NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Mar 10, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #601 of 4,019

Quote:
Although I'm not gonna buy the Z1070 (self-control!), places like BIC or Yodobashi sells them for approx Y42,000.

Online-wise you can find them for the Y31,xxx price range. I love using Kakaku for checking prices out.

But recently I've noticed -some- items are cheaper in PriceJapan than even what Kakaku can find (e.g. Accuphase components, Stax SR-009, or even the Fostex TH900). And I don't know how PriceJapan does it - as such I'm somewhat of a skeptic.

I went to check PriceJapan out.

Once you add in their service fees, I think Kakaku will still give you a cheaper price.

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #602 of 4,019
just ordered a 32gb from amazon uk. hopefully the volume cap will be something i won't need to worry about. if it is, it'll be going back to amazon and pricejapan will be my next route
smile.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #603 of 4,019
So I picked this up from the sony store in New York Yesterday,  like the sound.  been using both the stock player and poweramp.  only thing with poweramp, if i go out of the app or press the power button, there is very quick spike in the volume.  anyone else notice this?

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #604 of 4,019

Quote:
So I picked this up from the sony store in New York Yesterday,  like the sound.  been using both the stock player and poweramp.  only thing with poweramp, if i go out of the app or press the power button, there is very quick spike in the volume.  anyone else notice this?

Can you upload your Sony Z android rom ? I have the Japanese and would like to flash it with the US ROM.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #605 of 4,019
To Be honest i think sony have failed again.... When will they understand not to keep using us as test dumbies for their lame mp3 players this time its got android ... Their doing it all wrong. This wont sell good and will be discontinued before we know it.They need to understand the market their targeting doesnt want all this bs, and just make a mediocre player with android to go against the ipod for the masses not us

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #607 of 4,019

Quote:
To Be honest i think sony have failed again.... When will they understand not to keep using us as test dumbies for their lame mp3 players this time its got android ... Their doing it all wrong. This wont sell good and will be discontinued before we know it.They need to understand the market their targeting doesnt want all this bs, and just make a mediocre player with android to go against the ipod for the masses not us

please excuse me if I take a lil umbrage with your post (I take it from your informed view that you've owned and sold a WM-Z because of its lameness).....to call this a 'lame mp3 player' is a bit wide of the mark, I was fortunate to be with a couple of mates today one has a Apple i4s and the other has a ipod-touch. Both know I'm a bit of an audiophile (not a headofile, I'm a novice at this), now to cut a long story short I took my WM-Z with me (& cans), we hit a pub for a pint and proceeded to compare players (they were intrigued that I bought a WM-Z). Funny thing they were both Apple fanatics (iMac,iphone, iAir etc) and reckoned their devices would bury the WM-Z, I was the only one with headphones (AT-ES7's not high-end admittedly). the end result was both admitted that the WM-Z absolutely trounced their players sound quality wise so much so that one of my pals bought one tonight..... funny thing things not selling well, take the WM-X, most that own them on here wouldn't part with their DAP's, they are that highly regarded (no I never owned one)..... now having owned my WM-Z for approximately for 36hrs, I can honestly say I'm blown away with its sound quality (OK it may not be the best because I'm uploading into mp3-320k & not lossless), but for a portable device it's the dogs-bollox. I didn't buy this for the android bolt-on as I daresay the buyers of the iBasso-DAP didn't, its a hinderance imo but I would of still launched serious money at this player andriod or not.... would I sit indoors and listen to it with a £5k plus hi-fi in front of me, yes I would quite contentedly & happily, would I sell my hi-fi & live with the WM-Z in a happy marraige?, no of course not but you are looking at a £5k sound difference..... does this make this a mediocre DAP far from it, it is probably the best mass-market DAP on sale and will only be bettered by niche players(?) like iBasso etc costing twice the price.

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #608 of 4,019

Quote:
just ordered a 32gb from amazon uk. hopefully the volume cap will be something i won't need to worry about. if it is, it'll be going back to amazon and pricejapan will be my next route
smile.gif

Think you'll find it's ok, there's a positive review on Amazon regarding the volume cap.... I never required it at full volume when out walking to town earlier but mine aint a euro version... if it's at around 80% of my volume it'll probably be more than adequate.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #609 of 4,019
Despite your long reply i still think sony is going about this the wrong way, trying to compete with apple what are they thinking(yes the sony may have better SQ but overall it loses)as always try to compete or stay in the times without real ground wont go far, what sony needs to do is make a player which has better SQ than the X has somthing like apples genius not sense me which picks only a few songs, and finally support Flac without the need for android...am I asking too much ?

