NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Jun 3, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #1,921 of 4,019
Quote:
About time someone was, last few pages have been like watching pre-school kids at times arguing in perpetual motion, surprised it got this far... maybe this thread can go back on topic rather than just bickering about who's got a bigger boat. 

Anyway, I wanted to originally say to get back on topic if anyone else finds who has the Japanese Z with latest firmware update if their o/s a bit laggy at times? 

Have experienced stock music player slow/ delayed to open sometimes and WI-FI can be a bit slow to launch and has once failed to engage when turned on so had to switch off and back on to re-fresh it.

Have had the WI-FI once in a while drop all together and the side Walkman button to engage playback screen when locked is still all over the place with delay in the playback screen coming on and then when it does disappears to fast. 

Hoping there is another update coming sooner rather than later. 

Well, it's android, so I'm thinking that's normal. I do find lag in my Japanese Z at times too. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #1,922 of 4,019
Quote:

No Sony for me. My next buy will be an iPod Classic.

Well then get off this thread and go buy yourself a poor sounding device and might as well pair it with a pair of Beats by Dre. 

A white pair of course.

On another note - 

I have also been experiencing a few lags here and there. Nothing major - the stock audio player just froze a few times and that's about it.

Have any of you guys rooted your Zs? 

I love the thing too much but I would love to get rid of some stock applications.

Jun 3, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #1,923 of 4,019
Quote:
Well then get off this thread and go buy yourself a poor sounding device and might as well pair it with a pair of Beats by Dre. 

A white pair of course.

On another note - 

I have also been experiencing a few lags here and there. Nothing major - the stock audio player just froze a few times and that's about it.

Have any of you guys rooted your Zs? 

I love the thing too much but I would love to get rid of some stock applications.

I do not own any Android device, but not a long time ago I saw this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHoG6_XLv4s&feature=plcp

Maybe it will help a little.

Jun 3, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #1,924 of 4,019
Thanks Aelavin. I've checked that out as well but I'm not sure if it's worth doing. My prime usage of the Z is to listen to music. 

Occasionally check my email on it and that's about it.

Just wanted to know if anyone has done it and if they have, for what reason.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #1,925 of 4,019
Quote:

It seems that most of the Z owners on this thread are only capable of posting demeaning and derogatory remarks on other products as well as on other members.

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #1,926 of 4,019
Quote:

It seems that most of the Z owners on this thread are only capable of posting demeaning and derogatory remarks on other products as well as on other members.

I apologise for replying so late  but I really do not want to start this again. I think you got enough crap from everyone else and you have explained yourself. 

Let's just let this thread continue with it's purpose.

And as for your comment, my remark was, is and will be my opinion. I just found that your comment was inappropriately placed, that's all. Simply because this thread was meant to be about the Sony Walkman Z series and nothing to do with any other product.

Either way, enjoy your iPod.

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #1,927 of 4,019
Quote:

And it also seems that most Z-antis around here are only capable of saying how overpriced the machine is and how much better the iPods, Cowons and DX100s are. 

I also feel that with the DX100, it's 3x more expensive than the Z, of course it would sound better, but not 3x more, as we all know about the laws of diminishing returns. But the much laggier interface makes it a bigger put off than the Z ever would. Therefore, saying the DX100 is better than the Z is a misleading statement, as they are both marketed for different things. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #1,928 of 4,019
Quote:
And it also seems that most Z-antis around here are only capable of saying how overpriced the machine is and how much better the iPods, Cowons and DX100s are. 

I also feel that with the DX100, it's 3x more expensive than the Z, of course it would sound better, but not 3x more, as we all know about the laws of diminishing returns. But the much laggier interface makes it a bigger put off than the Z ever would. Therefore, saying the DX100 is better than the Z is a misleading statement, as they are both marketed for different things. 

By your same argument, the Z is 3x more expensive than my Sony Xperia mobile phone (also runs android) but it will certainly not sound 3x better.

I can do the same iteration over and over for other products. In the end, perhaps the Sansa clip+ may give us the best bang for buck.

