New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Apr 5, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #2,867 of 4,121
So you need an external program to enable gesture controls? Do they work well, I mean are they fast and responsive?
To enable it yes, only because there is no option to turn on gesture controls in the settings by default, like other android devices have. I used adb app control and popped in a commands. It works great as long as you can get use to it. Works as if it was stock. If you haven’t used it before on android.. it’s swipe up to go home like iPhone. Swipe inwards from either edge of screen to go back. And if you don’t like it you can always reverse back to button controls. Some apps will take advantage of the extra screen space and others still cut it off. Here’s before and after pics with the Walkman app.

Attachments

• IMG_1139.jpeg
    IMG_1139.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1235.jpeg
    IMG_1235.jpeg
    832.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1140.jpeg
    IMG_1140.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1234.jpeg
    IMG_1234.jpeg
    901 KB · Views: 0
Apr 5, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #2,868 of 4,121
Has anyone tried aftermarket cables from this company/website? Or know their quality? I have Sennheiser iems and I love the sound with my a306 but do not like the standard black cable they come with. Looking for a more flexible soft cable I can easily roll up. Since Senn have their own proprietary mmcx connector, this brand was the only place I was able to find that offers cables for Sennheiser.

https://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable/For-IEM
The Null cables are superb and I use one of these with my IE300s.

Another good option (if you are happy with soldering) is to buy the Sennheiser compatible MMCX connectors from Aliexpress (super cheap) for and swap them for the regular MMCX connectors from any cable that you currently like.

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #2,869 of 4,121
Sorry to be such an idiot with this stuff... OK, so I got terminal to list the platform-tools path from the folder on my desktop, and recognize my device/serial. (I'm using *** to hide my actual computer name and serial cause I saw other people doing this so I figured I would too?)

Heres what I get:

./adb devices
List of devices attached
1**4819 device
as-MacBook-Pro:platform-tools ****$

but when I tried to run this command..

adb shell cmd overlay enable com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural

I get:

-bash: adb: command not found

What am I doing wrong? And also whats the command to remove the google search bar? I got rid of it using a launcher but I'd rather use adb in case the launcher takes extra battery life that I don't need to waste.

Again sorry for not getting this, I've been on Macs for over a decade and this stuff confuses the hell outta me.

Edit. lol at this turning : p into a tongue emoji

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #2,871 of 4,121
So the sdk tools link on that page doesn’t download as a zip. It’s already unzipped in the downloads folder with no further unzipping options with any of my zip programs. I’ve tried moving the entire sdk folder from downloads to my desktop and using the path command to find them either in downloads or desktop.

Either way I get a “no such file or directory” I can open the execution files (like the adb one in that downloaded folder) and they seem to install once I grant the security access and I get a terminal like looking window that they are installed and unpacked. But they seemingly aren’t actually integrated into terminal because nothing happens when I connect my device via usb according to the instructions.
Yes, MacOS automatically unzips file by default (open safe files after downloading in Safari Settings).
Sorry to be such an idiot with this stuff... OK, so I got terminal to list the platform-tools path from the folder on my desktop, and recognize my device/serial. (I'm using *** to hide my actual computer name and serial cause I saw other people doing this so I figured I would too?)

Heres what I get:

./adb devices
List of devices attached
1**4819 device

but when I tried to run this command..

adb shell cmd overlay enable com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural

I get:

-bash: adb: command not found

What am I doing wrong? And also whats the command to remove the google search bar? I got rid of it using a launcher but I'd rather use adb in case the launcher takes extra battery life that I don't need to waste.

Again sorry for not getting this, I've been on Macs for over a decade and this stuff confuses the hell outta me.

Edit. lol at this turning : p into a tongue emoji

You have to type ./adb:

./adb shell cmd overlay enable com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural

the "./" means current directory in MacOS/Unix/Linux... otherwise it only looks in $PATH for the command.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #2,872 of 4,121
In my first post on the thread I mentioned that I contacted Sony about the volume cap and they refused a refund because I missed the 30 day return by a few days because of unforseen circumstances. After that I posted on BBB about how a return should be accepted as nowhere does sony advertise the volume cap.

I finally got a response:

Thank you for contacting Sony Electronics Inc. regarding the complaint your office received from Herkiran Toor about the Sony Network Walkman NWA306/B. Customer's unit is working within specifications, but we will take his concern as a feedback nevertheless. Sony does not offer exchange, more so with refund (not part of warranty) due to product dissatisfaction. Exchange is only applicable for hardware failures. Sony is unable to grant customer's request. Sony's statement is final and will not change.

