NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Mar 14, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #661 of 4,019

Quote:
My stereo deck has USB Direct Control so I just control the Walkman via my deck. The sound difference between USB and the AUX ports are miles apart. Crutchfield explains why: "The music signal remains in a digital form until it gets converted into an analog signal by your stereo, so no unnecessary manipulations are made to it. USB doesn't limit the frequency response or signal-to-noise ratio of the music, so what you hear is exactly what you have stored on your music device. It would seem that auxiliary and USB inputs should deliver the same quality of sound, but frequently, they don't. One reason is the difference between the digital-to-analog converter (DAC) in your stereo compared to the converter in your music player. The DAC in the stereo is going to be superior to the one in the music player because car stereos have the power and speakers required for bigger, better sound, so the DAC has to be able to reproduce a high-quality signal. Portable music players on the other hand, are designed to make small earphones sound pretty good. When you use your music player's headphone jack to connect to your stereo, that means you're using the music player's DAC, so the music isn't going to sound as good as it would if you can connect via USB."

Thanks for your reply DigitalCurator. I'm well aware of the advantages of connecting a DAP via USB. Connecting it via USB to a home stereo, bypassing the internal DAC, may indeed improve sound quality (However I'm not sure the DAC of a car stereo would always be superior to the DAC of the DAP. Having to power speakers seems more a matter of amplifying than a matter of digital-to-analog-conversion. Connecting it via USB will definitely have less distortion than connecting it via AUX however.)

I was just surprised that the Sony Z series walkman seems to support this feature as it is Android operated and 'stock' Android does not support audio over USB.
My HTC Desire S phone e.g. has Android 2.3.5 and does not support audio via USB. In fact 'stock' Android 4.0 "ICS" still does not seem to support audio over USB (there is a thread about this requesting Google to add this feature). Apparently Sony modified the Android version  they put on the Z in order to support audio over USB.

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #662 of 4,019
OK head-fi'ers here's your chance to blow £200 ($300) out of my wallet.... need a headphone upgrade for the NW-Z (another one)..... currently running Sony Walkman MDR-EX510LP (IEM) and Audio Tecnica ATH-ES7 (both for sale if anyones interested), Sony's are 3months old but have only been used for 2wks, AT's are 3wks old....

I'm looking for a closed back headphone that I can use outside as well as in (can't be see to make me look a gormless geek, so big ones are out).... must be detailed & have decent bass (not big bass).... max budget is $350 but would prefer it to be in the region of $300..... your suggestions please (most helpful will receive a free pack of 'RCA End-Caps' from me for their hi-fi, head-amp set-up, see them in ebay).

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #663 of 4,019

Quote:
OK head-fi'ers here's your chance to blow £200 ($300) out of my wallet.... need a headphone upgrade for the NW-Z (another one)..... currently running Sony Walkman MDR-EX510LP (IEM) and Audio Tecnica ATH-ES7 (both for sale if anyones interested), Sony's are 3months old but have only been used for 2wks, AT's are 3wks old....

I'm looking for a closed back headphone that I can use outside as well as in (can't be see to make me look a gormless geek, so big ones are out).... must be detailed & have decent bass (not big bass).... max budget is $350 but would prefer it to be in the region of $300..... your suggestions please (most helpful will receive a free pack of 'RCA End-Caps' from me for their hi-fi, head-amp set-up, see them in ebay).

You may want to consider the new Sennheiser Amperior or the Sony Z1000.

I am personally interested in the Sennheiser Amperior myself.

Cheaper alternatives would be the Beyerdynamic DT1350/Audio Technica ESW9/V-Moda M-80

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #665 of 4,019

Quote:
thanks for that Lover...[snip!!]

Everytime I see uelover called that it gives me the chills. Can't you all just call him "uel" or ueor something :wink:??

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #666 of 4,019

Quote:
thanks for that Lover (reliable as ever)..... what's your thoughts on the Senn' HD-25's ?.... these have been recomended by a friend (he has them but he aint no audiophile more a 'I wanna go deaf in a year merchant).

Amperior is an upgraded version of the HD-25. It really looks cool. HD-25 sounds accurate and balanced while ATH ESW9 sounds more seductive.

Quote:
Everytime I see uelover called that it gives me the chills. Can't you all just call him "uel" or ueor something :wink:??

The heart shape is too difficult to type out. Maybe UE alone will work.
wink_face.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #667 of 4,019
Quote: Originally Posted by OK-Guy  thanks for that Lover...[snip!!]   Everytime I see uelover called that it gives me the chills. Can't you all just call him "uel" or ue

Jealous :p

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #668 of 4,019
Stupid tapatalk

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #669 of 4,019
...ok, so... should I return my iPod 6G and pick up the Walkman Z (my return window is getting shorter)?  The iPod is currently feeding a D-Zero with PX200-II, but I'll be using my TripleFi10 soon.  Then eventually customs.  I'm hoping to not go with a 3 device transportable, as the iPod 6G and D-Zero are about as thick as I'd like to get.

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #670 of 4,019
...ok, so... should I return my iPod 6G and pick up the Walkman Z (my return window is getting shorter)?  The iPod is currently feeding a D-Zero with PX200-II, but I'll be using my TripleFi10 soon.  Then eventually customs.  I'm hoping to not go with a 3 device transportable, as the iPod 6G and D-Zero are about as thick as I'd like to get.

Have a test run on the z if you can, but I can tell you, you will never be disappointed:thumbup:

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #672 of 4,019
Mar 14, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #673 of 4,019
It's handy and easy to carry, and that's all to it. Better options when rockboxed.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #674 of 4,019
It's handy and easy to carry, and that's all to it. Better options when rockboxed.

I have a Clip Zip with Fiio E5... sounds decent when feeding my Klipsch S4, but it wouldn't replace my IPod. Good for a gym rig though.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #675 of 4,019
turokrocks said:
Have a test run on the z if you can, but I can tell you, you will never be disappointed:thumbup:

Unfortunately, I don't have ANY local stores that carry it. It's a definite Internet purchase... probably from Sony Store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back