New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Aug 3, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #3,482 of 4,121
here from Sony
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...ers-nw-nwz-a-series/nw-a306/software/00292251

Firmware Update to Version 1.02.00
Applicable Model
This information is for the following models:

NW-A306
Note: Not all models are sold in all countries or regions.

About this download
Benefits and Improvements
Provides a Security update (The security level displayed in the Settings menu will be as of June 2023)
Improves general performance
IMPORTANT:
You will need to update both the Music Center for PC software and the Walkman firmware to the latest versions in order to improve connection stability. If either is not updated to the latest version, there is a possibility that the Music Center for PC software and Walkman device will not connect properly.
The date and time must be set correctly on the Walkman or the update notification may not appear. If they are not correct, set the date and time manually.
Previous Benefits and Improvements
The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.

Provides a Security update (The security level displayed in the Settings menu will be as of January 2023)
Reduces noise that can occur when playing music under specific conditions via a Bluetooth connection
Fixes the low-range frequency characteristics when music is played on wired headphones
File Info
File Version
Version 1.02.00
File Size
1 389 MB (1 457 037 904 bytes)
Release Date
03-08-2023

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #3,483 of 4,121
Hi all,
Does anyone know if you update the system will it bugger up anything such as the Developer Options mode that I've been into? Basically is it worth doing it? I've got the uncapped version.
Also separately has anyone tested the new Sony buds against any Bang and Olufsen Beoplay Ex's?
Regards Graham

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #3,484 of 4,121
Hi all,
Does anyone know if you update the system will it bugger up anything such as the Developer Options mode that I've been into? Basically is it worth doing it? I've got the uncapped version.
Also separately has anyone tested the new Sony buds against any Bang and Olufsen Beoplay Ex's?
Regards Graham
ive updated it. and the answer to the developer options is i dont know.

Sony say "improves general performance" but seems same to me. i guess its more secure with the patches.

i wish Sony would give us the option to change the gestures to swipe navigation without having to go thru the developer.

it seems with a player so small its the right thing to do.

very odd they removed it.

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #3,487 of 4,121
ive updated it. and the answer to the developer options is i dont know.

Sony say "improves general performance" but seems same to me. i guess its more secure with the patches.

i wish Sony would give us the option to change the gestures to swipe navigation without having to go thru the developer.

I am 100% sure it caused problems with the Walkman App which use gesture navigation. A lot of people would have been confused wanting to swipe down in the Walkman App but ending up minimizing the app.

Aug 3, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #3,488 of 4,121
I received my new WF-1000XM5s a couple of days ago and have been using with my A306. I cannot get LDAC 990 to work smoothly even with the A306 in my shirt pocket (i.e. quite close). Has anyone been able to get reasonably solid connections at 990 or am I expecting too much?

Nice!, do you have the XM4? just to ask you if it makes sense the upgrade (maybe you'll have a better opinion as soon as 990 works properly)

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #3,489 of 4,121

I completely agree. I will say I was able to enable the gestures navigation with an ADB desktop tool manually, if you’re willing to research the steps. I much rather prefer it this way and enjoy not having the buttons always showing along the bottom. Cleaner look overall.

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #3,490 of 4,121
Nice!, do you have the XM4? just to ask you if it makes sense the upgrade (maybe you'll have a better opinion as soon as 990 works properly)
I also have XM5. More balanced now, not as base heavy, more refined sound. Clearer mids.

I sold XM4 as a bit too large for me, I was fine with its sound for a bud. XM5 size/fit perfect for me without that feeling of filling the ear. Wearable all day.

I've personally no regrets getting the grey/white version on the XM5.

Have mine with Spinfit tips, not included ones.
20230801_144933.jpg20230801_144940.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #3,491 of 4,121

No, I don't have an XM4 so no comparison, sorry. I was hoping to get 990/909 with the A306 but no dice, at least with wifi on (and I generally stream these days)... Not a total waste though as LDAC best effort (adaptive) sounds good to me. Just one of those things where I wanted it to work at the highest quality, even though my ears aren't really that good... :wink:

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #3,493 of 4,121
How is the weight of the new XM5s when it comes to comfort. I may be interested in a set of wireless buds to go along with my iems and I like the price point for these. But always concerned with weight/comfort with wireless Bluetooth buds. I can only compare with my current iems. I have a pair of Fiio FH5S that were my first set and they are fairly bulky and heavier. Then I switched to a Sennheiser set and loved the lightweight comfort feeling of those far beyond the Fiio’s. I can wear the Senns for hours with no discomfort whereas the Fiio’s not so long before ear fatigues.

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #3,494 of 4,121
How is the weight of the new XM5s when it comes to comfort. I may be interested in a set of wireless buds to go along with my iems and I like the price point for these. But always concerned with weight/comfort with wireless Bluetooth buds. I can only compare with my current iems. I have a pair of Fiio FH5S that were my first set and they are fairly bulky and heavier. Then I switched to a Sennheiser set and loved the lightweight comfort feeling of those far beyond the Fiio’s. I can wear the Senns for hours with no discomfort whereas the Fiio’s not so long before ear fatigues.
Very light and very comfortable. Not bulky at all. I can sleep with them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back