least be 100 over people posting that link on this thread.

As to whether the Z is that bad in the tests, it's debatable, the one used in the rest is the EU ver., which is known to be inferior in the way that it is more treble focused. Whether it's true or not is still unknown, but for all we know, adding resistance to an earphone does most of the time focus more on the treble, so that may be the same case with the Z, making it come out bad in the tests.

Although personally, my Z sounds very good, miles ahead of the iPod Nano 4G that I have, in almost every way, but YMMV. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #2,492 of 4,019
As to whether the Z is that bad in the tests, it's debatable, the one used in the rest is the EU ver., which is known to be inferior in the way that it is more treble focused. Whether it's true or not is still unknown, but for all we know, adding resistance to an earphone does most of the time focus more on the treble, so that may be the same case with the Z, making it come out bad in the tests.

After encountering that test result I googled it a bit more and encountered discussion about in it in this very same thread... ha.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was an European unit, given the name of the tester (sounds Swede off the top of my head).

Anyhow, the F806 sounded quite like my S739F but with a significantly better sparkle to certain kinds of electro-tones and overall I did like the experience.
It's just that I'm curious as to what could have caused the tested unit to deliver such a result and, again, I want to see an international unit's scientific numbers.

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #2,493 of 4,019
Quote:
After encountering that test result I googled it a bit more and encountered discussion about in it in this very same thread... ha.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was an European unit, given the name of the tester (sounds Swede off the top of my head).
Anyhow, the F806 sounded quite like my S739F but with a significantly better sparkle to certain kinds of electro-tones and overall I did like the experience.
It's just that I'm curious as to what could have caused the tested unit to deliver such a result and, again, I want to see an international unit's scientific numbers.

Well, someone mentioned that his unit was an EU one. (although I can't remember who)

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #2,494 of 4,019
Quote:

a lot of replies got deleted (I got banned for a week)... it was a pathetic attempt by iDevice users to derail what is otherwise a fantastic informative thread... it's starting in the WM-F thread with the little snide/snipping remarks, guess it's hard to take when something sounds better than what you own... could it be jealousy at seeing a group of Head-Fi'ers enjoying their purchases ?... who knows their motives for such an agenda.

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #2,495 of 4,019
Quote:

a lot of replies got deleted (I got banned for a week)... it was a pathetic attempt by iDevice users to derail what is otherwise a fantastic informative thread... it's starting in the WM-F thread with the little snide/snipping remarks, guess it's hard to take when something sounds better than what you own... could it be jealousy at seeing a group of Head-Fi'ers enjoying their purchases ?... who knows their motives for such an agenda.

A true soldier, fighting for a true cause...go OK-Guy, we need more fighters like you....

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #2,497 of 4,019
I don't have the Z for now, I am still waiting the update before I purchase it.
Also waiting Turok's impressions about his F807 Gun metal edition.

I want the gunmetal one so bad.

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #2,498 of 4,019
Quote:

You see, didn't I warn about staying here....
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #2,499 of 4,019
You see, didn't I warn about staying here....:evil: .

Darn you, fi-demon! Sony, for not selling me one!

I wonder what options i have after-market for customizing these Walkmans though. Since the F800s has a flat back unlike the Z1000s, it'd be easier to get it engraved, etched or painted.

Do you guys with Zs ever play games on your Z1000s? Maybe try out the Playstation Suite? I always reasoned the Z1000 would be absolutely perfect in landscape mode, the curved back makes it very two-handed friendly.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #2,500 of 4,019
Quote:
Hmm, not again, there must at least be 100 over people posting that link on this thread.

Although personally, my Z sounds very good, miles ahead of the iPod Nano 4G that I have, in almost every way, but YMMV. 

I'm just going to mention this again that the EU unit that I have did not sound as good as the US/Japan version of the A86x series and noticeably inferior.  I had three players (A865 US, EU, & Asia) compared side-by-side as well as having the iPod Touch 4G. Sony X1060, and Z1060 (US version) as a benchmark.  The listening comparison was done using same materials, volume matched, and Shure SE535 & JH13pro as IEM of choice.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #2,501 of 4,019
Quote:
I don't have the Z for now, I am still waiting the update before I purchase it.
Also waiting Turok's impressions about his F807 Gun metal edition.

Turok knows his stuff, his views are well valid... keep posting Pondu don't matter that you ain't got one yet mate, I was a couple of months in this thread before I got my hands on a WM-Z but what I learned in that time was invaluable.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #2,502 of 4,019
Quote:
Do you guys with Zs ever play games on your Z1000s? Maybe try out the Playstation Suite? I always reasoned the Z1000 would be absolutely perfect in landscape mode, the curved back makes it very two-handed friendly.

I play the occassional game on the "Z". Works great and very fluid with the Tegra 2 chip.  Though, when I want to really start gaming... I head over to the PS Vita (if I can get it out of my son's hands).

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #2,503 of 4,019
Quote:

Arf, I believe you, the device is really nice in that colour.Unfortunately my purse does not allow me to purchase both (the Z and the F),  so  the choice will be painfull.

Quote:

Turok knows his stuff, his views are well valid... keep posting Pondu don't matter that you ain't got one yet mate, I was a couple of months in this thread before I got my hands on a WM-Z but what I learned in that time was invaluable.

Thanks a lot. To be honest, all of you guys are doing a great job here, I can feel the passion everywhere in this thread.
When I first read [size=17.77777862548828px]ArqDTX26[/size]'s excellent review, it was just in order to find some informations about and Android device.
But it convinced me to dig into the thread (at the time 150 pages), and the more I was reading, the more it became obvious that I would buy the Z.
For nearly two years now, I've been searchig the ultimate device, that would be able to suit all my music tastes, for a (and I insist) good price.
Well, because of you, I gave up the requirement concerning the price, but thanks to you I hope I (finally) found the device I was looking for.

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #2,505 of 4,019
Quote:
Arf, I believe you, the device is really nice in that colour.Unfortunately my purse does not allow me to purchase both (the Z and the F),  so  the choice will be painfull.

Thanks a lot. To be honest, all of you guys are doing a great job here, I can feel the passion everywhere in this thread.
When I first read [size=17.77px]ArqDTX26[/size]'s excellent review, it was just in order to find some informations about and Android device.
But it convinced me to dig into the thread (at the time 150 pages), and the more I was reading, the more it became obvious that I would buy the Z.
For nearly two years now, I've been searchig the ultimate device, that would be able to suit all my music tastes, for a (and I insist) good price.
Well, because of you, I gave up the requirement concerning the price, but thanks to you I hope I (finally) found the device I was looking for.

I feel the same sentiments Pondu... without this thread and the grateful help I've received from fellow Head-Fi'ers I would of never invested my hard earned sobs into a WM-Z.

even my pursuit of decent headphones answer came from this thread, the pairing I'm blessed with suits my needs completely, there's some very knowledgeable people in this thread who giving stirling help & advice.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back