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #610 of 4,019
My opinion about Sony after living in Japan for 12 years - I don't think Sony cares about trying to compete with the iPod or Touch. Note that the NW-Z series was initially intended for the local JP market in the first place and only more recently the lower end models have been making it out to the foreign international market. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, anyone who wants the 64GB -still- have to find a parallel import service from Japan rather than leverage on their local Sony distributors.

Sony is merely continuing on what it has been doing since the early 80's - continuing on it's Walkman line.

In terms of the product itself, I really like the NW-Z series very very much. I've run around the stores in Tokyo listening from one demo station to another and at least to me, as a standalone player the Z beats the Touch/iPod -every- time. The only way for the Apple iPods to excel over the Z is the need for external DAC/Amp components.

The only factor holding me back from buying the Z is an emotional wife who's monitoring my spending (and I've decided to invest into the DX100 instead).

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #611 of 4,019

Quote:
My opinion about Sony after living in Japan for 12 years - I don't think Sony cares about trying to compete with the iPod or Touch. Note that the NW-Z series was initially intended for the local JP market in the first place and only more recently the lower end models have been making it out to the foreign international market. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, anyone who wants the 64GB -still- have to find a parallel import service from Japan rather than leverage on their local Sony distributors.

Sony is merely continuing on what it has been doing since the early 80's - continuing on it's Walkman line.

In terms of the product itself, I really like the NW-Z series very very much. I've run around the stores in Tokyo listening from one demo station to another and at least to me, as a standalone player the Z beats the Touch/iPod -every- time. The only way for the Apple iPods to excel over the Z is the need for external DAC/Amp components.

The only factor holding me back from buying the Z is an emotional wife who's monitoring my spending (and I've decided to invest into the DX100 instead).

I can see where Yo-Yo is coming from with Sony throwing-in Andriod to keep up with the Job's hype victims, there's some truth in that.... but as you say Sony is following the Walkman route, afterall this is first & foremost a music player and a pretty impressive one at that.... I'm not impressed with the touch-screen but only because I have large'ish fingers but I'm getting there with more error than trial which could of really put me off of this DAP but.... the sound of this with no enhancements is simply stunning.... I've got to get used to the screen before I attempt any form of minor adjustment, that said, I'm happy with it as it is, a first for a player for me..... I'd love to see Sony bring out DAP like this but as a truly dedicated music player, I like the size of the WM-Z though a few more physical buttons wouldn't go a miss (I like the size of the screen).

Seeing as you've done a lot of listening to the WM-Z perhaps when you get the iB you could give us a proper comparison music wise with regard to SQ.... 'Lover' has tweaked my interest in that DAP so it could be on a future upgrade list..... that said, you could always get rid of the wife and buy both, think about it.... a threesome, twice the pleasure, twice the fun.   

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #612 of 4,019

Quote:
I can see where Yo-Yo is coming from with Sony throwing-in Andriod to keep up with the Job's hype victims, there's some truth in that.... but as you say Sony is following the Walkman route, afterall this is first & foremost a music player and a pretty impressive one at that.... I'm not impressed with the touch-screen but only because I have large'ish fingers but I'm getting there with more error than trial which could of really put me off of this DAP but.... the sound of this with no enhancements is simply stunning.... I've got to get used to the screen before I attempt any form of minor adjustment, that said, I'm happy with it as it is, a first for a player for me..... I'd love to see Sony bring out DAP like this but as a truly dedicated music player, I like the size of the WM-Z though a few more physical buttons wouldn't go a miss (I like the size of the screen).

Seeing as you've done a lot of listening to the WM-Z perhaps when you get the iB you could give us a proper comparison music wise with regard to SQ.... 'Lover' has tweaked my interest in that DAP so it could be on a future upgrade list..... that said, you could always get rid of the wife and buy both, think about it.... a threesome, twice the pleasure, twice the fun.   

Who are you?

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #614 of 4,019
Mar 11, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #615 of 4,019
I want one bad, but not quite sure which one to pick:  The 1070 from Japan or 1060 form US Domestic market.  Pricejapan quoted me almost $550 to import the 1070 (64GB) from Japan, while the 1060 (32GB) will only cost $350 shipped in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back