NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Apr 15, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #1,321 of 4,019
Quite honestly, I might not get enough time with it stock to tell a difference... I'm already planning on how to tear it apart and do a "Toxic Cables" upgrade to it with a ViaBlue connector.  Much like I did for my Fiio L3 LOD. This time though, instead of 4, I think I'm going to do a 6 conductor round braid.

Quote:
Quote:

Great...thanks mate! 

Also would really love to hear your opinion weather the sound improves amped, I will be using IEM´s (CKS77 when they arrive next week) so dont need more juice or anything! 

I know it may be a bit early to decide now if you only got it yesterday...but initial impressions would be appreciated :D

Cheers 
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #1,322 of 4,019
Quote:
Quite honestly, I might not get enough time with it stock to tell a difference... I'm already planning on how to tear it apart and do a "Toxic Cables" upgrade to it with a ViaBlue connector.  Much like I did for my Fiio L3 LOD. This time though, instead of 4, I think I'm going to do a 6 conductor round braid.

Sounds good...please let me know if you think using an amp benefits the SQ...or just makes hard to drive cans better :D

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #1,325 of 4,019
Edit: Z no longer up for sale...who was i kidding I cant sell this! 
L3000.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #1,326 of 4,019
Question for Poweramp users... on the Z, if a song is playing and I interact with the program, say go into the library, enque a song, there will be a momentary burst in volume, as if some type of compression was lifted for a second or two.  Am I the only one experiencing this?  Use Poweramp on a few android devices, this is the first where this occurs

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #1,327 of 4,019
anyone used this with a pair of klipsch x10i? if so does the volume work ok? on some players because the x10i is meant to control an ithingy the sound is muted or only one channel is heard unless you hold the buttons down. Is this an issue on the z? the phones were fine through an amp but when fed straight form the player sometimes theres a problem, for me anyway, Wonder if the phones are a good match with this player as well?

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #1,328 of 4,019

It was happening to me as well.  I then switched to ALAC files, and I didn't notice it.  I ended up uninstalling it and went back to the stock player with 320kbps MP3 files.  Still searching for best MP3 setup (VBR or CBR).
Quote:
Question for Poweramp users... on the Z, if a song is playing and I interact with the program, say go into the library, enque a song, there will be a momentary burst in volume, as if some type of compression was lifted for a second or two.  Am I the only one experiencing this?  Use Poweramp on a few android devices, this is the first where this occurs

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #1,329 of 4,019

This is a common issue due to system sound. Disabling Direct Volume Control (DVC) in settings or system sounds in Android usually solve the problem.
Quote:

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #1,330 of 4,019
Just received the Z!  I find the sound similar to the J3 though and the only real difference is when I use my full size headphones and line out the device, then soundstage improves significantly.  To me, the stock player is the best as the others tend to muffle the sound in which the J3 wins in terms of clarity and cleaness of sound.  I find my J3 works better with IEMS becasue its such a silent player whereas the walkman hisses alot.  Does anyone else find that?  Also how do you make playlists with the stock player?  Thanks!

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #1,331 of 4,019
Weird 
confused.gif
 No hiss with any of my iems (BA or dynamic). I previously owned the S9, which is practically the same as J3, and I was surprised to find  that the iPod Touch 4g sounded better. And the Z is noticeably better than the Touch. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #1,333 of 4,019

Quote:
Just received the Z!  I find the sound similar to the J3 though and the only real difference is when I use my full size headphones and line out the device, then soundstage improves significantly.  To me, the stock player is the best as the others tend to muffle the sound in which the J3 wins in terms of clarity and cleaness of sound.  I find my J3 works better with IEMS becasue its such a silent player whereas the walkman hisses alot.  Does anyone else find that?  Also how do you make playlists with the stock player?  Thanks!

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????? The Sony Z i s the one of the most silent DAPs I ever listened to .
I have the J3 and the Z (and lots of high quality DAPs), but sorry to tell you, that if you can't hear a difference between them (Sony Z has better soundstage, vocals, trebles.., more fun) than there is something seriously wrong, with what, I have no idea!

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #1,334 of 4,019
i found the cowon interface extremely clunky to use. album art was a mess. nowhere near as pleasurable to use as on the z. i didn't even bother testing the audio capabilities after the interface nonsense! i know this is not important to some but to me it is
smile.gif

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #1,335 of 4,019

Quote:
I find my J3 works better with IEMS becasue its such a silent player whereas the walkman hisses alot.  Does anyone else find that?

never owned a Cowon but.... my WM-Z's never had any hiss whatsoever, that said, I found on some old soul had background noise, like a hiss but not if you get my drift. I figured this could be the 'air' around a mic or amp that you sometimes get when waiting for a voice or instrument to kick in, any background hiss(?) disappeared when the appropiate noise/voice filtered in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back