I don't think that anyone did argued that the DX100 is better than the Z in all areas.

But why do you like to compare the Z with the DX100 so much? I was talking about the iPod. The one made by Apple.

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #1,930 of 4,019
Quote:

By your same argument, the Z is 3x more expensive than my Sony Xperia mobile phone (also runs android) but it will certainly not sound 3x better.

I can do the same iteration over and over for other products. In the end, perhaps the Sansa clip+ may give us the best bang for buck.

I don't think that anyone did argued that the DX100 is better than the Z in all areas.

But why do you like to compare the Z with the DX100 so much? I was talking about the iPod. The one made by Apple.

Really? Because the Z is the same price as any Xperia phone in my country, and what? It's processor is 2x faster than any Xperia phone that is cheaper, and the Xperia S, being slightly faster, is 2x more expensive. So you really should do some research before putting comments that aren't true. You know sound isn't the only thing that plays a part, but the speed, screen resolution etc. too. And I also found it an excuse that while the DX100 is 3x more expensive, it's 2x slower. 

Yes, the sansa clip+ in a bang-for-buck, but can it do what the Z can other than playing music? Heck, it can't even play videos. 

Why I compare the Z to the DX100 is because most Z-haters are doing so. And yes, the iPod touch is overall cheaper, but on the other hand, it's processor is also slower, so why are you not looking at those facts and only taking in the ones about how the sound sucks? 

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #1,931 of 4,019
Quote:
Really? Because the Z is the same price as any Xperia phone in my country, and what? It's processor is 2x faster than any Xperia phone that is cheaper, and the Xperia S, being slightly faster, is 2x more expensive. So you really should do some research before putting comments that aren't true. You know sound isn't the only thing that plays a part, but the speed, screen resolution etc. too. And I also found it an excuse that while the DX100 is 3x more expensive, it's 2x slower.

All I can say is that I am sorry that the Xperia phone costs that much in your country.

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #1,932 of 4,019
Quote:

All I can say is that I am sorry that the Xperia phone costs that much in your country.

And what phone were you talking about? Xperia X8? You know that is almost like 4x slower and does not even support multi-touch... And no, I don't think it is only in my country, it's about the same price on eBay, too. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #1,933 of 4,019
IMHO, if this thread continues it's path, it's better off locked - which will benefit no one. My interpretation of this thread in the past few pages is that the loudest speakers are more engrossed own owning this thread and kicking others out than about the talking about the product itself. This thread has started off as a review thread...it's not a "fan thread", not a "troll thread", and it's definitely not about "my opinion is better than yours" thread. Let's stick to the topic and talk about the product so others (current and potential owners) can learn.

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #1,934 of 4,019
Quote:
I'd love to compile a list of full-size headphones that head-fier's are using with the Z. Perhaps anyone who wishes to participate could PM me (rather than litter the thread) with the model and their opinion as to the volume-level they use for normal listening. Referring to the HO rather than LO.

Also, has anyone used the ATH-ES10 with the Sony?

Thanks in advance.

If it helps my friend uses his Z player with the ES10 and he says that it is fantastic. ES10s are very easy to drive anyway.

Anyways to get the discussion on track, heres what I like about the Z

Big screen,
DSP options, very flexible with what I want in the sound stock compared to many other players.
Nice sound, nicer than the Ipod 3g HO at least
Very cool user interface

What I don't like,
No SD card slot
Pretty high price to get it where I live.

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #1,935 of 4,019
Quote:
IMHO, if this thread continues it's path, it's better off locked - which will benefit no one. My interpretation of this thread in the past few pages is that the loudest speakers are more engrossed own owning this thread and kicking others out than about the talking about the product itself. This thread has started off as a review thread...it's not a "fan thread", not a "troll thread", and it's definitely not about "my opinion is better than yours" thread. Let's stick to the topic and talk about the product so others (current and potential owners) can learn.

We're talking about the value here, so how is it not related to the Z?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back