New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Aug 1, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #3,466 of 4,139
Well arrived and straight on with my Spinfit silicons I used on XM4's.

I actually like the light colour mix

Will post immediate out of box thoughts bellow soon as connected to my Sony A307

OK paired LDAC to S21 & A307 and controls especially, volume control needs some work, compared to XM4.

Initial sound impressions are good, not the immediate bassy impact the XM4 delivered, but I prefer that.

Fit in my ears excellent and secure, much better size.
And as for audio quality, these are for convenience over sound quality. Probably best bud I've heard yet but not even close the the BT audio with my BTR7 connected to one of my premium IEM's (as you would expect).

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #3,467 of 4,139
And as for audio quality, these are for convenience over sound quality. Probably best bud I've heard yet but not even close the the BT audio with my BTR7 connected to one of my premium IEM's (as you would expect).
I too used the spinfits for the XM4 right out of the box. I never even put the included eartips on to try first. Did you try the tips that came with the XM5?

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #3,469 of 4,139
Can anyone test the Bluetooth volume on the A307 vs A306. Or A306 vs another Bluetooth device. I just to make sure I’m not imagining it lower on the A306.
I’m using the NYX+ on LDAC and the utws5 without LDAC so aptX HD on the A306.
on my capped 306 the volume using sony WH-1000XM4 using ldac is loud on both the sony walkman app and android apps (streaming etc).

however ive got some jabra elite 75 that are loud using the sony walkman app but very quiet using android apps like tidal etc. these dont use ldac

maybe that is the issue? i dont know but its very strange as theyre both using android and bluetooth volume is not meant to be capped so ive got no idea what's going on with the jabras.

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #3,470 of 4,139
ive got a d2. recently i bought an ibasso dx170 and a sony a306. of those two i prefer the sony. however the plenue sounds slightly better i reckon. theyre very similar but the plenue has a fuller lower end (in a good way) is how I would describe it.

i also prefer the cowon player app over the walkman

its sad cowon have gone under as i would definitely have bought an iteration that allowed streaming apps as well
some thoughts comparing the sony to an older and cheaper cowon plenue d2 player I have that i posted in another thread.

Aug 2, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #3,471 of 4,139
on my capped 306 the volume using sony WH-1000XM4 using ldac is loud on both the sony walkman app and android apps (streaming etc).

however ive got some jabra elite 75 that are loud using the sony walkman app but very quiet using android apps like tidal etc. these dont use ldac

maybe that is the issue? i dont know but its very strange as theyre both using android and bluetooth volume is not meant to be capped so ive got no idea what's going on with the jabras.
When using the UTW5 (aptX adaptive) I can max out the volume but increase it substantially more on the ear hooks device itself. This takes it an unbearable level.

When I use the Svanar Wireless over LDAC I can easily max out the volume on the device. Since it has no volume control I can’t increase it more but I doubt HifiMan would be able to sell more than a couple of these earphones if that was the max output.

Seems like I am getting an opposite issue to yours where high res streams over LDAC are not as loud. I’ve tried DSD and others but all low over LDAC.

Perplexing to say the least. I bought this device to play music using LDAC at the gym.

On a separate note you are saying that TIDAL is not giving you LDAC. LDAC if I am not mistaken is the Bluetooth codec used and you could stream Redbox or 24bit and it wouldn’t t make a difference to LDAC. The quality would change but not the codec though it may be overkill.

Aug 2, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #3,472 of 4,139
Can anyone test the Bluetooth volume on the A307 vs A306. Or A306 vs another Bluetooth device. I just to make sure I’m not imagining it lower on the A306.
I’m using the NYX+ on LDAC and the utws5 without LDAC so aptX HD on the A306.
Same as others have mentioned with me. Using Roon ARC requires higher volume setting than the walkman app. This is with the Sony WF 1000XM5 on a capped A306.

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #3,473 of 4,139
When using the UTW5 (aptX adaptive) I can max out the volume but increase it substantially more on the ear hooks device itself. This takes it an unbearable level.

When I use the Svanar Wireless over LDAC I can easily max out the volume on the device. Since it has no volume control I can’t increase it more but I doubt HifiMan would be able to sell more than a couple of these earphones if that was the max output.

Seems like I am getting an opposite issue to yours where high res streams over LDAC are not as loud. I’ve tried DSD and others but all low over LDAC.

Perplexing to say the least. I bought this device to play music using LDAC at the gym.

On a separate note you are saying that TIDAL is not giving you LDAC. LDAC if I am not mistaken is the Bluetooth codec used and you could stream Redbox or 24bit and it wouldn’t t make a difference to LDAC. The quality would change but not the codec though it may be overkill.
no what im saying is the sony headphones use ldac whereas the jabras dont support it and use aac and sbc.

the sony headphones work properly at proper volumes using all apps

the jabras work at proper volume using the sony walkman app only, but are quiet using any android app including tidal, etc

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #3,474 of 4,139
I received my new WF-1000XM5s a couple of days ago and have been using with my A306. I cannot get LDAC 990 to work smoothly even with the A306 in my shirt pocket (i.e. quite close). Has anyone been able to get reasonably solid connections at 990 or am I expecting too much?

Aug 2, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #3,475 of 4,139
I received my new WF-1000XM5s a couple of days ago and have been using with my A306. I cannot get LDAC 990 to work smoothly even with the A306 in my shirt pocket (i.e. quite close). Has anyone been able to get reasonably solid connections at 990 or am I expecting too much?
there are 2 forms of LDAC you can chose between. Try the one second from the top and that gave me a proper connection.

Aug 2, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #3,476 of 4,139
there are 2 forms of LDAC you can chose between. Try the one second from the top and that gave me a proper connection.

You mean 660 KHz?

Aug 2, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #3,477 of 4,139
I just connected my Svanar Wireless to the AK SP3000 and played Carbon Dioxide by Fever Ray at max and it was unbearable.
I then connected the Svanar Wireless to the A306 (capped) and full volume on the same track was at the fun level for me and I would have liked to push it more but the Sony limited it.

IMO the volume maxed on the Sony was about 65% of the max output I got from the AK.

Cap should not make a difference to bluetooth and this is really annoying making LDAC unusable for wireless earphones.

In both cases I used LDAC and the track was a master recording on Tidal.

To me this is strongly suggests that Sony is limiting the bluetooth volume output over LDAC.

Aug 2, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #3,478 of 4,139
You mean 660 KHz?
I don't have the option screen in front of me but from what I recall the highest ranked version of LDAC simply wouldn't work so I selected the one below it. There were only 2 options for LDAC.

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #3,479 of 4,139
I don't have the option screen in front of me but from what I recall the highest ranked version of LDAC simply wouldn't work so I selected the one below it. There were only 2 options for LDAC.

OK. I think you mean connection preferred in the bluetooth settings (not the Developer Options). That seems to pick LDAC "best effort" adaptive. If you pick sound quality preferred, it is 990/909 kbps which is near lossless for redbook audio, but it's not really usable for me, even at short range.

Aug 3, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #3,480 of 4,139
OK. I think you mean connection preferred in the bluetooth settings (not the Developer Options). That seems to pick LDAC "best effort" adaptive. If you pick sound quality preferred, it is 990/909 kbps which is near lossless for redbook audio, but it's not really usable for me, even at short range.
i have the wh1000xm4 headphones and select sound quality priority on the sony headphone app with no issues whatsoever.

if mine also use 990 then maybe its ur ear buds vs my headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back