Bold mine

An unadvertised volume cap for certain regions is NOT product dissatisfaction.

BBB won't do anymore.

Anyone want to buy a 306 lol (joke, I don't want to get banned for trying to sell).
There is a Classifieds section where you can sell stuff. Just remember to read and abide by the rules there :)

Apr 5, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #2,873 of 4,121
I did the update a few days ago. Was convimced that I didn't have any bass issues as that sounded fine.

However, I have noticed that before the update the instruments were all separated brilliantly and had beautiful crystal clear clarity. Background instrmemts came alive, nothing was over powering it just sounded fab. I've never heard some of the tracks, even on Spotify, sound so good.
Since the update that doesn't seem to be the case. It still sounds good but I feel the background instruments are not as dynamic and appear subdued compared to before.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has encountered the same?

Apr 5, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #2,874 of 4,121
I did the update a few days ago. Was convimced that I didn't have any bass issues as that sounded fine.

However, I have noticed that before the update the instruments were all separated brilliantly and had beautiful crystal clear clarity. Background instrmemts came alive, nothing was over powering it just sounded fab. I've never heard some of the tracks, even on Spotify, sound so good.
Since the update that doesn't seem to be the case. It still sounds good but I feel the background instruments are not as dynamic and appear subdued compared to before.

Hi, the weird thing for me is I didn't have the bass issue. I updated the dap and oddly think that the sound sounds off at times, especially when using Bluetooth earbuds. Strange 🤔

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #2,876 of 4,121
Unfortunately, the A306 that I bought from Amazon UK is going back. It doesn't matter what I try to do, it will never scan all of the albums on my sd card and has the habit of deleting some of them from the card. I love the sound from the device, but I'll be going back to my DX170.
If you were to choose only one which is better if you haven't have that problem?

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #2,877 of 4,121

I didn't know for sure whether I had the bass issue pre-update, it really was confusing as on some IEMs things seemed fine to me, but very clearly, it now transpires that I did have the -10db of bass.

As we have noted, the clarity and instrument separation on the A300 series is phenomenal.
Like you, background instruments on tracks that I had known for over 45 years and had played quite literally, many many hundreds of times, have come alive in the mix, some I had never even heard! 😲

These background instruments remain boosted in the mix post update, but now they have a deep, warm and rich feel with the added 10db of bass.

The only thing I would add and perhaps of note.
On some IEMs, the update had zero effect, absolutely nothing. :thinking:
On another set, just a mild increase.

On one set however, it was an astounding uplift in quality which totally blew my mind! 🤯

Having loved these IEMs for the best part of 10 years, I was so disappointed in them when paired with the A306, that I was about to drop $600-$700 in the hope of finding the sound I wanted in a new set.

Now though, the sound on these IEMs is just as I want to hear almost every track just on Direct, so this owner is blissfully happy with the new Walkman and having a variety of mix options. :ksc75smile:

Bottom line, I totally recommend everyone tries a few (and very different) types of headphones or IEMs.
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #2,878 of 4,121
Yes, definitely doesn't sound as crisp and expansive as before.

Take your EQ and take at least 5 db down from 500 hz. Or at least 125 hz. It was a perfect type of shelf filter. Rlw6534 could give you the exact or close settings I think. Your low mids and bass were cut by 10db yes everything is going to sound clearer. But it's not going to be accurate and as full sounding. I didn't have the problem and I can easily pick stuff out.

Maybe give it time for you to adjust to the sound. But I'm sure you can EQ it and get a similar effect.

Apr 5, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #2,880 of 4,121
Take your EQ and take at least 5 db down from 500 hz. Or at least 125 hz. It was a perfect type of shelf filter. Rlw6534 could give you the exact or close settings I think. Your low mids and bass were cut by 10db yes everything is going to sound clearer. But it's not going to be accurate and as full sounding. I didn't have the problem and I can easily pick stuff out.

Maybe give it time for you to adjust to the sound. But I'm sure you can EQ it and get a similar effect.

I gave him some to try in PM but it was only by guessing. I did just fire up REW and spent some time getting it as close as I could with EQ. If we had PEQ it would be easy with a single filter:

31 Hz = -8.5
62 Hz = -4.5
125 Hz =-4.5
250 Hz = -3.0
500 Hz = -1.0

@Saf10 - these should be better as I actually measured on REW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back