NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Oct 10, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #2,461 of 4,019
Quote:
Given that the F806 I just ordered is physically twice as heavy and larger than my incumbent S739F, I don't really want to carry an extra amp or have the LOD around.

looks like you'd of major problems lugging around the old Sports Cassette Walkman's of yesteryear... ever thought of going to the gym and getting some muscles ?...
wink_face.gif

ps... you maybe answering your own questions... you don't need to amp the WM-Z (or WM-F)

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #2,462 of 4,019
The "Z" from headphone out isn't anywhere near a flat line plot.  It seems to have a "tube like" sound to it that I'm extremely fond of.  With the line-out, you lose that EQing that the headphone out gives and you get a more linear, "flat" plot and it sounds more like an iPod (though still better in my opinion).  This allows the "amp" to change the sound more so than the player itself.

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #2,463 of 4,019
looks like you'd of major problems lugging around the old Sports Cassette Walkman's of yesteryear... ever thought of going to the gym and getting some muscles ?... :wink_face:

ps... you maybe answering your own questions... you don't need to amp the WM-Z (or WM-F)

I already carry as many as six electronic devices around. I don't want to increase that number. It's not so much a matter of how heavy they are, it's carrying more volume around.
Smartphone, Walkman, PS Vita, PSP, Vita's external battery, iPad, an Alienware... etc.

The "Z" from headphone out isn't anywhere near a flat line plot. It seems to have a "tube like" sound to it that I'm extremely fond of. With the line-out, you lose that EQing that the headphone out gives and you get a more linear, "flat" plot and it sounds more like an iPod (though still better in my opinion). This allows the "amp" to change the sound more so than the player itself.

That explains a lot more, I've mainly been wondering what the difference between using the headphone out and a LOD would be. I enjoy a mild-V shape too, myself.

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #2,464 of 4,019
Quote:
I already carry as many as six electronic devices around. I don't want to increase that number. It's not so much a matter of how heavy they are, it's carrying more volume around.
Smartphone, Walkman, PS Vita, PSP, Vita's external battery, iPad, an Alienware... etc.

scrub the gym idea... buy a fork-lift truck.
wink_face.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #2,465 of 4,019
is the TTVJ slim as long as the Z? or is it a few cm shorter?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584479/new-sony-walkman-z-series-mini-review/300#post_8136273

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584479/new-sony-walkman-z-series-mini-review/435

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #2,466 of 4,019
@salanos, when connecting an external amp to your player thru the headphone jack, you are double amping, and for me its bad..as it colors the sound too much!

Using the wm-lod , it will surpass the amp of the player and only use its dac...so this should be the best way to amp your player...

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #2,467 of 4,019
Quote:
The "Z" from headphone out isn't anywhere near a flat line plot.  It seems to have a "tube like" sound to it that I'm extremely fond of.  With the line-out, you lose that EQing that the headphone out gives and you get a more linear, "flat" plot and it sounds more like an iPod (though still better in my opinion).  This allows the "amp" to change the sound more so than the player itself.

I felt the same way about the A-series that I had. 

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #2,468 of 4,019
@salanos, when connecting an external amp to your player, you are double amping, and for me its bad..as it colors the sound too much!
Using the wm-lod , it will surpass the amp of the player and only use its dac...so this should be the best way to amp your player...

That was what I was thinking...
Well, yeah. That clears things up a lot.

Oh yeah, portable amp = more cables dangling about, and more things to charge/monitor batteries for and more money to spend ==;

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #2,470 of 4,019
Those links that Turokrocks linked to though... indicated 24bit playing on the "Z"... if I read that correctly... "HOW!"?  I want!

...No you must have misunderstood.
If only...:wink:

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #2,471 of 4,019
That was what I was thinking...
Well, yeah. That clears things up a lot.
Oh yeah, portable amp = more cables dangling about, and more things to charge/monitor batteries for and more money to spend ==;

...."...More money to spend"....as I said....welcome to head-fi...its only the beginning.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #2,473 of 4,019
...."...More money to spend"....as I said....welcome to head-fi...its only the beginning.

nononononononono.
I already spent ∞% more money than I was supposed to on audio gear
I have a GK110 and monitor to pay for

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #2,475 of 4,019
forget about buying a monitor you don't really need one, you can use the one on your new Walkman instead... buy the Amp, you know you wanna :wink_face:

Nononononononono.
Besides, I'm getting my friend's old FiiO (a E11, I think). At some point, anyway, when he buys a new amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back